Guide: How To Enable 'proper' Darkness In Tsw 2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Sep 2, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It seems my previous thread about the lighting at night was quite popular. So I am going to create a guide on how to play with 'proper' darkness. As we all know by now, TSW 2's night and early morning lighting is flawed, buggy and quite simply abysmal looking. So this guide will show you how to play TSW 2 with something that is quite a rarity within the game - darkness!

DISCLAIMER:
    - This only works with TSW 2 & the Bakerloo and Köln routes. So no preserved content will work with this method or SPG.
    - You can only choose the stated weather setting and time(s) as shown in the instructions.
    - This DOES NOT work at night. Only in the morning due to the flawed lighting in TSW.

INSTRUCTIONS:

- Step 1.)
    Launch any of the two TSW 2 routes provided. (Bakerloo or Köln Schnellfahrstrecke) This DOES NOT work with Sand Patch Grade

- Step 2.)
    Navigate to the Explore on foot menu.

- Step 3.)
    Change the 'presents'/weather option to Autumn Mist and pull the Cloud Level slider to off.

- Step 4.)
    Press E to go to the next screen and change the time to 06:30

Step 5.)
    Press ESC to go BACK to the previous screen and now pull the Cloud Level slider to the max. You should see the screen go darker.

Step 6.)
    Press E to go to the next screen. It will have remembered your start time so just select the starting point and you're ready to go!

Enjoy your dark, misty mornings!

dark misty.jpg
    ICE.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Oh thanks for the info I'll try this

3. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

This looks amazing and it's not pitch dark either. Why can't we have this as the default night lighting?

• Like Like x 1
  4. hightower

hightower Guest

Because it’s been bugged and broken for nearly 4 years and DTG haven’t fixed it. It’s not even on the roadmap to be looked at. Great, isn’t it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. londonmidland

It seems their 24 hour cycle of ‘dynamic lighting’ is broken and/or buggy/flawed. Whilst the skies get darker at night, the lighting on the ground does not react to the changes appropriately. Therefore, I believe something isn’t working as it should.

I have little to no confidence that this will be fixed anytime soon, as this has been a day one issue in TSW. In fact I don’t even think any developers/DTG has acknowledged this issue?

We all know TSW 2 is capable of displaying proper darkness, as shown above, however it’s very limited in capacity.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Thanks LondonMidland . . . this is perfect. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think they changed it because older TSW routes, like NTP are very dark at night, and players were complaining that it was too dark.

8. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

• Like Like x 1
  9. londonmidland

No, it’s broken. The images below clearly show this as I will demonstrate.

Same weather settings, same seasons. Times stated on top of image.

23:00
    D9DE4918-EA6E-461A-81E8-31F61BF15342.png

07:00
    9C31D0B6-F865-480A-9676-828F98EA63A8.png

So tell me why on earth 07:00 looks (rightly) significantly darker than 23:00?! Clearly something is broken with the 24 hour dynamic lighting.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The nights often look strange in TSW2. Glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks so. I hope DTG will improve on this.