Emd Gp60m And Gp60b Loco Proposal:

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by josh.ostrowski03, Sep 1, 2020.

1. josh.ostrowski03

josh.ostrowski03 Active Member

Before I start, I am aware of Eyein12's GP60M being an already existing option for anyone who wants this locomotive, but I feel that the modeling on his is a bit off from the original. It kind of lies in an uncanny valley of looking close to the original, but being just 'off' a little bit. It may just be me being a sucker for little details, but it is kind of off-putting for me. This is not meant to be a rant about Eyein12 doing a bad job, I hope this can be seen as a honest critique of his work. OK on to the topic at hand:

The EMD GP60M was a special variant of the GP60 with a wide cab design, making it the only wide cab GP series locomotive built for a US customer. The GP60B was a cabless variant of the GP60, making it the newest cabless EMD since the GP30B. Both of these variants used the 16 cylinder 710G3A prime mover making 3,800 horsepower, and had a B-B wheel arrangement. Both of these special GP60 variants were built as a special order from the Santa Fe for their new "SuperFleet" locomotive fleet, being delivered in 1990. They were to be used in high-speed intermodal service along with the GE B40-8W's, which were also exclusive to the Santa Fe.

The GP60M's and GP60B's would be used in this role throughout the 1990's, through the end of the Santa Fe and into the BNSF era, where they would be gradually put into local service through the 2000's. in the early 2010's, BNSF would begin overhauling their GP60M fleet to be more efficient, these rebuilds would be called GP60M-3's. BNSF still owns most of the GP60B's they inherited from the Santa Fe, with some being rebuilt with cabs.

These 2 unique locomotives would be a great addon to Train Simulator because there is a definite lack of Santa Fe content beyond the SD45-2, and Raton Pass, so this locomotive could expand the range of Santa Fe and BNSF content to choose from. The locomotives could come with scenarios for routes like Raton Pass, Pacific Surfliner, Marias Pass, or Cajon Pass (maybe too old).
    Below are pictures of both GP60M's and GP60B's in possible paint schemes that could be included.
    Santa Fe Warbonnet:
    GP60M1.jpg
    BNSF H4 (GP60M-3):
    GP60M5.jpg
    GP60M #146 Maersk:
    GP60M4.jpg
    GP60B Warbonnet:
    GP60B2.jpg
    GP60B H1:
    GP60B4.jpg
    If you think that this would be a good addon, please discuss in the replies. Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I'd love these!

• Like Like x 2
  3. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I think I made a similar suggestion a few months ago. These would be great to have in the game!

• Like Like x 2
  4. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

To bad BNSF licensing exists. It'd still be really cool though.

• Like Like x 3
  5. josh.ostrowski03

In not sure how BNSF's licensing works beyond the fact that they don't want anyone outside the US using their logo. Do you know?

6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

It's just that any loco that has the BNSF logo on it can only be sold within the US, for it to be sold outside the US it would have to be unbranded.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. josh.ostrowski03

Thanks for the information! I thought I might have missed something in their licensing. I does suck that ATSF, BN, and BNSF content can only be properly enjoyed in the US, but this locomotive would still be a nice addition to the game. I will finally be able to accurately model 1990's ATSF!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would love these engines on Cajon Pass as well. I think there should be an ATSF GP60 Pack and a BNSF GP60 Pack. The ATSF GP60 pack should include an ATSF GP60M and GP60B, plus a standard Spartan Cab GP60 in ATSF Blue/Yellow Warbonnet livery. The pack could also include a few flat cars and other intermodal cars with and without loads. The BNSF versions should be a separate pack of BNSF GP60Ms and GP60Bs (in BNSF/ATSF patched Superfleet Warbonnet, BNSF H1, and BNSF H3) and a BNSF/ATSF patched and BNSF H3 GP60. Perhaps the Maersk version could be sold separately as a reskin DLC.

• Like Like x 3
  9. josh.ostrowski03

Im not sure about scenarios for Cajon Pass due to the route being so old, but I like where your going with the Maersk version being sold as a marketplace livery. The main pack could also include some 5 unit articulated double-stack intermodal cars, like the ones that come with Montana Hi-Line.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I agree it does suck that those of us outside the US cannot get the branded version.

• Like Like x 2
  11. josh.ostrowski03

If the Maersk version were to be made, it should also come with Maersk branded 5 car articulated double stacks:
    GP60M8.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. josh.ostrowski03

Its good to know that there are others out there who support this idea!

• Like Like x 2
  13. ATSF 801

ATSF 801 New Member

this is well needed hopefully it comes soon as for we do have the NS GP60 now we need more so maybe itll come soon

• Like Like x 3
  14. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

i want this to come to steam and i really like your idea and i think it should not get the usual price of $19.99 US instead it should be like $14.99 US but that is my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  15. josh.ostrowski03

We can all wish for it to be $14.99 but if the pack were to include both the GP60M and GP60B in multiple paint schemes, it would have to be pricey. I would be fine paying a full $20 if the pack also came with new rolling stock, but thats just how I roll.

• Like Like x 1
  16. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

josh.ostrowski03 agreed everyone can wish that the steam winter sale would be year-round! i would pay full price for this if it had a BNSF fakebonnit version included in it also!

• Like Like x 2
  17. josh.ostrowski03

Hey guys, I'm returning to this thread to add some more details to my proposal:
    1: With the recent release of the Arizona Divide route, I think that this would be a perfect route for the GP60M/B's because of their use on top priority trains with trailers and stacks alongside the GE B40-8W which is already included with the AZ Divide route, with many possibilities for both included and community scenarios.

2: I have thought of what rolling stock could be included with this pack and here are my ideas:
    Gunderson Maxi I articulated intermodal car with both 40ft and 20ft containers
    Frontrunner spine car
    85ft TOFC flatcars

I hope that this post can spark some new interest in this thread!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I fel like the best bet for this to happen, would be for Milepost Simulations to make another Santa Fe route set around the same time as Raton and Arizona Divide, but include the GP60M and GP60B as default stock, instead of reusing the B40-8W again.....

• Like Like x 3
  19. ATSF 801

ATSF 801 New Member

yeah i like this idea the GP60M is a well needed loco for this game due to have now 2 good routes for it run on with the amount of people who would like this unit im sure you could drum up a good sale out of it i mean GP60M an B unit in one paint the repainters will do the rest the stock could be the same old stock we get with maybe a ATSF marking on the 3 bay hoppers due to the santa fe having centerflows like that but thats just my 2 cents

• Like Like x 2
  20. Marcus

Marcus New Member