PlayStation New Train Query Fp40ph-2c

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by whiteleyaj, Sep 3, 2020.

1. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

I may be doing this wrong.....but..... when I set up the train and the brake system
    cut in
    Lead or dead

The brakes are a) a bit dicky as they will apply but I have to manually release
    BUT
    b) the engine doesnt engage - do power /throttle

unless I reset the brake to Trail 24 or 28 - Then throttle works but brakes dont.

Im forever switching between the different brakes and my timings are therefore out of whack.....

Any advice - I always thought the main engine being driven was always lead or dead? How its set up in all training scenarios covered.

Thanks (in advance)

2. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yes you should set up as normal.

This loco is a little different in that it uses manual lapping brakes- move handle to "apply" until the brake pressure is where you want it, then move back to "lap" to hold it. Move to "release" to release brakes.

Also you need to use a little more throttle than you might think. I usually start-off in notch 3 or 4, up to notch 6 by 10mph, notch 7 by 20mph, then notch 8 by 25mph. You could probably be even more aggressive.

• Like Like x 2
  3. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

Hi - Thanks Ill relook at the brakes - But just to be clear with the brake set to lead / dead no throttle occurs at all. No revs (if car terminology applies) or anything - nothing - zip. But move to trail 24..... apply throttle and it immediately kicks in but the brakes seem super lousy and unresponsive. But maybe thats to do with your first part of the response. Ill try and feedback......

4. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

Thanks - seems to be running great now

5. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

I did for some reason at a station have no power again fiddled with everything and had to go back to switching the lead dead / Trail 24 or 28 back and forth to get brakes to work in syn c and the throttle when leaving station..but then could switch it immediately back - unsure if this is a bug?????.. I was running so smoothly for an hour too ....

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

With this loco you shouldn’t have to touch the MU valve at all for normal use, as it’s set up already. I haven’t looked at it recently but it may show as being the opposite setting than it actually is when you hover over the valve (a bug), and that tallies with what you’re saying. I’ll check it out next time I use it.

If you also have the switcher DLC there is a double F40 for the special train that you assemble but other than that, operation of the MU valve by the player is not required. Even in that double unit, I think the MU valve is bugged and can’t be set correctly but I’d have to check that as well. It’s a while since I did it.

7. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

Just make sure the automatic is Cut In and the Independent is Lead/Dead, and they should work fine. As far as the braking system, I haven't one singular clue with the F40 and Nippon cab car were modeled with 6 air, but they were...and it's a pain.

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Okay, I’ve figured out the MU-2A valve on the F40PH.

When you start a service, the MU-2A valve appears (if you hover over the control) to be set to Trail 24 or 26 but actually acts as though it is in Lead or Dead. Switching it to Lead or Dead makes no difference here. Once you have switched it to Lead or Dead you can then switch it back to Trail 24 or 26 and it will actually be set to Trail 24 to 26. It is at this point that the brakes will not release and that will lock out the throttle.

So, I was correct in saying that you don’t need to set it at the start of a service because it’s set to Lead even if it looks like it is set to Trail. It makes no difference if you switch it to Lead or don’t switch it at all. But once you have switched it to Lead the first time it will act as expected whenever you switch it again.

I hope you understand all that. Nothing is ever simple when there is a complicated system and a complicated bug combining to make your head ache.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2