More North American Freight Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MattBarrick, Aug 14, 2020.

1. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

First of all I would like to mention I like heavy freight trains, but also passenger trains. Both European and US ones.

As to European ones, we already have several routes with both passenger and freight, from Germany - lot of them - , some from UK too.
    Even more coming according with the roadmap.
    Great!

Other special train type are high speed ones: We already have one, and 2 more coming as to roadmap!
    Great 2!

Even other routes types are coming, apart from the subway Bakerloo already launched.

But the US heavy freight trains routes, are in the worst situation of the most requested trains and routes type ones!

Let me explain why:

- Today we have the Sand Patch Grade.
    This route is really nice!
    But it was the first one for TSW - so the older one on this sim - despite it was upgraded for TSW2.

- PenĂ­nsula corridor, it has also UP freight trains. But they are small ones.
    They are ok for this route. But the locomotives and freight cars are really limited. Just one locomotive model, and 2 freight cars.
    The main train for this route are the Caltrain ones.
    I love this route too!
    But this is not the heavy and bigger trains fans really likes and claim for.

- NEC is exactly the same situation as PC mentioned above.
    But with an extra and negative point. It not be included on TSW2!
    Furthermore we will miss Amtrak trains!
    Not included also on the Roadmap.

- The situation is getting worrying when you check the Roadmap!

Cane Creek seems to be the only heavy freight route.
    Checking this route - I did not know before, as this is not one of the known heavy freights, or even requested by the related fans - I discovered it is not a route, it is a branch line, of only 36 miles!
    Heavy freight as they are really big and long, requires longer routes.

Good news it will be UP this time.
    Which I like it and hope the new route be from another company.

But there are bad news: the locomotives will be exactly the same of Sand Patch: the AC4400C and SD40-2.

This take me to another sad news about US heavy freight trains:

- No new locomotives. Just a repaint of the previous ones!.
    Which as mentioned, are the first locomotives TSW did! The older ones in this simulator.

- Furthermore another locomotive is planned on the Roadmap for SPG. ...
    Unfortunately will be an older heavy freight locomotive version of the GE Dash series!

We the heavy freight fans have been requesting modern locomotives, not older ones.
    Several threads and post have been requesting modern versions of the GE Dash9, the GEVOs ones as ES44AC / DC or the latest Tier 4. This will imply to the developers not a complete new locomotive. Just some modifications to the trucks, windows, radiators, and other details. The locomotive cab is also really similar to the current AC4400CW.
    This locomotives are used by several train companies so repaints on the Livery Designer were more real world ones!
    The CW it have specific trucks, only CSX and CN have it

No modern EMD / Progress Rail locomotives as SD70 ACE and T4 were be available either soon.

So european trains have old and modern trains on TSW.
    But US freight ones only have old ones. No modern locomotives!
    Please notice AC4400CW was launched on 1994. More than 20 years ago!

As to routes Matt has explained there is no limitation about length.
    The problem to make longer routes is the details of the routes required for TSW2 starndards.
    Which it is completely reasonable for me. I fully understand that!
    So for that reason I suggested some time ago, to make heavy freight routes which does not requires so much details as the ones on semi desert zones of California, Arizona, Texas, Nevada. Very few objects are required to include there, small trees or bushes, small towns, with no big buildings, etc.
    Then we could have a route of at least around 120 / 140 kms of this kind..
    There are several famous heavy freight routes on those States.

Furthermore those routes are not grade pass. So we get another kind of!
    Are fast heavy freight and or routes with several curves, altitude differences, which makes a really challenge for this kind of trains and its engineers. So lot of fun to run it!
    I already experienced this on Open rails.
    Even DTG has this kind of routes for Train Simulator!

So in resume:
    Please don't get me wrong!
    I love TSW and now TSW2.
    It is the best ever simulator regarding realism and visual quality.
    As mentioned I also like very much other kind of trains and of other countries, including of current routes, preserved collection, and several of the new ones in the roadmap.
    But for the fans of north american modern heavy freight trains, - which there are lot of them here - frankly speaking, the roadmap details are not good news for us.
    Hope on new updates of the roadmap, will be this kind of routes available!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Mr_Crazey

Mr_Crazey Active Member

There's a lot of mixed use routes in NA. Take the Amtrak Cascades route for instance, you have Amtrak Cascades running intercity passenger service from Vancouver BC to Eugene Oregon, then you have the sounder Commuter Train that just runs from Everett to Tacoma, and you have UP/BSNS freight lines that all share the same tracks. So you could get Freight, Intercity, and Commuter trains all one line, and you get the beautiful view of the cascades and beautiful citys of Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland. A little bit of everything for everyone.

You don't have to want just freight or just passenger service. I prefer freight but I don't want DTG to stop making passenger lines because I know other players enjoy them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

No Amtrak on the Roadmap yet. I'm sure it will appear sometime.

Did you notice the Clinchfield railroad route with an SD40-2 and F7?

• Like Like x 1
  4. grdaniel48

Yes for sure I know what you have mentioned!.
    But please notice I am not against passenger trains! I love them too!
    I even mentioned that!.
    I was just talking about the situation of heavy freights routes and trains.

I have mentioned on another thread, one of my favourites routes I have enjoyed a lot, was on Open Rails,an it is BNSF Seligman subdivision. There you have several heavy freights, but also Amtrak trains too! The route itself it is like the one I am proposing above.
    It is a really great route!

I like also Amtrak trains!
    NEC route is one of my favourites of TSW!
    Modern electric locomotive.
    Really entertained to drive as it is a bit challenging due to continuous change on speed limits, and going uphill and downhill, and great bridges, and stations!
    Just a bit short one.

The problem for Amtrak trains, it is there is no route or trains for this company on the roadmap either.

So please do not get me wrong about my comments of my previous post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grdaniel48

Hi Challenger.
    You were right.
    My comments and complains were about - as mentioned - specifically about the lack of modern heavy trains, - and other routes for this kind of trains - ,according of what we have today, and was informed in the roadmap.
    Meanwhile for other kind of routes and trains, there are or will be more options.
    This is a real and concrete fact!

So I do not understand why you disagree with me.
    You mentioned you like older freight locomotives. That is ok!
    I would like also very much to drive the F7! It is a wonderful locomotive!
    Then you will be happy because this kind of locos, will be arriving in the near future.

I am not blaming DTG either. for Crane Creek. I know it will be made by other company.
    But it is included in the TSW2 Roadmap published by DTG.

My post it was NOT against anybody, DTG or other types of routes and trains, or any other preference of the community about trains.

It is just to raise the lack and aware about of the modern heavy freight add-ons.
    Several other community members have mentioned they are fans of them. too.

Even I mentioned this is not the only kind of trains I like. I like most of them!.
    Diesel / Electric, Freight / Passenger / North American / European or other countries.
    Australia also have interesting heavy freights. Brazil too.

I have more than 20 years running train simulators, including Microsoft TS, Open Rails and Rail Simulator.
    All of them it have several heavy freight routes.
    Even DTG it have several ones for Train Simulator too.
    But it is not the case for TSW2.

Hope everything be clear now about it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

After reading this post (and a lot of thinking), I take back my disagreement and to say this, you do have a point actually.
    I guess it's been a while since I've seen another American mainline freight route since Sandpatch. I was hoping DTG would do another US mainline freight with the time and quality they've got so far, and that was before TSW2 as well. And when Oakville was released I thought, they could've done better with that route. And Sandpatch V2 has been, so far, the best US route of all kinds of freight services (Coal Trains as local, Cumberland Yard for switching, and the mainline for Heavy Haul) than the original counterpart (which is mostly mainline use).

And from my mind, I thought your previous post feels a little offensive as you put in just modern to the subject. And I thought you didn't know what is on the roadmap so that's my bad on my part. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the modern era routes. But sometimes I just don't like modern locos that people would love to see in their backyard (mostly with GEVOs and ACes these days). Plus I don't like passenger commuters as I would like a long and relaxing route instead of stoping from station to station at short distances (except for the F40/Genesis/Charges).

But it is clear now that other than Clinchfeild, there is a need for more US routes, with freight or mixed services (passengers and freight) on the mainline, with a few yards and branches if so. And it wouldn't be harmful to have more than just the modern era for TSW2. So that way, everyone is happy. So I'm sorry about what I posted earlier (which is gone by the time you get this). Guess the NA is more left out than the UK or Germany for TSW then. So that needs to be changed for future projects for sure.

Note: If you read this far. Then yes, I know Clear Creek could use improvements with the locos. Other than the reused AC44 and SD40. Hopefully next time we'll see new locos on the roster for a new route (or a new Loco add-on). But, we'll have to see on the next update of the roadmap (or railmap, either way) 2 weeks from now.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. grdaniel48

Challenger.
    Thank you very much for your last post!.
    It seems you could understand what was really my intention, and what I was talking specifically requesting for.
    As you had misunderstood it.
    Please also notice I do not live in the US!
    Even not closer!
    So no the chance to see those great trains on my backyard.

Apart from that I posted not only as a personal issue.
    it was due. several other community members have already expressed they also would like to have more US heavy freight routes.
    Furthermore they also wishes to have much modern locomotives

Please notice today you have on TSW the SD40 -2.
    Which was the main locomotive in the USA for heavy freights during the 70s and 80s.
    I like this locomotive too!

Then for the situation for newest heavy freight US locomotives the situation is not "so far... so good", it is "so far... we are still waiting for" ;)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

No, I do understand what your intentions were (even if your from another country). Just I see waaay too many people in here (or anywhere with DTG) always wanting the modern era routes and locos because that is what most are more, not only familiar with but what they see more in common nowadays. While I was hoping in more of a diverse era US route (as well as other countries) for TSW like Tees Valley. So you see why I look forward more to the Heritage era locos routes than the modern ones. Like CRR.
    SD40-2 is one of the many locos still used in the modern days (And not as a heavy hauler since it is a Road-Switcher after all)(And I enjoy more with the AC44 than a SD40 on SPG). And yet people still want to go for the more common types, like GEVOs, and ACes, because they are the most useful that are still in service.

And again not shooting an arrow to the knee. But I've would've gone with older locos just because I want to drive something old fashion. Just to see how they operate back in those days. Rather than what most people like these days for US freight in TSW (Which I see mostly is just modern nowadays).
    But again, that's just me. And I'm not trying to make this into an argument. It's just my own personal thought.
    If you don't get it, then I say no more.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  10. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

SD40's can still be found on Class 1 railroads today, though not on mainline freights (At least around here), got lucky and caught this one on a local train earlier this year however...
    DSCN0118.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

It's nice this thread turned out to be peaceful

12. MattBarrick

MattBarrick Member

What about a Norfolk Southern route?

• Like Like x 3
  13. wbuzz1

wbuzz1 New Member

Definitely More heavy US Freight routes needed I would be happy to pay for these additions

• Like Like x 3
  14. Th3RaMbLeR

Th3RaMbLeR New Member

max allowable speed for freight on BNSF is 70 MPH. BNSF locomotives hit their overspeed at 73 MPH. Personally, mountain railroading isn't any more entertaining than flat railroading, You're either in run 8 or dynamic 8. I'd love to see some routes with more undulating terrain. Having your train going up and down 2-3 separate hills is a huge challenge and you are constantly adjusting your throttle to maintain control.

15. Justin Navarro

Justin Navarro Member

that is the best way to put it I could haVE NOT said it better myself.

• Like Like x 1