Will You Ever Fix The Workshop?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by gdjsky01, Sep 5, 2020.

1. gdjsky01

gdjsky01 New Member

upload_2020-9-4_20-58-0.png

This has been ongoing for MONTHS

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Workshop is run by STEAM not DTG

3. gdjsky01

gdjsky01 New Member

And I care about that? Since its TRAIN SIM 2020 THAT CRASHES? Please try and be helpful.

4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Well I'm guessing you mean the Drive/Workshop tab in TS rather than the Workshop section of Steam. It's never been much use and pretty much everything it's supposed to do you can do elsewhere either within TS or the Steam application so it's easy enough to work around...

But I don't think I want to help someone who asks half a question then snipes at anyone who tries to answer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you had an Apple phone and the software for it was faulty would you expect Samsung to fix it?

The Workshop is a place that anyone can upload a route or scenario but there is nobody to check any problems with what has been uploaded so If Joe Smith uploads his scenario and it causes people computers to have problems who's fault is it?
    You could leave Joe Smith a message and hope he might do something but he might not bother.

DTG can not control what is uploaded to the Workshop no more that they can control what is uploaded to a fan website like UKTS or RW America - the difference is Scenarios/routes etc that get uploaded to a fan website get looked at and if there is a problem you can leave a message and it would get fixed.

There are a number of people who have had a problem with a Workshop Scenario causing problems with they computer crashing or not even stating - unsubscribing from the offending route/scenario usually fixes it

If you don't wish Train Sim 2020 to crash then don't use the Workshop

Peter

6. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

It's an issue we're aware of and are working to resolve. As soon as there is any more information we'll let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Jamie
    The download issues with the Steam Workshop have been going on for a few years now - so how much more information is needed?:love:
    Since circa 2017 I have only downloaded and installed WS scenarios manually to avoid errors and OOMs.
    The WS dl process has been hit or miss since around that time.
    I seemed to recall that around 2015/16/17 Steam changed the search and possibly other options in the workshop and that seemed to cause a corruption when using the download interface in TS. Certainly it was never the same after that, and the search function is not that good!

• Like Like x 1
  8. mike370

mike370 Active Member

+1

Peter has pretty much nailed all the key problems - alll dating back several years. Serious glitches reported repeatedly by numerous players over this timeframe. We've been promised it's being investigated for a long time now - with unfortunately no obvious sign of any progress being made.

Frequent corrupted downloads are a major problem, & resposnsible for regularly crashing players' game. The poor tagging (& subsequent hopeless filtering) means the search function now desperately poor - it's really hard to find anything. It's only the last 3 or so years that things have become so very messy.

Playing WS scenarios from the in-game Workshop menu (which was a very convenient way of finding/accessing them in the game) has been pretty broken for several years now. Most players these days forced to find/play WS scenarios directly through the main Drive menus.

In summary, the Workshop used to work extremely well, both care of the Steam WS library & the WS features in-game. However, the whole WS system now in need of some serious TLC to make it properly fit for use again. Here's hoping DTG are on the case as repeatedly promised. Thanks.

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Simple answer, remove the in game interface. It was only ever "an assist" anyway

• Like Like x 1
  10. mike370

mike370 Active Member

It is so depressing to read suggestions like this. Why not just give DTG the full go ahead to strip out any feature from the game that's now broken (or semi-glitched). As opposed to actually fix them. Features that used to fully work, and did so well - and have been popular with many players; even if they're not of any direct value to you & you're happy to live with such problems.

I'm assuming you must be a big TSW(2) fan, that pretty much doesn't much care if TS20xx were simply abandoned tomorrow in a poor working state. If as a player one has sunk thousands of pounds into hundreds of DLC over the years, might it not be reasonable to at least expect the core game & its features to be properly maintained & working?

11. ARuscoe

This is the point. The workshop is NOT a core feature of the game. It's a side feature intended to make it easier to access the STEAM workshop without leaving the train sim interface
    So remove it from the thing that's breaking, use the thing that still works and away you go.
    I say the same about the shop interface (which also breaks frequently)

Last I checked my investment just topped £1000 in TSx. I have never used the shop or workshop from within TSx...

12. ARuscoe

Looks like some workshop fixes have been announced as part of TS2021... fingers crossed I guess

13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Please don't post things like this, it makes me (almost) consider how much I've spent until I give my head a wobble and "Just look at the flowers Lizzie" the silly idea away.

14. ARuscoe

It's fine... I remember how much more fun TSx is than the kids, and they cost more than that in school uniform...