Tsw2: The Good Things

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stinkyheadsman, Sep 7, 2020.

1. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

Alright guys, I thought today, I would compile the positives on TSW2. Please bear in mind that this is all sourced from what i have seen people say on these forums. I will edit this post based on what people have added in the comments as well.

• Slightly better lighting
    • Adhesion Physics*
    • Scenario Planner, Livery Editor
    • More informative HUD**
    • 4K support
    • Better distance rendering
    • Better German safety systems
    • New level of transparency with the roadmap
    *Unknown if this works as it should, there is a forum thread on this, saying that wheelslip will happen almost spontaneously.
    **Some people think it's ugly or intrusive, even tho it tells you more. All up to personal opinion.

Please leave anything in the replies. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Very nice. Time to add some positivity to these threads.

Personally I had no issues with adhesion so far, worked from what I felt believable for both new and collection trains, though of course I have no physics knowledge on how it would perform irl.

The overall looks seem better to me, started up TSW2020 recently and felt it looked not as satisfactory as Tsw2, but I could not say specifically why.

Also I have to commend DTG on the designs of the 2 new routes, the attention to detail and the overall scenery is great. I really hope we will stay at this level, there were some older routes that could really benefit from more scenery around the route (NTP I only like to drive in fog)

And last but not least, I like the current level of information display and overall contact with the community. The streams are fun and informative, and I like the fact that we are going away from speculation and distant possibles, and rather focus on what we have and what is definitely coming.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The increased draw distance, 4K and better lighting (especially at night on most routes) are all positives for me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The new physics is probably my favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

1. The new physics - a BIG step ahead.
    2. The evolution of German routes - LZB.
    3. The new incarnation of Sand Patch Grade and overall graphics changes, which made the picture brighter / clearer.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Thanks for this thread, it's great to see what you're enjoying. I will be keeping my eye on what else get's posted in here.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  7. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

I will edit my original post based on what other people have said here so that it is easier to find see what people like without having to scroll through everything.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Adhesion Physics (Yes mentioned before, but a very big deal enhancing the challenge and thereby the fun)

Greater attention to detail in many regards, not only visual.

The improved German Safety Systems

The decision to incorporate the Preserved Collection. I am so grateful for that.

• Like Like x 5
  9. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

I agree with you, never played TSW2020 only TSxx. TSW2 is a step in the right direction and now with High Speed introduced aswell and more added routes from TSxx. Köln Schnellfahrstrecke route is beautiful needs more services only downside so far.

• Like Like x 2
  10. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

To be honest, it from what it looks like on the roadmap, they genuinely could not do highspeed, considering that there are now 2 things on the railmap dealing with high speed. Steamers, not too sure about tho...

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Agree with everything said so far, especially the HUD and the lighting.
    I would add:
    1. Very well optimized for graphics quality and performance.
    2. Great bang for the buck. Where I come from it's less than a decent breakfast or a tank of gas. And you get to enjoy it forever.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hightower

hightower Guest

Are you talking about consoles because as far as the PC goes, baring the obvious, almost none of that is new and/or has changed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

Just bolded major changes on the PC.

14. hightower

hightower Guest

Yeah, I'd almost agree but I think 2 of the PC Specific ones are highly debatable.

I don't believe there have been any changes to rendering distance at all, and without changes to the .ini file scenery LODDs are still popping into focus right in front of the train. The shadow draw distance is also no different.

Regarding the German safety systems, they're not better. PZB & SiFA work exactly as they did in TSW2020, the only difference now being that they've simulated LZB on the ICE 3. That's something new rather than something better and is a very welcome and cool addition.

Beyond that, and FWIW, the HUD tells you exactly the same information as it did before, but displays differently. I'm not convinced that it's better personally, I think it's way too big and takes up far too much of the screen. The multicoloured lines under the information in the top left corner is horrible and we still can't adjust the opacity of the HUD itself, which is a good feature of the one in TS2020. We are also still missing a 'Current Speed Limit' alongside the 'Upcoming Speed Limit' in the top right corner.

As for actual improvements, you've missed the sky (which whilst not a huge change is definitely better than what was there before), passenger information signs on Bakerloo (but not Koln - Aachen which was weird), the distant scenery on Sand Patch Grade etc. The scenario and livery editors are not my cup of tea but clearly people do enjoy them. Beyond that nothing has really changed. The game is better than I was expecting in some ways, and exactly what I was expecting in others. There is still an awfully long way to go before this game even comes close to realising its potential - personal opinion of course, but one shared by many others.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Draw distance is definitely improved on PS4 Pro in TSW 2 over TSW 2020. You can see signals and station platforms at far greater distances than you could previously. There is still a lot of scenery popping in at the last minute though, including a freeway flyover on Peninsula Corridor, which is not subtle to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

I think that the passenger info screens are kind of a joke. It only shows up on one route, and if you run late, the screens pretty much collapse. They sky is barely noticeable, only really noticeable if you sit on the trackside, record it, and speed it up. both of these things have been seen in streams. The HUD has things like brake gauges and door indicators, but it is giant. I think that the benefits of the HUD is really up to the person. I think that they have to market this as a new era in simulation because they have to sell lots of copies to break even. This is a very niche market (even more so than flight simming), and Dovetail needs to make cash, so it needs to look different so that people will buy it. Although they have added some game changing things, the game is largely the same. Personally, I don't have TSW2 yet, and the only reason I would get it is to get the Livery Editor. As of now, it feels as if it is better to pay the same amount for TSW2020 and get more routes than TSW2. The money issue is why TSxx exists, and why they put out tons of DLC without fixing all the bugs (I'm talking to you, LIRR M3). I think that this seems like a pretty mixed experience changing between TSW2020 and TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  17. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the night lighting on the BKL line is still pretty much broken, as you’ve probably already seen.

C72C83A5-17F5-4CA3-87DE-98C80F20D523.jpeg

18. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

TSW 2 is different & better than TSW 2020.

You have to have played both to really appreciate the improvements made in TSW 2 over TSW 2020, so you can’t really criticise it for not being different until you’ve done so.

19. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

Night lighting sucks. Nothing else to say about that.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s much better than TSW 2020. At least you can see stuff now.

21. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

How is it that much better? We are talking mainly PC here.

22. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

But at night, you don't see stuff...

23. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Better lighting, increased draw distances, adhesion physics to name just a few things.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Interesting how a thread about the good stuff turns into a rant by the op

• Like Like x 3
  25. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You can. You don’t go blind at night. There is light pollution not to mention moonlight that lights things up. It’s not pitch black.

26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I hadn’t realised that. Yeah, interesting and a little strange.

• Like Like x 1
  27. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

Lighting looks mainly the same with some minor differences (compare the streams). Draw distances are slightly better, but you can still se the ties forming on the ground in front of you. Adhesion Physics are pretty cool though... At night, the trains glow. However, the Livery Editor, Scenario Planner, Adhesion Physics, and a little more transparency help make TSW2 look that much better.

28. hightower

hightower Guest

Afraid it’s your mind getting carried away with itself if you think anything has changed graphically. They made it very clear in the streams that barring anything that the newer version of UE4 brought to the party (which i’d imagine without developer changes to exploit the differences is actually very little), DTG have made no graphical changes of any description.

The lighting and draw distance are EXACTLY as they were in TSW2020. Granted, they may be better now than they were on console, but so what? These aren't the console forums and what happens on a console version is certainly not the barometer that any actual sim enthusiast measures one by.

On the PC, nothing has really changed. There are new features, but many of the core problems with the game are entirely the same as they were in TSW2020. To pretend otherwise gets us nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The lighting definitely is different, and the sky looks amazingly better.

• Like Like x 1
  30. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

As I said in a previous post...

• Like Like x 1