Adding Ts2013 To Train Simulator 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peterjd70, Sep 8, 2020.

1. peterjd70

peterjd70 New Member

Familiar with Trainz TRS2019 but new to Dovetail games (TS2020). I run trams and want to add Blackpool Tramway TS2013 to TrainSimulator TS2020. Is this possible? and how do I do it? Can someone advise me? Pete

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

You won't be able to buy it through Steam which only sells the current edition of TS but if might well be able to buy a Steam key for an older edition on another website. (No recommendations, prices and availability change too quickly, but you know how to Google don't you.) Once you do have a key click ADD A GAME at the bottom left of the Steam application and choos Activate a Product. The routes will be added to your collection as if you had bought them separately. Buying older editions is a good way of building up your collection relatively cheaply.

One thing though- I've found a description of TS2013 and I don't see any mention it coming with a Blackpool Trams route.

3. mike370

mike370 Active Member

Yes, this old freeware will work fine with TS2020. The vast majority of historic assets/content made with earlier versions of TS20xx is still fully comaptible with the modern version of the game. It's the same basic game engine that underpins every version of TS2012 onwards.

Off the top of my head I can't remember how the Blackpool Tramway was packaged, but probably as an .rwp file for install. Usually there's an included 'readme.txt' file included with instructions. If it is an .rwp file you can install it into your game using the 'Utilities.exe' app found within your main Railworks game folder. Alternatively, you can unpack (unzip) any .rwp file using 7-zip or WinRAR etc.. - and then manually copy and paste the relevant files into the appropriate game folders (i.e. 'Assets' and/or 'Content').

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Oh catching on- from the title I took it that you thought TS2013 included the trams.

5. peterjd70

peterjd70 New Member

6. peterjd70

peterjd70 New Member

Hi there. Thanks for that. I have now managed to install TS2013 Blackpool Tramway but it is not working, although it shows in 'Drive' and'Build'. Also have trams to install but not sure where to find "Trains/Trainset" folders.
    So basically made some progress but not enough to run anything!

7. peterjd70

peterjd70 New Member

I have now managed to install TS2013 Blackpool Tramway into TS2020 and it shows in 'Drive (Standard & Freeroam)' and 'Build (Route & Scenario)'. But I cannot run it. Also have trams to install apparently in 'Trains/Trainset' folders but can't find them. Where are they located? Hope you can advise me further?

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have a look at the files you installed for the Blackpool Tramway.
    Assuming it is in a rwp format use 7Zip or other to extract the contents to an empty folder
    When I use 7Zip on a file I click on the file name and use Extract to (Filename)
    In the file will be Assets and Contents Folders -
    The content is just the route map and the Assets are what appears on the map
    Go in to the Assets Folder and the name of the next folder is what you need to select it the Object Set Filter
    For example I have this
    https://members.uktrainsim.com//filelib-info.php?form_fileid=22759
    In the folder is this BlackpoolTrams.rwp
    Inside the Assets folder is one called MichaelWhiteley and that is the one I need to select to find the trams

Peter

9. peterjd70

peterjd70 New Member

Hi there
    Thanks for that. I have found the trams OK and I also have the Scenarios but what I am missing is the Tram Track. According to the ReadMe file in all of the tram files, I need RYO TRAM TRACK. I have searched TrainSim.com and also tried Googling it, but there is no sign of Ryo Tram Track to download. Do you know where I can find it, or could you send me a copy (if you have it). Hope you can help me again. Many thanks in anticipation! Pete

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

11. peterjd70

peterjd70 New Member

Hi Peter
    I had downloaded the Blackpool Scenarios and Trams from 'TrainSim.com', but after trying to use your link I discovered that the track was on 'UKTrainSim'. Your link shows me the Ryos Track but I can see no way of downloading it. When I signed up for UKTrainSim they Emailed me a password, but it does not work which seems to be why I can't download anything. Sorry about this but not sure where to go from here.
    Pete

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

On the Left side of the front page there is a Contact Us link
    Drop them an email at support@uktrainsim.com
    about your password problem

Peter

13. peterjd70

peterjd70 New Member

Hi Again
    Sorry to be such a pain!
    UKTrainSim didn't like the Firefox Browser but works with Microsoft Edge OK (although MS Edge reports it as an 'unsafe' site). However have now sorted PW problem, joined, and downloaded the Ryos Standard Gauge Tram Track. I installed it but it does not show in my scenarios.
    I have now discovered the path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Trains\Trainset and ...Trains\Consist. What other folders/files should be in this hierachy because clearly a lot of my files are not being seen properly? (I know about the 'Assets' and 'Content\Routes' folders).
    Sorry to keep pestering you but this Simulator is completely new to me and I am finding it very difficult to set it up correctly.
    Pete

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you have the game installed to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Trains\Trainset and ...Trains\Consist?
    The correct path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks.

Think of the game like a model railway that has a track map
    The basic map without any textures is found in railworks\Content\Routes -
    the route has a number like 3fbd22a2-110a-4bf7-b868-36fec18f926e (not the actual number)
    where you find the information about the route and scenarios
    the bits you see on the route, track, scenery, buildings, trains are in railworks\Assets

Peter

15. peterjd70

peterjd70 New Member

(..\Railworks\Assets & ..Railworks\Content\Routes) Was the path I had for all assets except that the trams were duplicated in ..Train Simulator\Trains etc. but I have now removed them. Still nothing that I have added to my TS2020 works so will just have to try and find out why (Trainz TRS19 is much easier and have built several entire tram systems - Blackpool, Leeds, Nottingham, SF)! Not to worry - Thanks for your help.
    Pete

16. mike370

mike370 Active Member

I believe that's the install path for the origninal 'Microsoft Transimulator Game' (MSTS). The predecessor game for Railworks/Train Simulator. MSTS is an entirely different game with content incompatible with TS20xx (aka 'Railworks').

The sole default install location for 'Railworks' is what Peter has given you:

ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks (or similar wherever you've chosen to install it).

And it's the Assets and Content folders where all your game content is found - and where new stuff needs to be installed.

Have you possibly tried download and install and old MSTS content onto your machine? There's lots of MSTS content (routes, locos, and general assets) on the UKTS site - just in case you've accidentally downloaded some of this stuff, hoping to use it in your TS2021 install.