Preserved Routes And Stock Features & Requests Wishlist

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Sep 8, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This is a thread for all wishlist features for preserved routes and stock so we can have all the same whistles and bells that we see in the newer TSW 2 routes. This will be for the preserved content team to work on. I will list the features and requests below.

Requests:

- Working Passenger Information Screens at stations
    - Blue distant haze added as featured in per new TSW 2 routes
    - (awful) Distant fog removed in favour of the above
    - LZB where applicable on German stock

Improvements:

- Addition layers for service mode
    - Performance, visual and anti-aliasing improvements
    - Working and/or improved destination screens on trains with improved and/or added functionality
    - Better and increased draw distance
    - Improved lighting
    - Improved and better sounds for both stock and route ambience

Bug fixes:
    - Various issues and bugs with stock and routes to be resolved
    - Pathing, signalling and safety system fixes

If you guys have any more suggestions or comments, feel free to comment below.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 15
  2. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

PROPER Selective Door Operation on the 377 for short platforms such as, Lewes, Mouslecoomb, and Glynde. Even if it wasn't done via the TMS system and instead by the game and just pressing SDO release, it would be nice

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

My recommendation: pick 1 thing. The list you have there is major list. There's nothing small or easy about that list for even one route. So, if you had to choose just one thing, what would it be.

I applaud the initiative, however it's fantasy-world stuff to think it could all be accomplished within any timeframe that would be acceptable.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Ensuring all trophies pop at the exact time they are supposed too.

Improved, balanced sounds.

Jobs fixed on RSN so the correct number of each exist.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

Selective Door Operation,

• Like Like x 2
  6. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Sound improvements
    Thanks.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 4
  7. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

To be honest: If I would be about to decide what point would the first one to work on, it would be the performance and anti aliasing thing. Especially anti aliasing is somehow a thing having enormous flickering on some trains is becoming really annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  8. irFlouz

irFlouz Active Member

I'd say LZB where applicable on German stock would be the most important one to me.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Me too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DTG Protagonist

So... with two votes, LZB wins!

That was easy.

(This is an illustrative example, not a genuine answer, but hopefully I've made a point, albeit thin.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

SDO would be easy I think? Am I right

12. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

But why this negative and demoralising comment? He just made a wish list and that list is aimed at improving things not the opposite. So why would you undermine the community's willingness to contribute. DTG instead should ask the community what would you like to be improved or added and you should be happy for the feedback because it is the sign that somebody cares for your products. You should compile a listing of already extensive list of suggestions and wishes and arrange it and place it so that it could be visible at all times and by all community members. In that way you would possibly avoid repetition of suggestions but would also be always mindful of all the existing proposals.

• Like Like x 4
  13. doublefine7

To be honest: I like the idea of having a permanent wishlist pinned on top of this forum (or in general) so people can have a look on what is on the wishlist already, what is already done and brought into the game and what will definitely not come into the game. That could be a good base for discussions and feedback between DTG and the community, although it would need a considerable amount of moderation. Yes, we all know that developing things take a lot of time and not all of our "wishes" become reality. So why not allowing to have a permanent wishlist, ideally commented by the devs of what is possible in the future (we dont need a time window here, just the statement if thing xyz is possible or not). I remember it from the SCS forums and it can be a big place for creativity and would improve the connection between DTG and the community.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Great idea, in addition to the reported bugs list that is much needed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. doublefine7

I would suggest having the wishlist separated from the "Current Bugs"-list, both being permanently pinned on the top of the forum for having a better and more clear overview.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. londonmidland

No one is saying that ALL things listed from the list can and need to be done. It was simply a list for the appropriate team at DTG to pick from based on priory and popularity based on feedback from the community.

Also, there is nothing ‘fantasy’ about this list. You’re assuming us, as players, know what the timeframe is for the team to work on preserved content, therefore I should only list one item? Sorry, but that simply isn’t a good response. Especially as there are several features and improvements the community wants.

You’re responses are usually great, however from time to time, they can be quite sarcastic and insulting, and presuming the community knows what DTG is and isn’t capable of (which we aren’t).

• Like Like x 1
  17. londonmidland

Thanks. I’ll make the list a bit clearer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. doublefine7

Sam is doing a great job, so I think it is ok that from time to time the one or other post is slightly off the way. Being a community Manager, especially for train sim forums, is a hard job and people get picky on every word, so dont be too harsh.

Although a bit more openess would be kindly appreciated.

19. DTG Protagonist

"Several" doesn't come close. There are hundreds, and therein lies the issue.

A wishlist of this kind is nothing but disappointment fuel, because even scratching the surface of any wishlist is going to take more development than we can muster. The intention wasn't to be sarcastic about the subject at all rather to, as I've always aimed, try and offer some reality to the situation.

I could distill the list you've already created to the following: better graphics, better sound, better gameplay, and even if we were to address 2 out of the 3 it would fall short of the wishlist, and therefore be disappointing - because there's a measuring stick to point at. The purpose of suggesting that people pick an item is to give clarity of what matters most. Which will make the biggest difference to you? Improved sound? Improved draw distance? Improved lighting? Fix the radial blur on wheels? Improve passengers? Add PIS to stations? They're all valuable to add to the game, but if you got only one which would it be? And, if that one were addressed you would, evidently, not be satisfied, as here's a list of another 50 things to fix up.

Just trying to stay grounded in what is, rather than what might be.

If I came across as flippant, my apologies, that was not the intention.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. DTG Protagonist

Because, good intentions aside, this is a minefield. Encouraging discussion about upgrades or improvements that may have no likelihood of ever happening is only going to lead to further discontent no matter what effort is applied elsewhere. Also - we know! There are hundreds of posts from the last two weeks highlighting problems, detailing what's missing, what could be improved. We're working to triage this feedback into areas of importance and group them into achievable wins. When that's done they appear on the roadmap.

In the same way we try to avoid exaggerating your view on what is and is not being worked on, it can be as destructive to give a super-list of "what if" ideas freedom to set expectations beyond the possible.

Continue the wishlist by all means, but there is zero guarantee any of it can or will be acted upon.

Yes, that's taken all the hope out of the room which is no fun to do. Again, just trying to stay grounded.

(Apologies for multi-post)

• Like Like x 8
  21. doublefine7

I can totally see why DTG wants to stay on the ground, especially after the Editor and Multiplayer disaster. But...every suggestion is closely followed by expectation. So if you dont want to deal with the expectation of the community, then dont give us the chance to suggest anything (even routes). Dont get me wrong here, I am not intending to say that you want to avoid expectations, you want to keep expectations on a realistic level which is understandable. But as we as community have to accept that only the devs decide about the priorities and what gets into the game, you also have to accept that the community has wishes, desires and expectations. Yes, a lot of these things cant be done at all or need a long time and we need clear and straight communication on that. But I dont see why a wishlist or a suggestion list would do any greater harm? If you are willing to interact with your community, we need to have a clear and straight base for that and a wishlist is a big help for that. Remember: It is more disappoint to get silence about something you wish than getting a straight "No" on your wish. Its still disappointing but at least we tried.

And yeah, I get that the community has to learn a lot about the words "Patience" and "Realistic Expectations". I for myself still have a long way on that. We all know that 90% of the wishlist cant be realized or wont come for a long time. But a wishlist would canalize a lot of the traffic and would give us a base for discussion.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think we often forget how easy it is to make a suggestion, but how difficult and time consuming that suggestion might turn out to be. Being grounded in reality isn’t fun, but it is reality.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the features/improvements that add or fix the gameplay should have priority. Meaning that everything is nice to have, improvements to lighting, sky, etc. but these should be first and asap (from the most important for me):
    - Working and/or improved destination screens on trains with improved and/or added functionality
    - LZB where applicable on German stock
    - Working Passenger Information Screens at stations

Of course, bugfixes are a different thing and should come anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Following on from DTG Protagonist's post above this would be my top wish because I believe it would make for a big increase in ambience. Obviously there's lots of other things I would like but if I can only have one, apart from the normal bugfixes which should be addressed anyway, then this is it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

If I had to pick one thing, it would be to add Tsw2 trains into timetables of existing preserved collection routes. This applies to mostly German routes but I really like the feeling these routes give you when there is alot of traffic, especially with different locos and trains.

• Like Like x 3
  26. kirbyfisher69

kirbyfisher69 Member

What I would like to see fixed is Distributed Power. Make it work as it should. It appears to almost be there but there are some big issues, especially around the AC4400.

27. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

My wish would be the ability to replace/substitute a loco and/or consist in an existing timetable.
    Scenario creation is hard work.
    And most of it is already done in the existing timetables.

28. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

Without derailing this thread too much it’s an interesting discussion that perhaps needs to take place as to why we need a wish list for preserved content. I can’t talk for everybody on this forum but I’ve never felt that TS Classic routes were ever expected to get continuous updates and improvements after the release date, whereas there were clear yet gradual improvements with each DLC that released for that game. There are however some fundamental differences here, one being that generally speaking TS Classic didn’t release with scenarios that you couldn’t finish or that were simply broken, or with some really silly minor mistakes that add up to provide an unfavourable picture. Let me give some examples for clarity.
    The ECW route that I think was a major step forward for TSW had scenarios that you couldn’t finish from release day, one in particular where you had to couple to a set waiting in Brighton station before taking the coupled unit to the depot. Matt did this on the release day stream (from memory) and couldn’t get it to work, we were told it would be looked into and hopefully a fix could be found. We are still waiting for said fix, I haven’t tested it in TSW2 just yet but I’m fairly confident that that bug will still be there.
    I’ve just been playing on the LIRR now it’s come out for TSW2, always loved this in TSW1, but the clumsy mistake of having the horn louder when the window is closed and quieter when the window is open is something of an oversight - on both the M7 and M3 (because the sound is recycled and nobody bothered to check). These are just two instances of what you might call ‘small issues’. Arguably in the case of LIRR it’s a ‘simple’ switch of files (yes I know it’s not really that simple), in the case of ECW you probably have to change that particular timetable so that both the set you couple to and your own train end up in a different platform (as I believe the issue was to do with the curve of the track). These are issues that arguably shouldn’t have existed on release day, never got fixed, DTG kept adding more slightly broken content and thus resulting in an overwhelming amount of stuff you could spend time fixing. What is my overall point in relation to the wish list?
    Unlike in TS Classic, we need fixes to preserved collection content because as of now some scenarios are still broken. As we know there will be some updates to fix things like the infamous cement circle people wonder what else this magical preserved collection team might site upon us. Obviously expectations need to be managed and I don’t know that that has ever been done particularly well by DTG until the last month or so (where almost every answer is been no - but I prefer that to maybe and a disappointment). It’s no bad thing to always be ‘hungry for more’ (other than never being happy or satisfied) but obviously DTG have to draw the line somewhere and manage expectations. Personally I’d just be happy if we could continue to get quality of life updates for what we have, with future dlc being improvements on previous dlc (I don’t mean the same route done better, I mean an overall improvement in quality compared to an older DLC). If one route in TS Classic had a feature that was exceptionally cool we wouldn’t expect it to then exist in every other route ever made for TS Classic.

• Like Like x 1
  29. doublefine7

I guess it was either Protagonist or Matt DID already say in one of the streams that a Preserved dev team is working on preserved content to fix things and stuff. A good example for that is bringing adhesion to ECW as you can read in the patch notes of the last update.

• Like Like x 1
  30. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

Can I simply drop in a request for the accelerometer to go back to a line indicator as in TSW2020?

I can’t for the life of me read the new strange spherical display, making it extremely difficult to judge whether I should be leaving well alone, applying more or less power, or braking to maintain line speed.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  31. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Which kind of invalidates the point of having a suggestion section on the forum?

My main wish item would be passenger information screens on the stations

32. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

The reason in which I understand Sam here is this long long list of suggestions and wishes offers DTG a lose lose situation.
    First they see a huge list of things that people want to see and are overwhelmed, maybe even depressed because how are they ever going to address all of that.
    If they decided to ignore suggestions and not respond to it, people get angry, feel left behind and it falls back badly on DTG.
    But then again, if they address the wishes, pick one thing and add it to the game, the result will most likely be "great, now give the other thing as well!“ and people are quckly dissatisfied again, and the devs have to face the long list again.

33. doublefine7

I personally look at the wishlist as a checklist, not like a "We-need-to-have-that-urgently"-type of list. We have to remember that the devs are the ones setting the priorities for features, routes etc. Although I see mclitkes arguments are more then valid, I can feel that having a community brings some consequences and in the end, we have to remind ourselves that DTG just started to talk to us, the community. So I recommend to being humble and patient and looking at the wishlist more like a checklist. Disappointment will always be a part of the way and both sides, devs and community have to deal with it in any kind.

• Like Like x 1