Japanese Commuter - Chuo Rapid Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by justin10, Sep 8, 2020.

1. justin10

justin10 Member

Hello everyone! Today, I would like to recommend the Japanese Chuo Rapid line and the E233 EMU for Train Sim World. I think this route would be a great change of atmosphere, located in the heart of Tokyo. I rode this route every day when I studied abroad in Tokyo last year. Nothing would make me happier than being able to drive and ride this route in Train Sim World!

The Route
    Takao <- Tokyo [​IMG]
    The JR East Chuo Rapid Service Line covers the 50 km (30 mi) stretch between Tokyo and Takao station. There are 24 stations in total. The entire route is electrified, double tracked, and the track gauge is 1067 mm.

The Train – E233-0 Series
    [​IMG]

The E233 EMU, introduced in 2006, operates almost all services along the Chuo Rapid Line. It comes in a 10 car and 6+4 care configuration. Its top speed is 125 km/hr (75 mph) and features a LED destination board, to show its various services along the route. The picture above has a blue LED screen, symbolizing “Special Rapid Service”.

Cab
    [​IMG]

Notable Stations

Tokyo Station (JC – 01)

The first station of the Chuo Line, where you can transfer to the Shinkansen bullet train.
    [​IMG]

Shinjuku Station (JC – 05)
    The busiest train station in the world. Here, the Chuo line meets up with many other train and metro lines in the heart of Tokyo, like the Yamanote line.
    [​IMG]

Nakano Station (JC – 06)
    This is where the Tokyo Metro Tozai line meets up with the Chuo Rapid line, running parallel with it until Mitaka Station. My home station when I lived in Japan!
    [​IMG]

Tachikawa Station (JC – 19)
    Large station near the west end of the Chuo Rapid Line. Here, passengers can continue toward Takao, transfer to the Ome Line, and more.
    [​IMG]

Services
    [​IMG]

Tokyo (JC 01) -> Takao (JC 24)
    The Chuo Rapid Line features various services running between Tokyo (JC 01) and Takao (JC 24) stations.

Rapid Service (Orange)
    The most common service is the Chuo Rapid services which stops at most stations. Between Ochanomizu (JC 03) and Nakano (JC 06), all Rapid services only stop at Yotsuya (JC 04) and Shinjuku (JC 05). The stations skipped are only served by the local line (Chuo-Sobu Line). Also, on the weekends, this service does not stop at Koenji (JC 07), Asagaya (JC 08), or Nishi-Ogikubo (JC 10).

Special Rapid Service (Blue)
    This service is also quite common and can be seen in blue above. This train skips many stops between Nakano (JC 06) and Tachikawa (JC 19). The Special Rapid services runs in both directions. These trains will pass Rapid Services Trains at Mitaka (JC 12) and Kokubunji (16), as these stations feature extra platforms. Passengers can transfer between the Special Rapid and Rapid services here.

Ome Special Rapid (Green)
    This service (seen in green above) is identical to the Special Rapid Service, except that at Tachikawa (JC 19), the train will diverge onto the Ome line.

Commuter Rapid (Purple)
    This service (seen in purple above) is like the regular rapid line on the weekends. It operates on weekday evenings, and skips the same stops as the weekend service. It only operates from Tokyo to Takao direction.

Commuter Special Rapid (Red)
    This service (seen in red above) is similar to the special rapid, except it skips even more stops. It only operates in the weekday mornings, towards Tokyo.

Extras
    I think that the following trains and services would be great DLC options for the Chuo Rapid route!

E353 – “Super Azusa”
    [​IMG]

The E353 EMU runs on a limited express route on the Chuo Rapid Line. The Azusa service usually runs between Shinjuku station and Matsumoto. Although that is a much wider scope than the Chuo Rapid Line, this services does make a couple stops on the line. I would love to see this come to Train Sim World!

E231 – “Chuo-Sobu Local Line”
    [​IMG]

This train runs parallel with the Chuo Rapid line from Mitaka Station (JC-12) to Ochanomizu (JC-03), where it then heads to Akihabara and beyond on the Sobu Line. This would be a great addition to the route because it adds a lot more station stops between Ochanomizu (JC-03) and Nakano (JC-06). And who wouldn’t want another train to drive?

Thank you for reading this far! What do you think? :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 30
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Probably wont happen until Union Workshop makes the jump to TSW, as they are the only group that seems to touch Japanese content on TS 2020.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

Agreed, and I'd absolutely LOVE this as Japan and the Netherlands are my favorite countries I'd like to see appear in TSW.
    But you're right, and if UnionWorkshop doesn't, I highly doubt it will happen cause I've heard on occasion that it's particularly difficult to obtain any licences for Japanese trains and routes from JR, and even if you can get some licences, for example, to make the remake Wakayama - Sakurai line from TS2020 to TSW, I doubt you could get any of the more well known routes, like what is suggested here.

And to my dismay, I think we can forget entirely about any Shinkansen lines at all, even though I do remember the Hokkaido Shinkansen appearing in an official poll a year or so ago.
    These lines are usually about 300 km or longer and the only option I see that's even close to reasonable length would be Nagoya - Kyoto - Osaka at around 140 km, which is still very long for TSW standards.
    Would be amazing if they did it though.
    Especially if they'd also include the Tokaido main line alongside the Shinkansen line, but I'm afraid that's only a pipedream.

4. Blacknred81

UW kept teasing an E5 at the end of last year and in March of this year, so not all hope is lost yet....
    https://m.weibo.cn/u/5051373059?fbclid=IwAR3EHaqcG2PahalaT-quRbUkF2Q-bavRu56V0jDyq_1x-wrDxMWdLV8aoJY
    Screenshot_20200908-022938_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  5. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

I disagree it would be any more difficult getting licensing than anywhere else. In particular because so many Japan has so many railway companies. Of course the most famous is the JR Group companies (JR East, JR Central, JR West, etc.), then there is the private company railways (Tokyo Metro, Sendai Subway, Okadyu, Keio, Hankyu, etc.), and lastly the individual 3rd sector railway companies that usually run 1-3 lines (Enoshima Electric Railway, Gakunan Electric Railway, Sendai Airport Transit, Wakayama Electric Railway (different from JR's Wakayama Line), Hakone Tozan Railway, etc.).
    Many of those companies have the ability to license goods, as evidenced by both the shear amount of licensed railways merchandise for sale in Japan, and the fact that many list licensing contact information on their websites. Many are also very keen to license goods and attract tourism attention due to Japan's declining population.
    The railway industry and railfan community is huge in Japan. There are hundreds of opportunities out there to feature Japan.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. cyrill.kroonstuiver

I definitely hope you're right. I'll admit that it's anecdotal that I heard that, and to me it just rang true because where I'm from, the Netherlands, there is actually a case with a train licence that's virtually unobtainable (I'll go into further detail if you'd like, but for now I'll refrain from getting sidetracked).
    I can absolutely see how it's in Japan's best interest to give out those licences seeing as how not just within Japan, but worldwide their railways are renowned.
    For now though I guess we can only hope that DTG or any affiliated studio like UW will actually take up the task of creating Japanese content.

If that's true, and I definitely hope it is, wouldn't that still just be for TS2020?
    With all respects, I still like TS2020, but now with TSW, especially now that TSW2 is out, it just feels outdated, and although I'd still get it probably if they release it, I personally would really love it more than anything though if they specifically make those routes for TSW2 though.
    It would make for countless hours of fun for me, that's for sure! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blacknred81

Even if it came to TS 2020 1st, it would be breaking the ice for a Shinkansen Route to any of Dovetails games, and open the opportunity for one to come to TSW in the future.

8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

A short while ago I kept telling Rivet that I'd love to see one of their Swiss routes in TSW. We all know what Rivet has planned for us on the roadmap.

I suggest we all do the same with Union Workshop, to let them know there's definately a demand for a Japanese route in TSW. Does anyone know if they're still around on Facebook, or did they move to other social media platforms?

• Like Like x 4
  9. cyrill.kroonstuiver

That's a great idea and I'd love to follow up on that.
    Unfortunately though, after a quick search I couldn't find any form of contact details on them like a facebook page or anything other than the link Blacknred81 provided earlier.

Perhaps we could cajole Rivet into doing Japanese routes too

Nah, joking, but let's hope Union Workshop are somehow aware on their own of the demand for TSW2 Japanese routes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Always worth a shot. Rivet has done quality addons for Train Simulator. I'm sure they'd do a great job on a Japanese route. Can't hurt poking them a little letting them know we'd love a Japanese route. :P

I do think we have better chances with Union Workshop though.

11. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I live a stone's throw away from the Chuo line. Driving it would be a good challenge: the timetables are intense with accuracy to the second. Plenty of challenge.
    Licensing would be pricey, simply because of the large railfan and children focussed marketing here. These are heavy weight brands here. But at least JR and others are well set up for negotiating.

I use TSW2 bought on a European PS4 account and run it on a Japanese account. It would pick up the interest if tsw2 was available in the Japanese store. It currently isn't, and as others have said railfans are here in large numbers. ..maybe a new market for dtg to reach into.

12. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Union Workshop have posted in the past that they were experimenting with unreal - but I suspect it'll be a year or more before they are up to making a releasable route in TSW. I think the E5 is going to be TS Classic (and implies a Tohoku Shinkansen route is in the works)

13. Maverick_ng

Maverick_ng Active Member

The shortest route for a Shinkansen would be on the Sanyo Shinkansen between Hakata and Kokura. That could make you run a bit @ 300km/h but it wouln't be that much fun as it would be quite short.
    The 16 car series 500 as Nozomi would be awesome to have.

14. EchoKilo

EchoKilo Member

Would love to have a Japanese route in TSW someday in the future. As "jamesbaby286" said, the railway hobby is huge in Japan, be it model railways, games, photography, magazines or other merchandise. I think the first thing DTG should do though, would be to add Japanese as one of the supported languages for the base game. Doing so would make the game more appealing for the Japanese gaming community and potentially attract interest of local third party developers. As long as the game does not support the local language, it won't be very appealing for Japanese railway companies to grant licenses either.

• Like Like x 3
  15. EchoKilo

EchoKilo Member

Good suggestion! I used to live in Hachioji for four years before moving to Hokkaido. Used Chuo line occasionally, but I mainly commuted on Keio line (which wouldn't be a bad choice either!).

16. fabdiva

I'd agree with getting a translation would be a good start. Given the large Rail fan market in Japan and that Swiss railways seem popular with Japanese visitors it might be a suggestion to try and get translation support in place for when Rivet's Arosa map releases.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Can those who are more familiar with this route tell me which service is this with the 383 Series in the video? I'm guessing the Rapid?
    I really love the surroundings here - they exemplify everything I like about Japanese routes and look great in the evening light:

18. fabdiva

Probably Shinano (Nagoya - Nagano)

19. Stephen Crofts

The characters on the front say “ordinary bound for Nagoya”
    Ordinary is often used to represent a local stopping train. There are several ways to write this depending on the region.

colours are also used. White writing on a black background are often used for local stopping trains. For the chuuo line at least White on orange is used for rapid. White on blue for special rapid. There are a few others in addition.

20. Commiee

Thanks for hints. I wanted to make a suggestion thread for the route in the video, but then I remembered there were two Chūō Line suggestions on the forums already, so wasn't sure if my thread would be a duplicate for this one/the other one.

21. fabdiva

I think they mean one of the passing trains using Limited Express units, specifically the one at Kanayama (27 mins in) - there was another one parked around 7:00

22. fabdiva

The bit in the video is the JR-Central end of the Chuo line at Nagoya - this thread is the commuter services at the JR-East end (Tokyo). The mid section is very quiet - just 3 trains per hour and AFAIK nothing runs the full length as the line is slow and steep compared with the coastal Tokaido lines.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Stephen Crofts

As far as I know (i live 3 minutes walk from the line) the chuuo line is divided into 2 with a joint terminus at shiojiri in Nagano. I think... one of the lines continues onto the north coast but with a different name. If one wanted to stay on the chuuo line to Nagoya you’d have to change to what is known as the chuuo hon sen.
    In the Tokyo region the chuuo line is joined for a while alongside the chuuo soubu line they split apart again after shinjuku, the chuuo terminating at Tokyo and the chuuo soubu line carrying on to chiba across the other side of the Tokyo bay.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Commiee

*really envious emoji*

• Like Like x 1
  25. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The Chuo Line is great, though I would personally prefer the 201 series over the E233s. Or at best case scenario, we could have both ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    [​IMG]

26. animatiker

animatiker Active Member

I used the Chûô Line a lot even when the 201 (one of my favourite Japanese trains, the chopper sound is just awesome) were still running there, and later I lived 1 1/2 years in Tachikawa, using it every day for work. I would love to see it in TSW and I think it would be one of the most interesting JR routes in Tokyo, since it has various service patterns and both commuter and long-distance trains running on the same track. And with just 3 trains you would have most of the trains for the route, I guess E233 for the rapid/special rapid services and E231 for the local services from Mitaka to Ochanomizu would be a good first choice, with the E353 Azusa/Super Azusa as a DLC. A few trains, especially during the rush hour, run up to Otsuki (or even Kawaguchiko), if they would extend the route up to Otsuki (running through the mountains from Takao on), the 211 would also be needed, which is running on regional trains from Tachikawa/Takao heading towards Matsumoto/Nagano.
    Tokyo - Takao would be around 53 km (33 miles), Tokyo - Otsuki would be 88 km (55 miles).

Japan has a really large railfan market, but just a few "simulator" games - Densha de Go! is way more arcade than TSW and far away from being realistic, BVE is freeware and although the driving is quite realistic, the routes are often only tracks without any assets except for signals and station platforms (a few exceptions exist though)... I guess TSW appearing on the Japanese market, together with a well-built Japanese route could be a huge chance for DTG, too.

I speak Japanese fluenty, so if any help is needed... ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  27. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Wasn’t the Chuo Line one of the routes in Densha de Go Final?

28. Dinosbacsi

I believe it was, yes. It was a good while since I last played it, but I remember the Chuo Line being in route selection screen.

Now only if it was in the route selection screen in TSW as well ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like Like x 2
  29. Commiee

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

30. fabdiva

Yep, Rush Hour would have been a great thing for Japanese commuter - though maybe they don't want to push things too far for a first go with the new passenger modelling

31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point this suggestion along with my suggestion Chubu Airport Railway will have standing room only Rush Hour trains. Which is what you would find on these commuter rail networks in Tokyo Kansai region & Nagoya Aichi Prefecture.

32. Dinosbacsi

Well the only reason I'm happy we don't have a japanese commuter route in TSW yet is that there is no way they could make it work properly as of now. With the problematic dispatcher, wonky ATC systems on many routes like LIRR and bad passenger system, a proper commuter route could be a real let down in the game.

But now that the passenger system is getting some sort of improvements with this whole Rush Hour theme, and with also other improvements on the way, like the memory optimization, and with each route they get more experience - by the time we finally get a japanese commuter route, they will hopefully have enough experience, and worked the neccessary systems out to make it work well and be enjoyable.

I mean I bet the new Rush Hour routes will be noticeably busier than previous routes, if that's their whole selling point to begin with - so from now on, I suppose we can expect better timetables as they begin to work things out. Passenger information displays are also beginning to be the standard, improvements to the dispatcher are also in planning, and so on. So if they ever get to making a japanese commuter route like this in the near future hopefully, we will have a much better chance of it being good and enjoyable. I really hope at least one japanese route happens in the next year or so.

• Like Like x 1