Comparing Route Performance - Fife Circle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aryffordd, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Is it possible to sensibly compare the performance (FPS) of routes from one another as a guide? Or are there too many factors in individual setups to make it worthwhile? I know that there are so many combinations of PCs that comparisons can be hard, but if someone can compare the performance of a given route to another route running on the same PC, it might help others in their choices.

Specifically, I’m very interested in the update to TS2021, but I’m unsure if my setup will deal with the newer routes. I know nobody knows about the WCML, but Fife Circle is out already, so people have driven it already.

I get quite poor performance from the Portsmouth Direct to Waterloo - just barely acceptable if I’m really really wanting to drive that route on the day, but enough to put me off mostly. But things like the Welsh Marches line, South Wales Coastal (the short one), London to Brighton and the ECML London to Peterborough work all perfectly well. It can be very tricky to know which routes might run well!

I guess I have two questions really…

1) Is there a resource anywhere that gives an indication of the performance of routes, so that people can get an idea of generally how well they perform relative to others?

2) Anyone know if Fife Circle runs significantly smoother than the Portsmouth Direct line, generally?

2. Odd1ne

Odd1ne Active Member

The fife circle route I do not have so cannot say for that one but the Portsmouth Waterloo is awful on my machine especially around Waterloo. Once out of London it becomes ok but still doesn't run like other routes.

I have got virtually every other UK route and they all work absolutely fine apart from the odd tile stutter. I find even the just trains Chilton railway runs really well on my machine which I have read a lot of people struggle with. It's just that one route is really bad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yep, compare by percentage... If you have someone who has three or four of the same routes as you get their FPS and do the math

With regards to your issues on PDL, this is a very high density route and runs slow on a lot of systems so I wouldn't use that as a benchmark...
    My concern is that the 390 and 450 are both resource hogs, so if they've reused or reformulated them for the WCML in TS21 without doing much else then they will cause the same issues

• Like Like x 3