Immersive Controls - No "precision Pointer"

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HappyBasher, Aug 26, 2020.

1. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

In general I like the new system where you have the door buttons on the D pad, but what I can't understand is why we've lost the ability to click on the right stick to get fine pointer control. This is still available on PC with the right mouse button. Nothing new has replaced this, if it was deemed better to have the camera on a short click then the long click could be to change the cursor mode. (I would happily sacrifice the "zoom" feature of the left stick for this)

• Like Like x 2
  2. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I believe the zoom function is your replacement for this as when zoomed in your going to be more precise.

3. HappyBasher

I see what you're saying but actually it's worse. The "precise pointer" actually means you can press a button on the left of the desk while still facing forwards. Using zoom actually means you see even less out of the windscreen and more likely to miss something.

• Like Like x 1
  4. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Clicking right stick takes you to external camera, so that's why. Holding the right stick when in external camera changes to the rear camera. So it looks like there's no button spare for it (although holding right stick click does nothing when in cab).

5. krustynuggets

I'm no fan of the zoom, but at the same time never used the precise pointer either, found just in cab view perfectly fine for when i was in there, mostly drive from the outside as like seeing the train in the game world.

6. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

I have found the pointer in Xbox too sensitive even on it's slowest setting, trying to point to a small switch or button the pointer will whizz past

7. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Classic controller + zoom-in with the left analog stick will fix all of these issues. C'mon DTG let's do it!

• Like Like x 2
  8. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing the reverser taken off left stick in favour of that. Then again, changing it too much won't make it classic anymore. A customisable controls section would address these issues. If the user forgets to put a crucial function on a button then that's their own fault.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Teza

Teza Member

Yes agree to this, also needs fine pointer control to be changed to lower sensitivity, as its not even usable, as the lowest is way to fast and the fastest is just a joke...

there is also an error with the pointer when trying to change a control as the info and control movement option for that button or lever is stuck to the top left of the screen and is no use up there

10. krustynuggets

The info text saying what changes you've made to the controls has always been on the left side in that position, in both TSW1 and going way back to Microsoft train simulator which DTG had a big part of making before they became DTG, so doubt that will ever change, plus i think thousands of people wouldn't want it to change either as that's where we all look lol, in short not a mistake at all.

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A long press of the right stick in-cab might get used to bring up the internal cameras, as that function is still much needed, and currently can only be brought up with a keyboard plugged in. I miss the cursor too but I’ve found that with the zoom I’ve been getting on okay. So far...

However, speaking of the internal camera views, in a lot of TSW2020 trains you couldn’t look around while in those extra views so you needed the cursor to do anything. I’m wondering whether the ability to look around will be added when those trains come to TSW2 in the preserved collection, otherwise we’ll be stuck trying to zoom in to inaccessible places from the drivers seat. We shall se what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s not true. The info is supposed to come up at the point where you use the cursor, like it did in TSW2020 and like it does in TSW2 with all the other controls. It coming up in the top left corner is a bug. The other text that comes up on the right hand side is a different thing, which is possibly what you’re referring to.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Teza

Teza Member

No, this is not like this on tsw only on tsw2 when you point the cursor, when in the cursor mode and click a lever, the bar for it is at the corner of the screen top left, i did not even see it there at first cos it was up there and the info over laps the time bar so you cant read it, its a bug..

14. krustynuggets

I probably got my left and right mixed up , have had that problem my entire life lol, i knew what I meant though lol.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

It works like normal with immersion controls. But not with classic controls.
    When you highlight a button or a knob in classic controls, the description pops up on the top left of the screen, whereas in TSW it'd pop up at the exact place you're select the button/knob.

16. lDanny Holand

lDanny Holand Active Member

The pointer was accessed by pressing the right joystick, that is now used to access the external camera

17. Mr_Crazey

Mr_Crazey Active Member

You could just have several "important" keys triggered to give the player a warning if they aren't mapped to a control. But considering you can do almost everything in cab, it's not like the game would be unplayable if you forgot something.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HappyBasher

So it was before. Short press - change pointer. Long press - change camera. I don't think there's a difference between short and long press now, though could be wrong!

19. Teza

Teza Member

One thing i noticed with immersion control, if you press for camera mode and when in that mode
    long presses of the same stick, it changes to different train views, immersion control only.