Huge Max. Potential Action Point Difference - Why ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Daytona, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

So on a 1hr end to end Main Spessart Bahn Class 146 passenger run with 8 stops with AFB & PZB, max AP seems to be ~12500. This is an easy drive in a 1997 electric loco with powerful acceleration and brakes. (Aschaffenburg-Gemunden All Stops)

A 1hr Northern Trans Pennine Class 40 heavy oil run with 1 stop, max AP seems to be 5000. This is a demanding drive in a first generation 1958 diesel with laggy acceleration and brakes hauling a heavy load. Even double headed it loses speed on the steeper gradients. (6E67 Manc-Healey Mills)

The points are the wrong way around AFAIC.

I can't see any explanation about what influences AP on the forum and why the above should occur. Can someone from DTG explain ? DTG Natster

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

AP is generally awarded for stopping/loading passengers/driving through waypoints as well as for staying below the speed limit. AP is a lot lower for freight services due to the fewer stops.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The skills are different for both but you do have to actually do more things on a passenger train. Whether stopping and picking up passengers is worth 1000 points is a different matter. You have to mess it up quite badly to get any less than 900 points for a passenger stop. But that is what they went with. No points deducted for accelerating or braking too heavily, making all your passengers fall over, either.

Freight trains - 250 or 500 points for completing an action eg coupling to some wagons, reaching end point etc.

Passenger trains - Up to 500 points for stopping at a station, points deducted for accuracy of stopping point
    Up to 500 points for loading passengers, points deducted for running late - making a total of up to 1000 points per station

All trains - 30 points for driving a certain distance (don’t know how far that is) below the speed limit, only 15 points if you go slightly over the speed limit, zero points if you go significantly over the speed limit at any point within that distance

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I did Powering America part 2 today on Sand Patch and it took 2hrs 15mins for just 9000 points lol

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Do we get anything for these points? I see I am at Level 30 on the Köln - Aachen route, which tells me exactly nothing. Especially since points and level don't seem to be much of a measure of skill or quality. It would be nice to know how much time I spent on the route or how many Kilometers I've travelled, but I don't recall having seen either measure.

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t know if there are any statistics within the game in TSW2. There is a driver’s logbook on the Dovetail Live website which I haven't looked at because I don’t sign in when I play. I haven’t seen any statistics within the game itself but I haven’t really looked either. In TSW2020 you could/can look at your statistics for the level and kilometres driven for each route and for each train. I’m hoping that’s included within TSW2 too but as I said I’ve not noticed it yet.

As for what you get for your points, you just get to level up and nothing else. Your overall level is an arbitrary but ever increasing number (if you keep on playing) and means nothing except you can say “I’m on Level xxx” and compare it with other people.

7. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Ummm, Driver Profile? This literally has any and all information in it. For some reason, the button has been removed from the Main Menu, and to access now, one has to first click on a route (any route). The button itself is highlighted in the bottom left corner of the screenshot.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Why do the points matter? They are worth nothing, and they mean nothing. Drive for the experience of driving and exploring the route.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Thank you TheShotte! There it is . . . 4398.99 Kilometer! I ought to have looked harder. The points don't matter, but it's nice to know how much time you spent and what you were doing, I guess.

10. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

You're welcome, glad I could help.