Please Remove Tree Shadows And Rail Planks

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by genericemail1032, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Tom C

Tom C New Member

I have been playing TSW2020 and TSW2 on an Xbox One in regular HD and I have not noticed any trees popping up all of a sudden. I may try it in 4K and see if it happens then.

I would have thought this would have been worse on an older Xbox.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Erm, the processor is not the issue. The issue is the UE4 asset streaming code, which is amplified by the poor HDD IDE/SATA bus speed is the problem, which is why you see the issues reduce when the game is installed on a external hard disk or solid state drive, on both Xbox and Playstation.

If you're finding TSW 2 running sluggishly on Xbox One X, I'd suggest your console is over heating, as mentioned by someone else, the X1X rarely goes below 30fps for me as well, so your experience sounds like it's leaning towards a hardware fault, and before you say it's the only game it does it with, listen for your fan, if it's on 24/7 then your console is struggling to keep the vapour chamber cool enough, which would indicate poor air flow due to dust, so might be with checking all the vent accesses are clear.

The Xbox One X is more than capable to run this flawlessly at 4K 30fps, however it's bottlenecked by the software, which I'd imagine DTG has a few more tweaks and optimisations to make, which they need to figure out how to do.

svsx.PNG

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Sorry, I nipped out for a long weekend in Bridlington :)
    I don't dispute that console hardware is a bit dated but, you know, it all boils down to a simple question: "If a console is struggling with performance then why add in effects that just makes that performance potentially worse?". There may be more but from my personal experience the only game that has ever appeared on consoles with a full set of visual settings adjustments is Project CARS 2 and having that ability made noticeable improvements on a game that also struggled on base consoles. Plus (and people tend to forget this) X1X/PS4 Pro are considerably more powerful than base consoles yet if you put TSW2 side by side with XB1/X1X (HD mode) then the difference in onscreen performance (lighting and draw distances etc etc) doesn't reflect that point. X1X enhancements shouldn't just be a splash of 4K paint.

At launch X1X was comparable to a desktop PC running "high" settings (locked at 60fps) and even today there is still evidence that, if done correctly, it's a more than capable enough machine in the performance department and therefore not *as dated* as people would have us believe.

(ps) I have x12 sticks of 'proper' Bridlington rock....first come, first served :)
    (ps2) Don't visit the 'I will loophole infringe any copyright in existence while you wait T-shirt printing shop'. The dude can talk for England and you will never escape......

• Like Like x 1
  4. Teza

Teza Member

Yes the oneX needs other settings in game like the pc or just some of them, a 4K option only is not good
    some extra options to take away other in game details would be good...

5. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

My Xbox is not overheating, I just think an unstable (variable) framerate around or above 30 fps is terrible, unless it's a stable 60 fps. It's bad for the eyes. But I'm still glad they haven't capped it at 30 because this way we have the opportunity to run it much better on next generation consoles. And now I'm counting the days until they're released. By the way, the Jaguar processors are awful. :)

6. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Also, look at this framerate (counter at the right side). It's just not good enough. (PS4 footage, but Xbox One X is very similar in 4K mode.)

7. Teza

Teza Member

I do not get them fps, my console is one x, game set to 4k in settings
    and its 30fps and sometimes moves to 40fps, but never drops below 30

if in a station walking about its 40 and 60 if i stand still and look at a wall or the sky
    if i change to HD in settings its 60fps, i use 7,200 RPM external hard drive and all games load faster
    and run better.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  8. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Funny enough, someone even told that TSW 2 has a better draw distance than TSW2020 :D oh, powerful autosuggestion... I find it so annoying that I always choose cloudy skies. A PC user in another thread was shocked by the poor console draw distance...

9. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you play on PS4?

10. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Yes, but draw distance is exactly the same on both consoles.

11. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

That's great. Before copy and pasting your translations, check that they actually make sense old boy.

12. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Oh, do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

13. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Interesting, don't see the massive slowdowns on this video from the Xbox One X. I will gladly redo it with the FPS counter on.

14. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Bryer Although the actions displayed by the other member crossed a line, in future please don't antagonise other users, try to calm down situations when you can, and if you are unable to do so, report and walk away until we are able to resolve things.

• Like Like x 3
  15. muham.a.423

muham.a.423 Active Member

I also agree! The track seems to be loading in just in front of the train which really decreases the realism of the game. Also my game sometimes freezes/jitters which can occasionally get annoying. I play on the original Xbox one

16. Teza

Teza Member

Yes, i think the original Xbox one and ps4 will struggle with this game,
    on the one x iv never seen any bad fps the only thing i see is smooth game play
    with the odd freeze now and then, but this is the game itself not the console as its been said by Dovetail that its all the information
    from other trains, signals, scenery and the odd tree not loading in right, and that's the freeze.