Hud Grade Indicator In Tsw2 Doesn't Change When Reversing

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by coleb13, Sep 3, 2020.

1. coleb13

coleb13 New Member

Hey, the grade indicator in the HUD seems to assume you are going forward. It doesn't switch when you reverse. That threw me, because it used to in TSW. So an uphill indication when reversing means you are going downhill. Seems more confusing to me.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Don't even get me started on the grade indicator. Not only is it backwards when you're in reverse, it also goes awry sometimes even when you're going forwards and shows the opposite of what it's supposed to. The Accelerometer too (the line with circle in the middle to show you G-Forces), not only is the circle off-center by default, I found that it rarely works as it should. IMHO - besides looking a bit nicer and showing the time, the new HUD is a step backwards in terms of functionality.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this and thought I must be crazy, there's so many things about the new hud and other changes I just don't like at all, I've been enjoying 2020 since 2 came out, played it for a while, and to many things frustrated me, from not being able to use cameras in tunnels period at any point of your train, the HUD location like the clock being moved and grade being hard to understand, and constantly being forced to change controls. Not to mention I had a 3 hour scenario bug out with a red light and not being able to contact the signalman. I had enough and have happily been playing 2020 instead

4. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

From this point of route, if I aim to Garrett I will always have the 0.3% of upgrade. My direction on HUD icon will be always from left (my back) to right (my front). So, on my back I have 0.3% of downgrade and on my front 0.3% of upgrade. (<-down-rear / front-up->).
    Note: the Reverser position/direction doesn't matter. In both screens its on Idle/Neutral. But I know that if I'll aim forward I'll got 0.3% of upgrade and vice versa.

(loco 1 aim to Garrett [_2_][_1_] -> Garrett)
    Train Sim World 2® 2020-09-04 13-05-25.png

Now, a second locomotive its coupled just behind the locomotive1 (ac4400cw above) and if from the same point on map I aim to Rockwood (in the opposite direction of Garrett, screen below) on my front (always the right side on the HUD/train icon) I will have the 0.3% of downgrade. (<-up-rear \ front-down ->). Also in this case the Reverser position/direction doesn't matter (on Forward 0.3% downgrade, on Reverse 0.3% upgrade).

(loco 2 aim to Rockwood [_1_][_2_] -> Rockwood)
    Train Sim World 2® 2020-09-04 13-09-00.png

Maybe Im wrong?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  5. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I just assumed the grade indicator indicated the grade without respect to the direction of travel. Hence never had a problem with it since it was representing absolute and not relative grade.

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

All they would need to do is when in reverse, switch the direction the train is pointing from right to left on the gradient icon.

I still think they should replace the red lozenge for speed to a red line cutting across the speedometer like in TSW 2020 and the ball on the accelerometer should be changed to a line or an X.

• Like Like x 3
  7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

If wishes were fishes ...

8. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya I don't like the ball for the speedometer, was nice being able to line them up, no pun intended. Also ya thought it didn't make any sense that the direction of your train image didn't change, when you changed directions. And it just looks silly, big weird toy train on a balance table.

9. kirbyfisher69

kirbyfisher69 Member

I hate that new accelerometer. It does not work and as TheShotte stated, it is off center anyway. I wish they would bring back the accelerometer from TSW2020, the horizontal one. Loved that.
    The new grade was tough to get used to. But now I just think of it as representing the engine I am sitting in. If I am reversing, then I am traveling in the direction away from the nose in the grade indicator. I have to say, I liked the auto changer from TSW2020 but I am used to this new one now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

The new speed bar is awful, you just can't see whether you're maintaining, accelerating or decreasing in speed. Really, there was nothing wrong with the one from TSW2020, if they really had to change it, then use the one from TSW2020 and make it vertical rather than horizontal.

It feels like it was changed for the sake of change.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LeadCatcher

I guess it is personal preference, but the new acceleration indicator, for me, is better and I find it easier read by looking at the crosshairs intersection on the sphere, would a straight line be better? Maybe for some, but I do not find this one difficult to read.

The inclinometer also makes more sense since the locomotive image make it very clear the grade with respect to the front of your train verses the relative grade based on direction of travel. It is all a matter of interpretation and as stated personal preference.

I have to update my comments on the inclinometer after many months of use. The problem arises from the engine orientation to direction of travel and the grade. The engine icon does not represent the current active cab. So if you are running long nose first on US locomotives or in the second cab on double cabbed models, the inclinometer representation is backwards to your reality. I have founded on any scenario or timetable run, I need to first go to the outside view to the the consist orientation so I know how to interpret the hud inclinometer. This is really a poor interface design. It requires you to recall the orientation so you do not misinterpret the information being displayed, not a good situation .

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

Inclinometer is also good for me.

Regarding acceleration idicator I agree that the version from TSW2020 was easier to read.

13. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Accelerometer looks more realistic. The old one looks like if we drive a sport supercar insted of a train. And in general the new hud (also if I asking for an option to set off/disabled the speedometer-hud: large, small, disabled) looks more detailed and less "arcade oriented". All looks a significative jump forward in TSW2 (physics, graphics, adhesion, lighting, routes colour-palette).

Obviously imo.

14. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

Maybe they should have made it a toggleable option. Choose either circle or line, depending on your personal preference.

15. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Personally I think it's rubbish and practically useless since it is not even calibrated properly.

• Like Like x 1
  16. conrail

conrail New Member

I basically just got here, having only played TSW2020 for a few days before 2 dropped, and I agree with you 100%. With that level of playtime, both of these changes felt like a quality-of-life patch had been applied.

17. LeadCatcher

Again - personal opinion - I find it easier it use myself and as accurate as the former - but it would be nice to have a choice for those who don't like it

18. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

In a perfect world, we would be able to choose between the TSW1 and TSW2 interfaces...somehow, I don't think that will ever happen.
    I'm also against the new accelerometer, I posted my thoughts on it even before TSW2's release...I do hope they do something with it, or give the option to display it differently.

19. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Then I must be doing something wrong, because the accelerometer is off-centre even when stopped or holding speed. Hell, I can be slightly accelerating and the accelerometer reads that I am slightly decelerating.
    Stopped:
    upload_2020-9-10_20-11-30.png

Slightly accelerating:
    upload_2020-9-10_20-12-27.png

Slightly faster acceleration:
    upload_2020-9-10_20-12-52.png

I should not have to accelerate at 0.6m/s^2 to get the accelerometer to read neutral. Perhaps if it were calibrated it would not be so bad, but as it stands, I can not fathom how the success of this indicator is a matter of preference. It clearly does not even work properly.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Even if it was calibrated correctly...its just a terribly designed accelerometer. They clearly went for style over usefulness

• Like Like x 2
  21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Except when the game thinks your train is in reverse while you're actually just driving forward...

See at 21:15

22. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Indeed, it's off-center. I don't know why. Sounds to me it's actually harder to make a accelerometer that's off-center, than one that's actually calibrated correctly. Hope they will fix it though.

23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Have you noticed with the accelerometer that you are trying to line up a dimensionless line (a border between two colours) on the ball with a line that has thickness and the two overlap in a weird way making the thick line look staggered due to an optical illusion. Even with the impossibility of reading that properly, they haven’t even lined it up correctly with the dimensionless line halfway through the thicker line when stopped. It’s potty.

24. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback on this, I've made a note for us to look into it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. IrishSpud

IrishSpud Member

Any update on this? Driving the return route remembering the down is up and up is down :D