Hud - A Cosmetic Change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by breblimator, Sep 10, 2020.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

1. The new HUD is better, Ok.
    2. Love to drive without it (immersion; game looks better).
    3. It's hard to drive without it (the discrepancy between the restrictions on the signs and what the HUD shows - which is associated with the final scoring).

Compromise:

There is a setting: Next Speed Limit HUD
    It looks minimalist and neat on the screen :)
    It would be wonderful to see this type of information on the screen, but with the added current speed limit.

I opt for adding the option: Current Speed Limit HUD

... for semi-pros :D to turn Speedometer / Compass off

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Most suggestions like this are heading towards what would be the ideal solution. A completely modular HUD where the player can decide exactly what aspects they want on the screen and how they are displayed.

I like your idea of having the current speed limit displayed in the same way as the next speed limit (and I would add the option to show your current speed in the same manner and possibly the gradient too) and that would eliminate the need for the main HUD in the bottom right for many players.

Although I drive with all the HUD elements enabled (except in-world markers) I very rarely need to see the brake pressure dials, and I don’t really need a graphical depiction of a speedometer, just the speed in numbers is sufficient. Modular is the way to go for the future I think.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Teza

Teza Member

I would like the option to move the hud elements to other parts of the screen, and make them smaller
    as i play on a big screen, so i don't need the speed hud this big and also an option to use the old speed hud, like use classic hud

• Like Like x 1
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Indeed. Modular. More flexible. And certainly the option to make the HUGE speedometer (even in small setting) a lot smaller. :P

I guess I don't really need the brake pressure dials, but they're pretty small. (which is good, IMO).

• Like Like x 3
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I never noticed such discrepancies... on Köln-Aachen I remember every speed limit change is exactly tied to the rail side post (except for a 140 speed increase near Stolberg station, where I never saw any 14 sign, going towards Aachen) same for ECW, RT and RSN (all the route I do Hudless). In fact I almost never overspeed when playing Hudless, you just have to know how long you need to hold the speed to allow the whole train to pass the speed limit change signal before starting to accelerate.

In the Bakerloo the speed limit in the HUD is useless anyway since in the tunnel the speed limits apply after the first axle passed the sign, so if you drive realistically you will overspeed anyway.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Leaving Köln HBf - HUD 70, Speedometer 60, track (?)... then 80 what is Ok. But this is not about that :) Maybe that case is about tracks changing, but the info for a player in unclear.

1. I talk about a cosmetic change, mostly.
    2. I play since the very ancient beginning - it is not hard to me because of trains behavior, but game's behavior :)
    This is of course a challenge for me, especially to stay punctual and this assessment (score) does matter a bit.

There are tons of routes, examples, where you can't drive properly without HUD in terms of pts.
    In terms of immersion - Your 100% right. HUD does not matter :)
    In fact, it's mostly about the aesthetic sense for me, haha

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2020
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Köln starts out as 60, then as you pass the 7 it becomes 70, as you pass the 8 becomes 80.

Also, I didn't want to sound disrespectful, just I haven't yet noticed any of those discrepancies on the routes I play Hudless, that's all, about the changes to the HUD, I think they would be nice but there is a ton of thing more important right now, for example the whole preserved collection is just a broken awful version of TSW1 in TSW2 which has to be addressed ASAP, this is one of these thing they can do when they find themselves with a bit extra time in their hands IMO

• Like Like x 1
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

hmm :)

looks like 70 for me, but further HUD shows 60, just before 80 - like I said: maybe that case is about tracks changing :)
    trackside markings: 70 >> ain't no 60 >> 80 * checked minute ago

Nevermind. I just like to have that good-or-not info top-right corner :D

koln.png

9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Sorry, 60 is the speed restriction when you ARRIVE at Köln...

40 > 70 > 80 as you have shown

Anyway I think the HUD only shows the main line speed limits doesn't it? So for example when you get diverted on the parallel track to stop at the various station in the Köln-Aachen the 70 (or 80 I can't remember now) restriction isn't shown, as it's not part of the main line or it shows it applied only as you get to the junction which is inaccurate, but at that point you follow the instructions given by the signals anyway and not by the HUD (and speed limits)

10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

40 is a restricted monitoring because of PZB :D
    Turn the game on and check by Yourself, hehe
    70 >> void >> 80 = this is not a correct info
    Don't know why there is a 60, but it's not compatible with HUD
    Like on the screenshot - departing HBf - check the right corner - a 70 is really there :)
    Then in that place is 80 but on the speedometer - 60 in between
    Now You understand what I mean? In two different places, two different info

EDIT EDIT EDIT :)

I know it is broken everybody knows but for me would be better all that info top right corner eh - this is my thread genesis :D

11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

And is also the speed limit as indicated by the red needle, it does not follow the PZB laws, and restricted monitoring is 45.

That HUD speed limit only indicates the max track speed, for example in the talent you never go above 160 even if the HUD tells you to go to 250... it's not dynamic and it's not always accurate depending on what train or what timetable you are running on, if you want to keep it realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

nevermind, oh man :D
    good or not - love it in another place

• Like Like x 1