Tsw2 Versus. Ts2020, Will You Play Both?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 931105799, Sep 11, 2020.

1. 931105799

931105799 New Member

Just to share my personal experience. Since I started with TSW2, I can't persuade myself going back to TS2020 again, although there are still much to improve on TSW2, and TS2020 is already a quite mature product. I don't have the same feeling on TSW1 but only on TSW2, mostly because the improvement done on graphics and longer travel distance of the route. It is a pity that I still have a lot unplayed content in TS2020, I just can't go back. Anyone has the same experience?

• Like Like x 1
  2. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

3. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I play both titles, but recently I logged in more time in TSW 2 than TS2020. TSW is getting better, no doubt about it. Admittedly, there are some problems still that need to be worked on, but the overall feeling is that of progress. That being said, I still think that TS2020 is a superior product at the moment. The biggest advantages in my opinion are superior modding capability, considerably longer routes and the scope of content available. Add to that some truly stunning work of third-party developers and you have an all-rounded better train simulation.
    So in conclusion I would say TSW is definitely gaining traction (whoops), but TS2020 to this day retains the title of train Simulation in my books.

• Like Like x 3
  4. 931105799

931105799 New Member

Yes, of all the improvement to be done on the checklist, I would say enabling players to create and share scenarios more easily will be a quick win, making it possible to maximize what was already developed for the game. Look forward to the debug of "workshop" for TSW-2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

TSW 2 - difficult love, but still love :)

6. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

but easy to hate :D

7. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I played one service on HRR. I bought the dlc with Tsw2 and wanted to see it in TSW2020 to see how much more traffic the route has when you have main Spessart Bahn available.
    I could not tell you what exactly it is, but the whole thing was visually unappealing and I was glad when I started up Tsw2 again.
    Still have TSW2020 installed, mainly if I want to run a route that has not yet been added, but I don't see me playing it the moment all preserved content has been brought forward.

Edit: I just realize it is about TS2020 and not TSW2020, so feel free to ignore my comment...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

No. I uninstalled Train Simulator. I had my fun with it, but TSW holds the future. :)

• Like Like x 5
  9. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

They should stop supporting TS and put all resources in TSW to make it as great as TS was (at its time).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I play both. At the moment I probably play TS2020 slightly more, mainly due to the DLC I like to play (Swiss Routes + German ICE trains), but also because of Raildriver support. This might change in the future though. I‘m really looking forward to seeing what Rivet‘s first Route is like. If it’s good then with the Arosa line and Raildriver support on the Roadmap, then I‘m pretty sure I will shift toward TSW.

11. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

It’s not just the resources put into it, but the workshop and editor which allowed us create and exchange items and scenarios.
    Tsw2 also needs an editor where we can substitute a loco in an existing timetable. Eg. Substituting two class 20’s for a 66 on Ecw.
    The console restriction on exchanging scenarios is another major problem.
    That said I no longer play Ts as the graphics just aren’t good enough in comparison. Despite over 70gb of stuff downloaded over the years.

12. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

I've said this before . . . The sheer joy of driving a Regio from Köln to Aachen on a winter's night in a blizzard with all the helper HUDs turned off and arriving on time can't be beat. Especially now in TSW2 when you are driving a train that can act like it's on ice skates. Whatever it's faults, TSW2 is great, but it will be a while . . . perhaps a long while . . . before TSW2 can replicate the immense variety of TS and routes like TS Frankfurt - Koblenz. I honestly don't see this as an 'either or' proposition. Individuals can abandon TS, but if it's making money for the company and isn't a significant resource drain I can't imagine why DTG would drop it. Trains are a niche market after all and the more train enthusiasts DTG can draw in, the more we all benefit.

• Like Like x 2
  13. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Tsw2 is qualitatively better than Ts2020. But I use both every day, while Ts2020 has something that Tsw2 does not.
    The quality of Ts2020 content is growing and it has a right to life.

• Like Like x 1
  14. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Why should they, they are different beasts? TSW is nice to just jump in and drive but is far more restricted as to what the user can do to mould it into the experience they want than TSW. Until there is a comparable scenario editor/creator in TSW then I will be spending more time with the large amount (and growing) content for TS1.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I still use both. TSW(et al) is definitely an improvement graphically and, in most cases, a step up in realism of locomotives etc. However, many scenario developers have taken great pains in TS2020 to paint a story. I know it might seem a trivial thing, but a well developed story goes a long way to add to the enjoyment.

In TSW (et al) the scenarios are pretty basic compared to the better ones in TS2020 and then the rest of the timetabled services are just point A to B type runs. In TS2020 you can find freight scenarios where you do a local run servicing industries, or scenarios where a consist has failed and you are the rescue locomotive that brings the failed consist to station then taking the failed unit to the maintenance yard.

My only concern with TSW is the lack of depth in the scenarios and, at present, the lack of a workshop where talented scenario authors can share their “stories”. Yes TSW is a superior platform, but the workshop scenarios in TS2020 still has more depth of immersion with variety and breadth of well made scenarios from the community.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  16. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

This is a really interesting thread, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback about both games!

• Like Like x 1
  17. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

I still play TS - 2020 as it has a far greater selection of routes, but I sometimes find myself trying to get out of the cab and walk down the platform :)

Just checked steam library for "manage my dlc" :

Train Simulator - 425 DLC !!! *
    TSW (2020) - 21 DLC

( * and that doesn't count the routes/stock I've bought direct from places like Just Trains etc.)

• Like Like x 3
  18. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Wow! I thought I was bad... I only have:
    Train Simulator - 88
    Train Sim World - 27
    Train Sim World 2 - 12

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

That's precisely the problem. Why not dedicate all resources to, for example, implement an in-game workshop (like Farming Simulator) to allow all users from PC and console to share scenarios, liveries, etc. ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. theorganist

Well I suppose it depends on how many people are still using TS1 and purchasing DLC for it. The fact there is a 2021 version including a new UK route (which have been thin on the ground from DTG in recent years) suggests there is some value for them in carrying on developing for it.

I don't think many will move over completely until there is a lot more content for TSW, for me that includes steam period routes and more BR traction and variety of modern routes, for others they will have different priorities.

However, they have basically ruled at an editor for TSW so unless that changes then a lot of the more creative people in the community will stick with TS1. So unless having all trainsim developing hands at the TSW pump will allow an editor to happen then I don't see value of them developing just the one simulator.

As for the workshop I agree it wold be good if that could be implemented but it still isn't enough reason for many to jump away from TS1. They are very different, they may both be train simulators but you can do so much more with TS1.

21. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

yes need tsw2020 to play NEC

22. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

TSW\2 now my love, but old TS still in my heart (1863 hours))

23. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

No. I can't play anything anymore where I can't get out of my loco. For me, that's still huge. Also, I never liked the TS bottom UI that shows the route in front of the train. Takes up way too much space. I really like the "new" feature of the small next speed limit and next signal. Only wish there also was a current speed, then I could disable the speedometer, because I keep forgetting it.

24. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

25. maxthum

maxthum Active Member

A bit of both. One hand saws shiny new graphics and UE4 with a completely new experience as you are the driver, not the train like in TS20xx. The other, longer routes and an enjoyable experience at the expense of frame-rate and some enjoyable routes like Pacific Surfliner.

26. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

TBH, after playing with TSW1 and now TSW2 I just can't go back to TS. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with TS but TSW2 is what I will be using 100% of the time now.

• Like Like x 2
  27. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The biggest problem for Dtg is the legal one of licences, which prevents them from hosting a workshop like Ts.
    We can only hope that alternative sites such as the Train-Sim Community can step up to host new liveries and scenarios.
    This is what made Ts so good.
    Timetables are a welcome addition, but as I said, they need to be editable.
    Being able to street run through Portland with your bigboy, amtrak consist and then over the swing bridge.
    Definitely not possible in the real world, but great fun.

28. 931105799

931105799 New Member

I don't quite understand the legal issue. If DTG get the license and permits for TS, why not for TSW, because to the owner of the rail properties, it makes no difference to them for TS or TSW. Just curious.

29. theorganist

Of course older period routes don't need licences so that would solve the problem. Then content wouldn't need to be withdrawn as in recent cases involving ATW and Virgin!

30. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I doubt there licensing issue when it comes to scenarios sharing. The brands are already licensed and presented in a way that satisfies the license owner. The problem with Steam Workshop is that it is PC only, and dovetail is really pushing TSW as a platform equal experience. My guess would be that they would like to have a sharing functionality as part of the dovetail live, where content could be shared between all platforms.

As for the original questions, I play both. The interactivity and higher fidelity of TSW are nice. But it is still a little bit rought over the edges when it comes to bugs, and the the original TS has more varied content.

• Like Like x 1
  31. 931105799

931105799 New Member

Having reviewed development team's latest road map I think I will drop TS2020 very soon, because the contents in planing for TSW2 is so attractive, and I think the team is going to move the original content from TS2020 to TSW2 piece by piece with priority. Anyway, it will be many hours of playing now on TSW2. Cheers!