Multiple Routes (realistically) For Loco Add-ons

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Purno, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This might be a bit of a silly topic. I know there's an "off the rails" mode that would allow us to drive any train on any route, but I'd like to run things a tad more realistic. Additionally, I mainly play timetable mode.

I notice that for several loco add-ons, being limited to use them (realistically) on only one route, is holding me back from buying them. Examples are the Caltrain Switcher limited to Peninsula Corridor, the M3 limited to LIRR, and the BR204 limited to Main Spessart Bahn (assuming it cannot be used as substitute for the electrid freight locomotives on other routes).

I know it's a bit complicated, as you can't develop everything at once. But I thought this might be good to know information for DTG.

Once there would be more routes that I can run these locomotives on (without being very unrealistic), I'd be more tempted to buy them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s the beauty of the German content. With one or two exceptions all the content can be used on all the routes, with some content actually adding extra services to other routes. That’s a product of the routes all being set at roughly the same time and within the same general area. It certainly makes them better value for money. The 204 isn’t like this because it has no services on routes other than MSB and doesn’t substitute so I haven’t bought that either.

The rest of TSW lacks this interoperability and that’s mainly due to the routes being set at different time periods and/or having dedicated train types, like on LIRR. It’s certainly something the scenario planner will help with and then the loco add-ons will make better purchases but as to whether any timetable services will allow substitutions or add extra services is something I’m sure will only happen if the routes in the future are similar to each other like with the German routes, and that is still at the whim of DTG and the third party devs to implement. I hope they do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

In the end they are trying to make a realistic product. The caltrain diesel switcher can only be used on Peninsula Corridor because that is the only route you will ever see them in that livery (to my knowledge). Likewise the lirr trains only run the lirr routes. The trains might be used on other locations as well, but by other companies e.g.other liveries. Most likely there is no available route right now where the trains would fit anyway, I don't think any of these are used on sand patch for example in real life.

German locos are a bit special in that regard, as these locos are widely used among German routes and not that often limited to a single one.

Off the rails is you personal way of saying "thanks for the realism, but I prefer it my way".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Indeed. Hopefully the BR204 will have more opportunities when the BR363 has been released. Although I hope I won't need to buy both add-ons to have the flexibility.

Fortunately Germany isn't the only country with flexibility and interoperability. Most of the British Rail trains have this as well, the best example being that one service where you can run several of the heritage locos on East Coastway.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I know and I understand why it is as it is. I did want to provide feedback though. I think that it's useful for DTG and third party developers to know that this is my reason behind not buying certain loco add-ons, even though I'd like the locos themselves.

6. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

Agreed with the general point. This does seem to have got better over time, I'm looking forward to the new timetable services on Koln-Aachen and the East Coastway route had charters which was interesting (potentially the preservation team could add ESR locos on GWE as charters?)

7. Maverick_ng

Maverick_ng Active Member

Would be awesome to make a choice of consists on timetable mode. Also I would like to make consists on my own. Select locos and wagons and put them in a scheduled service spot by choice or any random spots available in the day.

8. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

I've been thinking along the same lines with this topic that only German & British content can turn up in other routes timetable services. Have never played American Content or even purchased for that matter aswell. Have only just got to grips with the German Signalling system. I think once more routes come into play with TSW2, the more variety we'll get as like yourself I like things to be realistic although I did try off the rails scenario planner for an ICE 3M to run on Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr from Duisburg - Essen hopefully in the future they will add ICE Services to Timetable services on Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr.

9. mclitke

The ICE line 41 using the ICE 3M stops in Bochum (sometimes), Essen and Duisburg. So I believe if the devs ever have time to add services from TSW2 to preserved content, the ICE on HRR makes perfect sense.

edit: actuall there are several lines: 41, 42 and 49. All run with the ICE 3M.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Well funny thing about the MP15. NYAR owns a ton of them & runs freight trains on LIRR & LIRR owns a few MP15. Just wanted to say a fact :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. mclitke

I did not know that! unfortunate that we don't have a corresponding skin for the MP15 and right now and no way of creating one ourselves, but I will keep that fact in mind if I ever do a custom scenario on the route.

12. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Here are a few pictures also NYAR owns some GP-38's but they don't have any dynamic brakes

NYAR GP-38
    9585.1360367429.jpg 117245336_206433527747059_3542663767322838947_n.jpg LIRR MP15ac 461f75c28a52e09e92353682f8e39c0c.jpg MP15 NYAR

13. johnjohn190690

[QUOTE="mclitke, post: 175867, member: 21149"

edit: actuall there are several lines: 41, 42 and 49. All run with the ICE 3M.[/QUOTE]
    Now knowing there are 3 ICE 3M lines running on Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr they need to add these into Timetable services asap

14. mclitke

Now knowing there are 3 ICE 3M lines running on Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr they need to add these into Timetable services asap[/QUOTE]

Yeah I brought that up in today's stream and Matt told us trains could and would only interswitch from TSW2 to preserved collection if they use the same lines. So something like the ICE, which needs to have an extra line set up for, is not planned right now. If this ever comes up, as we already know, it will appear on the roadmap.
    So for the time being we have to manually get it on the road in scenario maker...

• Like Like x 1
  15. johnjohn190690

Missed tonight's stream as I was working will catch it on yt once time permits. Thank you for asking cos it shows that people are interested in Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr having ICE timetable services and will add more hours to gameplay.
    Yeah I brought that up in today's stream and Matt told us trains could and would only interswitch from TSW2 to preserved collection if they use the same lines. So something like the ICE, which needs to have an extra line set up for, is not planned right now. If this ever comes up, as we already know, it will appear on the roadmap.
    So for the time being we have to manually get it on the road in scenario maker...[/QUOTE]

16. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I saw that question spammed over & over again

17. mclitke

Personally I put that question 4 times over the course of the whole 2 and a half hours so I doubt I was spamming. Except if you mean by other people as well, I did not follow the chat so much.

18. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

1 other person was asking the question spamming it I don't know why but It doesn't really matter now ( Think I saw you in the chat just asking once in a while not really spamming).. Were does the ICE run on HRR?

19. mclitke

There are 3 different lines, at least that are run by the Ice 3M, and each of them stop at Essen and Duisburg. Two lines have Bochum listed as constant stop and one line has it as an occasional extra stop, that is when the line starts in Dortmund instead of Essen.
    It is no high speed route especially since these three stops are relatively close, but that just means that it is totally plausible to encounter the ice 3 there. Adding them in scenario planner is fully realistic.
    Just wished they were added by default so that I would encounter them while running the S Bahn services there, guess I will have to make a couple scenarios by myself at one point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

Surely the line already does exist, given it's there and available in scenario planner (indeed, it's called ICE there)?