PlayStation Lirr Preserved Collection First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Sounds are poor. Barely any acceleration or wind sound as it was in TSW 2020. The M7 now sounds as quiet as the M3.

Using R1/R2 to control acceleration/braking doesn’t seem as fluid as in TSW 2020, it feels rather sluggish. You have to hold them longer to enter and exit the Coast notch.

Brakes don’t seem as responsive.

There is some flickering of scenery.

However, the lighting in the tunnels and Penn Station is much improved and the draw distance is fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I agree. Unfortunately the improved draw distance affects the framerate too much, especially between Penn Station and Jamaica. It used to be smoother on TSW2020.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve not experienced that yet, but will keep a look out for it.

4. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Haven't had a run yet in LIRR but holding the button down longer to make leaver move is rather positive.
    How long thou? Looking forward to try it out during the weekend.

5. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Maybe the difference in breaks is down to some level of adhesion modeling?

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve just done the maintenance scenario driving from Penn to Jamaica and had no stuttering. The tunnel is also fixed. No gaping hole in the ceiling.

Trophies are popping as expected too.
    So far.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

It's worse for me at Penn Station. Maybe all those pillars... I remember they popped out suddenly on TSW2020. Not so good to see, but at least fps was quite preserved. Just started a service at Penn and an incoming M3 just killed my framerate so bad. Really really bad.

8. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

The thing to really kill you'r FPS is the M3 scenario Metropolitan Mover

• Like Like x 1
  9. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Thank you for sharing your feedback, I've made a note of your first impressions and will be passing them along.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed this, but I also don't have the M3 DLC. The sound during acceleration is the same as I hear it in TSW 2020, but there's another sound - something ambient - that's much too loud.
    Maybe the quietness of the M3 has somehow influenced the volume level of the M7.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  11. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

The M7's haven't had any adhesion modeling applied to them, as far as I know. There wouldn't be any changes at all for any of the preserved collection DLCs, aside for maybe slightly different lighting and colors, but that just comes down to the engine upgrade itself.

Its all subject to change though, but its best to expect the exact same experience from TSW2020 routes as they're ported over to TSW 2

12. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

That’s what I thought going into them as well, but all of the preserved routes and locomotives seem to have some form of adhesion physics added as driving in the snow or rain on those routes is a lot different then it was in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

Can confirm sounds are completely missing on ps4, no acceleration or track sounds at all, really disappointing. Also the same on RSN.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

This is not happening on you but it also is happening to me on the PC, For some reason when i try to switch gear to power 1 it won't won't, you basically have to hold on to the power throttle in order for it to switch to power 2 ,3,4 and so on, and then when put it into coast you also have to hold on to the deceleration button in order to coast.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

One thing I did notice(I literally just started LIRR in TSW2) is when eastbound trains leave Hicksville, they no longer go up the Port Jefferson line and now correctly head down the Ronkonkoma.
    I'm glad to hear that the tunnel is fixed. Not surprised.
    The lighting onboard the M7 looks more like it should be

• Like Like x 1
  16. ixofxiii

Anyone been to Atlantic terminal during rain yet? Does it still rain in the station?

17. skyMutt

Hey, so I just wanted to expand on my post from earlier now that I've actually got my hands on the preserved collection for the LIRR

And...well, I'm sad to say that I'm actually disappointed in the experience so far.
    Like I mentioned earlier, to my knowledge there has not been any adhesion modeling applied to any of the preserved collection (with the Class 377 from ECW being the exception).
    The M7 accelerates and decelerates on a dime just like it used to, regardless of rail conditions. It's the same as I remember it being.

It seems that the East River Tunnel #3 (for trains departing East of Penn Station) works perfectly fine now, and the bug has been remedied. Though with immersion controls setup, its possible to clip through the wall.

Performance in Penn Station has become abysmal, topping around 15 FPS I believe. It seems worse looking toward the station rather than away from it. Rogue asset, maybe?

While the HVAC and Interior Lighting Selection exists on the PC versions of LIRR, they do not on the PS4, and it seems that it has remained that way, which is rather disappointing.
    It would seem that while the interior lights are on, they do look a bit dimmer with less bloom now *while up close*. Can't say the same while looking further down the car, the ceiling still looks bright further down for some reason.

I'm not sure whats going on, but I sure do hope that these issues are ironed out in future bug fixes, as the LIRR in its current preserved state underdelivers, in my opinion.

Last side note, I promise haha.
    I've noticed that there's absolutely no motor sounds, but only on the first car. All of the other cars produce motor sounds. This was after driving through East River Tunnel #3. Not sure whats going on.
    I used service 2006 from New York Penn - Ronkonkoma for these impressions

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Wait why is the HVAC only usable on PC?

19. skyMutt

As far as i can tell I havent noticed any rain clipping through on the underground sections.
    I used service 786 Atlantic Terminal - Hempstead for reference.

By the way, I've also noticed the screens take an extra second to load while coming in from external camera to internal cab camera. Much in the same way it reloads on the Talent 2 on Köln-Aachen. A byproduct of the engine upgrade maybe?

My apologies for the double post, I wanted to reply to ixofiii but wasn't able to edit the message to enter the quote

• Like Like x 1
  20. skyMutt

Yep, you can toggle them on the touchscreens on the cab, but the toggle doesn't exist on consoles for whatever reason. It has remained this way in TSW2020 and also in the preserved collection. Absolutely no clue why theres a difference

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. ixofxiii

So after a few trips, here's what I see:
    Engine sounds for the M7 during scenarios are practically non existent as mentioned above, but in journey/timetable, it's there.
    I did have some wheel slippage during a eastbound express in the rain but only during really hard braking
    Brake pipe indicators: analog and on the TOD screen do not work properly. They won't show braking until your below 6mph. Kinda hard when not using the HUD
    Personally, I like the interior lighting, especially the darkened area outside the cab. Kinda more realistic when it's not sunny out or at night.
    The throttle is harder to take out of coast.
    Still don't like the fact that the track speed still isn't displayed on the Dash (the ATC speed indicator).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...and they finally fixed the texture bug in the tunnel between Penn Station and Sunnyside Yard! ;)
    The graphical improvement in TSW 2 is really noticeable, also on the Preserved Collection routes.

• Like Like x 1
  23. George1862

George1862 Active Member

24. septafan

septafan Active Member

My issue is that despite the windows being open the horn is super quiet from the inside. Also if you don’t have ATC on circle button trips the emergency brakes. So when you go into the map and go back with circle, the emergency brakes comes on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Yep on the M3 it's very annoying im used to pressing the B button because of the safety systems on the train. Though if I put ACT on I will fail at using it

26. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The sound is on alle Platforms broken for M3 and M7

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Dam

Dam New Member

12 car trains in scenarios that you create are too long for some of the platforms, even if the platform is long enough in real life.

28. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

It’s since beginning on Long Island Rail Road that Not all 12 Cars can stop on most of the Stations but you can’t closed the doors from the Cockpit because you must run into the Coaches and put the key in the Door Panel

29. Dam

Dam New Member

Even at stations that can hold 12 car sets (Mineola, Hillside) the trains are too long.

30. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Then it’s Dovetails failure to make the Stations too short and need to be fixed

31. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

DTG Natster Can you please let the team know all these problem, especially the power and braking control not working correctly as mention on the top? Thank you

32. ross.duncan35

ross.duncan35 Active Member

hi can anyone tell me how you get services from atlantic terminal?ive only got 28 services out of 181.?and all from new york penn to hicksville.is it the the add on that is needed to aquire these extra routes?

33. skyMutt

When selecting the weather presets and the trains, you can press square to bring up the livery selection and from there you can select different lengths of trains, being a 6-car set, 8-car set, or a 10-car sets of the M7.
    6 car trains are mostly used going from Atlantic Terminal to Hempstead. Also used on the Port Jefferson branch.
    8 car trains are used from New York Penn to Hempstead, and also used on mainline runs.
    10 car trains are exclusively used on mainline runs, going from New York Penn to Ronkonkoma.

I dont know if its the same deal with the M3's since I don't have that DLC, but I'd imagine it would be the same concept. Hope this helps ^^

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. ross.duncan35

ross.duncan35 Active Member

thanks skymutt..couldnt see the switch livery for looking at it.lol

35. skyMutt

No probs! Its in that same screen where you select the weather and the train (make sure the M7 is selected first) then the Switch Livery option becomes available ^^

36. computer.wizdj3

computer.wizdj3 Member

Hey there can u fix something on LIRR everytime I do the scenario ferrying folks just before u get to Jamaica station u have to stop at Jay 58R and then silence no movement from any train on the map red signals all over the map and the scenario will never be completed cause of that
    plus everytime I contact signaller they say denied wait for signal to change but it never did and this happened from the picture I can say that signs don't have the top letters floating in the air and the 12R at the bottom of the sign almost floating at the bottom of that sign

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  37. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Slightly off topic but since we're talking about adhesion physics and what not, has anyone else ever felt that the M7 brakes were never strong to begin with? Always felt as if I was sliding to a stop.

38. skyMutt

Well the M7 is an Electric Multiple Unit, and those usually tend to accelerate and decelerate very quickly. You can enter into platforms at 45 MPH and still comfortably stop at the end with the brakes set at step 5. Out of all the other trains available, I feel the most confident driving with the M7. They're very responsive and predictable.

39. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

You're right actually. Though I like to brake for comfort and when traveling around 80mph braking within the 40%-50% range doesn't feel so effective. Most especially when trying to come to a smooth stop I don't like braking above 40% when at 20mph or below but the damn thing will slide.

Having traveled on the real thing countless numbers of time they brake so smooth hitting the platform at 45-50 mph that it's hard for me to grasp that it just might be in a full brake application. Maybe it's just me underestimating how powerful yet comfortable those brakes can be.. Wish we had real LIRR engineers on here to compare.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  40. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope they’ll add the dual mode diesel locomotive with the ronkonkoma Branch or port Jefferson Branch someday in the future.