Tsw Sounds - A Complete Lack Of Consistency

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Sep 14, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

As the title on the tin suggests, this is by far TSW’s worst offender.

TSW 2’s very own Bakerloo Line is a fine example of this. As you already know, there are many issues with the sounds on the route. Though this example isn’t about the stock, instead it is about the route and station ambience. I will explain below...

Standing at Queens Park station, during rush hour at 07:00 in the morning, can someone tell me why all I can hear is birds tweeting?! We are close to central London. The UK’s biggest and busiest city. So where is the hustle and bustle? Where are the sounds of traffic, people, sirens amongst various other things missing?

East Coastway in comparison, whilst not perfect, offers far superior ambient noise. You get the sounds to the city, crowds, dogs barking, traffic and others things too.

So DTG I ask you - how can you offer any hope to players that the next route will sound better than the previous when the example above proves otherwise?

What I think - you can’t. It’s a complete gamble whether the route(s) have good sounds or not and there is no consistency from this at all. What happened to learning from your mistakes? Trying to improve and build better?

You give very little hope in the way of players who want better sounds, and that gives me very little hope for future routes.

Just when I think you’re improving in one area, you fail in another.

• Like Like x 11
  2. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

At the present time we can offer no such guarantee. We've made no radical changes to the way sound is handled in the game, and until you hear otherwise assume it will be as it currently is.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. londonmidland

Thank you for the response. This is very disappointing to hear and further supports the reasons why we need more third party developers working with TSW.

• Like Like x 8
  4. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Third party developers do not guarantee higher quality content, the BR 204 by Rivet is a third party loco and not really high content in terms of sound and physics.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Maybe these changes weren't radical, but they weren't good either :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

The sounds for the preserved collection are in some cases worse than they were in TSW 2020. M7 for example, the horn and external sounds are quieter with the window open, and louder closed.

Other locos like the 37, don't appear to have changed

Whilst these problems no not stop the user from playing the game, they do break the immersion. Surely with a sim, immersion should be the name of the game?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  7. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I think this loco is in a pretty good state at the moment. And there is a substantial difference in how Rivet takes care of their released content compared to DTG: their response to bug fixing and susceptibility to bug reports seems much more immediate. This differentiates vast majority of third party developers from DTG. Take into account also the fact that DB BR 204 was their first foray in TSW. Take a look at the level of quality their routes have in TS2020. I'm sure our high expectations of them are not unfounded.

8. JP_4468

JP_4468 Member

If you can come down from your self entitled pedestal for a moment, back down to the real world with the rest of us commoners.

There might have been something happening around the world that you may have become a little too complacent about, oh yes it's that little bug Covid-19 again. Even with lockdown lifted somewhat, getting access into a very busy place like the underground and being able to set up and make recordings is somewhat very limited. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they was told a big far NO, given how busy and packed in like sardines those trains and platforms can get even before Covid. Safety is somewhat of a bigger priority than you getting your precious sounds.

That said, it's not DTG's fault if you, yes you yourself set your own expectations too high, Nothing anyone does would be good enough if they simply just fail to meet those expectations. Am I excited about WCML South, yes I am. Am I going to expect to be given the world with the DLC, No I am not and nor should anyone else. Do I expect to see the WMT Class 323 and 350 that also run on that route (323 more so between Birmingham New St and International stations). Would I be mad and angry if they don't get included, No. Could those other trains come as a separate DLC as an add onto the route, Yes they could. (Yes we have the LM class 350 but that's Thomson so can't be used on another commercial route outside of them doing the route too).

• Like Like x 3
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It's not only 'covided' Bakerloo, but the entire Preserved collection.

My expectations not to deteriorate the quality of the product that I have already (ages ago) bought are probably even greater than the author of the thread :D :D :D

• Like Like x 5
  10. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Good post, the only thing where I would say is a serious problem are bugs that either are gamebraking or make the game hard to enjoy.

Personally I think I have a healthy expectation on what I want and what I will get and so far there has been not much that has disappointed me. Again, bugs not counted here.
    I have a feeling since it is called simulator and maybe the biggest on the market within the small group of train simmers(I don't know numbers, just a feeling) that people expect utmost perfection all the way through up to the tiniest amount. If the cockpit of the br 422 is marvelous, people will rant if there is one button not click able. This is the kind of "feedback" that I have most encountered within the last weeks.

Again bugs need to be fixed and the game must be playable, but I feel overall the Tsw2 platform is a really great representation of what it wants to be, a train simulation.
    Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 3
  11. londonmidland

If you’d happen to read the thread properly, perhaps you’d understand it a little better instead of writing a paragraph which is unrelated for the most part. Specifically the part about the WCML South coming to TS1, which has nothing to do with this thread.

This has nothing to do with the underground sections of the route. In fact I think they sound pretty decent. It’s the overground parts which I was clearly referring to. The same ambient sounds from East Coastway could’ve been re-used for this part, as they would’ve been perfectly useable.

Also, please don’t try and generalise yourself and the rest of the users on this forum by calling yourself a ‘commoner’ and make out like I have impossible expectations. The above clearly states that it can be possible to do things ‘right’, if done properly.

Please try and read the thread properly next time before making such claims.

• Like Like x 15
  12. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It's posts like this that cause me to miss the dislike button. Ironically, I would suggest retiring from your own plinth for a moment to re-examine londonmidland's thread.

There is absolutely an lack of consistency with the sounds in TSW2. Most notably the interior sounds are either too quiet (F40PH-2CAT, DB BR 155) or too loud (anything from Sandpatch Grade). This is frustrating because the sound mixing of these locomotives was absolutely fine in TSW2020. Whatever changes were made to the DLC with TSW2 downgraded the experience and unfortunately makes these locomotives less fun to drive.

I would like to see more sound consistency across DLCs but also between platforms. The current state of the audio mixing and ambience leaves much to be desired. DTG can do it, as I do recall Leeds having excellent ambience.

• Like Like x 14
  13. Bob12212

Very well said

• Like Like x 1
  14. londonmidland

Thanks for the support guys. Any constructive criticism is only because I want TSW 2 to be a better game, and it’s frustrating to see the game fail in the same area(s) multiple times. Make it feel like the game isn’t progressing anywhere. Some of which can be resolved very easily as explained in this thread.

Clearly some people need to get off their high horse and learn to read, but let’s leave it at that.

• Like Like x 5
  15. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Well I don't understand how a lot of these things weren't picked up during testing I mean it's not something hard to notice like the sounds on the preserved collection. It makes me think some of these things aren't tested at all or they know of these issues but don't fix it. But I wouldn't know what happens behind the scenes

Also we all want TSW2 to succeed obviously but saying not to have high expectations is a bit worrying when you are developing a game

• Like Like x 4
  16. londonmidland

This. It’s disappointing after the initial hype of TSW 2, everything is ‘back to normal’. Whilst I’ve seen some improvements in the game, we’re still seeing the same old bugs and issues which have haunted TSW from day one.

Sam’s (DTG Protagonist) reply about no changes expected to the way audio is handled leaves me with very little confidence for future content. Worryingly there’s not even been any acknowledgement at how poor the sounds have been and shows how low the bar is set by DTG for ‘acceptable’ sounds.

Although this is nothing new for DTG (they’ve always had low standards for sound quality and accuracy), I really hoped that a new game would raise standards. Although evidently not.

I really want the preserved collection done and dusted so the developers can start ‘proper’ on improvements and bug fixes.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Bob12212

The preserved collection need attention also, some have worse sound problems than they had in tsw 2020. The list seems to be getting longer, rather than shorter.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1