Ice 3 - To Eager Red Lights

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by aceridgey, Sep 15, 2020.

1. aceridgey

aceridgey Member

Hello,

On the Brussels to KOLN timetable routes,
    I find that there is a red light that is too aggressive approaching Brussels, what this means is that with the safety systems on, I only acheive 250kmh for around 2 minutes, before the automated braking kicks in.

I was looking forward to being able to sit at 250kmh for longer, as that is thrilling.

In the end, no matter how gentle or aggressive I am, I still hit this red light, stationary for around 30 seconds.

It'll also mean I am around 1 minute late into Koln, please could this be looked into?

2. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Hey aceridgey I have made a note of what you've just explained, although I can't promise or guarantee anything will get changed it will be looked into.

3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Agreed, on any of the Aachen to Köln timetable services, there's only a short distance where you can actually drive up to 250km/h. Although this might be realistic, it kinda takes away the fun of a high speed line.

4. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

You could wait a minute or two at the beginning so at Aachen. In that way you would probabbly be able to achieve a 250 for a longer stretch.

5. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

You can always ride the other way around to Aachen or do the run un scenario planner. Personally I would rather have realistic timetables, also it changes the gameplay so that it is not only watching the train go 250kmh for 20 minutes.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

The perennial tension 'twixt realism and fun. I've driven every one of the ICE services on that route and heading west from Köln it's invariably clear sailing and you can enjoy the thrill of 250km; eastwards is another matter as there's apparently a Regio ahead of you and there you are, seeing red! I'd hate for this to be changed. After all realism and challenge are important too. Perhaps DTG Natster could induce the developers to add an additional scenario or two with clear rails ahead?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The downside of Köln to Aachen is that once you have driven 250km/h a while, the slower section near Aachen feels extremely slow. IMO it's more fun to drive the other way around, have the slow section first and then slowly go faster and faster as you drive towards Köln.

I know having some red signals occasionally is interesting. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it weren't every single ICE service from Aachen to Köln.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mclitke

I understand your reasoning, but again, would it not be sufficient to go to scenario planner, drop the ice route Aachen to Köln and slap a couple services to pass you by in the other direction? This way the devs would not have to put extra work to twist the timetable mode around.

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I guess that would be an option. Altough I haven't tried the scenario planner yet. I quite like the timetable mode, which is where I spent pretty much all my playtime.

I don't expect them to change the timetable for Schnellfahrstecke Köln-Aachen, but it may be useful feedback to keep in mind for future highspeed DLCs.

10. mclitke

Little suggestion from my side, if you have the HRR route, in scenario planner there is an Ice route between Bochum and Duisburg. You can only go max 160 there but it is still a great run imo. Takes about 22 minutes with a stop at Essen, 20 if you make no stop.
    The train runs there irl too, but has not been added to the timetable mode.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

On the one hand you have people complaining that there are too many services where you are on clear greens all the way and on the other hand you have people complaining that they are experiencing realistic railway conditions where red signals are a reality. I do believe that DTG cannot win here. As for there being an ‘aggressive’ red signal somewhere in existence, well that’s a first for me. Unless it looks like :mad: of course!

• Like Like x 4
  12. mclitke

Yep said the same in another thread as well. On the one hand people complain about not enough realism and then people complain about either too much of it or that it takes away the fun. How are you supposed to react to such feedback as a dev...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Don't blame people for having different opinions and preferences. I also think providing feedback and stating preferences is different than "complaining".

• Like Like x 3
  14. mclitke

Yes you are right, I should not have made personal preferences and complains equal, I apologize.
    My preference here would be to keep the realism in this simulator game especially since it already offers options to switch to a mode where you can ignore said realism.

• Like Like x 2
  15. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Well my preference is for realistic operations. One of the biggest complaints on the GWR was the “green” runs constantly. I find straight through runs rather boring and like the challenge that a crowded rail corridor brings.

• Like Like x 4
  16. mclitke

I actually like both, you can just run your train straight a to b and relax, or listen to something. If there were more reds though you will have to watch the railroads carefully, as running a red light makes you lose instantly. In the SKA route it is especially good, since you know you can chill the way down to Aachen and that you have to be attentive on the way to Köln, it is no surprise once you figured out the timetable. Basically you can choose which type of run you want to do.

17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think a mix between "green" and "red" services in a timetable would be best.

That's why I like AWS. I consider it one of those safety systems which actually makes your the drive easier :P

• Like Like x 1
  18. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I think attentiveness in a train driver is a virtue! :)

19. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

i agree. aachen to koln often goes slower. 1 time i did 250km fully. but if its real life, br 442 obstructing further ahead, then i dont have a problem. i want it to stay like this. different flow of gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

me i absolutely love it. different flow in the route. i love both ways.

• Like Like x 1
  21. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

There's some parked up ICE trains (Düren I think) that could've made for a good coupling scenario. Would've been good to start there, decouple from the other unit, make your way to Aachen and then couple to the unit waiting there. Swap cabs, then make the journey to Köln. Have some red lights at Aachen whilst we wait for permission to couple or for other services to depart.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  22. aceridgey

aceridgey Member

Thank you for at least looking into it.

For now, i'll just do the westbound service.

23. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

And the problem is, it is realistic, as per real life, I imagine you are getting adverse signals day to day!

So DTG could create a service running on greens, it wouldn’t be realistic but at least would be fun?!

And that’s why DTG can never win, when you have a community so fickle at times. That’s directed at no one specifically by the way.

• Like Like x 1