Other Lighting Overbrightness Lack Of Shadows And Odd Behaviour In Passenger Compartments (rsn)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by xavpin234, Sep 15, 2020.

1. xavpin234

xavpin234 Member

alright here is an odd behaviour wich i suspect was intended but feels extremly like a massive lighthing bug in nearly all of TSW 2's content there seems to be an overbrightness with lights in the passenger compartements, lighting is also extremely wrong and overlall looks flat here are images of the afformetionned problem
    20200915172437_1.jpg as one can clearly see here light is so bright it even goes as far as to bleed trough the roof and side walls of the dostos ↑
    also one can clearly see that the light sources seem to come from thin air light has no direction, it comes from everywhere at the same time giving the impression of overbrightness also the light source(s) seem to be way too bright for what normal ligthing should look like also a distinc lack of shadow or reflection make the lighthing look dull and flat ↓
    20200915175421_1.jpg
    a good example of the way lighting in the wagons should look are like this ↓
    the light also gives an LED effect/bluish tint that in not present in TSW adding to the jsut not right effect of the trains ligthing and as one can see the light does give the impression you are looking directly at a light source within the game
    baking lighthing in wagons could be a way to solve the problem as one could toggle beetween baked off
    and baked on (it's a way to do it not the ultimate) PB220937.jpg
    again another example of the afformetionned ↓ but also a new problem comes where the blue light seems to fade of from a point that looks like it sits right in the dots in the glass door also lighting is flat and looks dull overall/ lacking caracter ,no shadows again 20200915175450_1.jpg
    here is a good example of how it should look like ↓
    DSC08190.jpg
    there is also a last problem where light seem to not be coming from the actual light sources they see to come from somewhere around the light source but not from it adding to the odd feeling of light it also radiates in all directions adding to the off feeling this. altough for some reason the cab does not suffer from the problem and so the dosto's cab is perfectly fine

2. xavpin234

xavpin234 Member

20200915172339_1.jpg 20200915172352_1.jpg
    more examples of the problem

3. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

Rather than make my own thread, I might as well add to this one. I too find the interior lighting in the game rather odd. I'm guessing this is a limitation of Unreal Engine not using ray tracing, but the main issues I notice strange "glows" coming from weird places on people in the carriages. This is very evident on the Bakerloo line. I'm thinking it might that the lighting from the ceiling and wall lights converges in a particular spot and is massively increasing the amount of light shining on people in certain positions. Whatever the cause, it's weird and nothing like real life. The other issue is that people cast no shadows. Weirdly, the benches on the platforms do have shadows, although I suspect they have been added into the textures to improve realism where the lighting engine itself can't create the shadows. See screenshots below.
    Some people might say this is related the "bloom" setting, but believe it or not, I've edited my engine.ini file to turn the bloom DOWN from 5 to 3, so it's possible that with the default setting, the weird glow effect is even stronger.

20210113172932_1.jpg 20210113173020_1.jpg 20210113173414_1.jpg 20210113173549_1.jpg