Train Simulator 2021 – Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-ChrisTS, Sep 15, 2020.

1. TrainSim-ChrisTS

TrainSim-ChrisTS Staff Member

20200915133434_1.jpg

Expand on your routes and locos by selecting user-created scenarios on Steam Workshop without ever leaving Train Simulator!

READ MORE

2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Will this include changes to publishing scenarios and routes? The UI there is still very clunky and you have to close TS and rename screenshots for them to display as a thumbnail (only the first 30 screenshots are shown from oldest to newest).

Wouldn't it be easier to provide some sort of link to steam's screenshot uploader so we can pick a thumbnail from our most recent screenshots? That may be helpful for new people given they may not know the workaround.

3. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Does this mean that the syncing error message has been resolved?

• Like Like x 1
  4. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Will we have the ability to search only for scenarios matching stock that we completely own? (i.e. not just "Show me all scenarios for route X" but "Show me all scenarios for route X that I can actually load without lots of editing".)
    As a bonus, if it let me search for as above but if I only was missing 1 or 2 things then it would list them but show what I was missing, that would be good as well. Thanks :)

5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Who do they think they're kidding with this ridiculous announcement? There's been a "Workshop" tab in TS for y-e-a-r-s. Moving it to a new position doesn't make it new.
    After years of creating and publishing scenarios for TS, I stopped because uploading my work became practically impossible. Since DTG has given up on adding an editor to TSW, perhaps I'll at least think about trying the TS workshop again, but one ounce of frustration will chase me away again.
    "New" Workshop my Aunt Fannie's apron strings!

• Like Like x 5
  6. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I think all they did was add the ability to search for scenarios in-game but going into the workshop page wasn't really an issue to begin with.

7. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Given it hasn't been mentioned, I very much doubt it

• Like Like x 1
  8. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Heh, I actually believe the opposite. I suspect it was fixed days after the release, just never published.
    As a developer I am annoyed by these little things and many of them are easy to fix.
    Heck, the nature of the bug (a simple debug popup with a caption about installed / missing assets) implies that some workshop improvements were considered well over a year ago. I agree with the above sentiments that it's a relatively small upgrade, probably more work in the background (dependencies starting to show up). I think it's more about pulling focus to it.

9. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

That is what I hoping as I have stopped downloading stuff from the workshop due to those errors but they have not really said much as of yet.

10. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Still only scenarios by the looks of it, hardly a "workshop" is it. Was hoping they'd incorporate and encourage more widespread modding tbh, oh well.

11. triznya.andras

Modding as a general term is not allowed for multiple reasons.
    Changes can break scenarios, and can make scoring and achievements either impossible or trivial. There have been some tractive effort changes over the years and some missions are quite broken due to it.

Reskins and additional assets (wagons) via workshop would be nice.
    Also the above mentioned changes can be produced as a cloned loco, there is no issue with that whatsoever.
    You can already upload routes. (There is a size limit.)

One risk though, some (license-related) uploads might not be welcome by certain parties.
    I mean, hey, here is Raton Pass without logos, but hey, the first workshop item is Raton Pass Branded.
    Yes, it exists, but it's not Steam / DTG delivering it.
    (The whole thing is silly but anyway. Just wanted to point out.)

12. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Due to the nature of the game it would always require a restart to see new stuff in the game, don't know if that is 'solved' with this update.
    I still use the workshop, but I just subscribe to the item and then manually unpack it (sadly I can't rate it then in-game).
    The more items you have from the workshop slows down the game and the 'syncing' message occurs (as my TS is already slow with hundreds of add-ons from Steam and 3rd party).

There are some very good add-ons on the workshop from regular uploaders but some scenario's either require 10 other repaints or are just the player train and no AI (standard scenario, not a freeroam). Wouldn't call that a scenario XD

One thing I dislike a bit is the position on the workshop tab in that screenshot in the first post, it should still be on the right, not in the middle, don't know who would think that is a great place to place it.
    You still need to switch tabs to play the scenario (either Career but mostly Standard).

Maybe a suggestion to look into is into briging back the older menu from TS2015/TS2016 where it was gray, simple and general feels nice to use.

• Like Like x 3
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The menu system is not ideal, it is very cumbersome, especially when you have a lot of content.I am surprised they haven't done something about them to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. simulator fan

simulator fan Member

does it no longer lock up when you try to use it?

15. longo239

We will find out tomorrow.

16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

The only issue (or risk as you put it) is when re-skins (or full mods) require payment, I have been heavily involved with ETS2, ATS (American Truck Sim not Alan Thompson Sim) both modding and as a closed beta tester since late 2012 and I can assure you the only issue with using branded logos is when people try making profit off of others intellectual and copyrighted material, free mods circumvent this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Noah Chappell

Noah Chappell New Member

My Question is what are the minimum Graphics requirements & what is the size of the new download. TrainSim-ChrisTS

18. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I may be the exception here, but while openning the workshop tab wasn't an issue, the ability to easily search for scenarios that only use stuff that I own was unnecessary cumbersome via the steam interface.

A month ago I wanted to have a go with the BigBoy. Finding a scenario for that was much more complicated that it needed it to be, because lots of scenarios used stuff that I don't own, and you have to go one by one to filter it out. The new way I just select big boy in the filter and thats it. I get all the bigboy scenarios that only use stuff that I own.

19. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think it it looks like a good upgrade to the workshop as searching on the workshop in steam is a pain. Hopefully they will do the same for routes as trying to find routes on steam workshop is more difficult than it should be, indeed you used to be able to filter routes out.

20. longo239

The filter button seemed to be causing issues in the stream for Matt, hopefully it will be resolved beforehand if not soon after release.

21. triznya.andras

TS 2018 was slow, but it was old and 32 bit.
    TS 2019 - the first 64 bit edition - used to be really fast. My scenario list loaded in a few seconds, 2-5.
    TS 2020 added a fancy workshop filter and favoriting, and it was slow again, it loads in 15-20 seconds (same as TS 2018). I also keep losing items from quick drive.
    Will see how TS 2021 behaves but seems like I have to refocus on processing routes sequentially. Shame, many have nice assets for free roaming.

22. Fabien H. Dumay

Fabien H. Dumay New Member

I am wondering - is there anything you have to do to get the scenario's working ?
    What i mean is that if i select one of the workshop items, it shows what is needed to play. Makes sense. However if i have one i would like to play, it refuses to load. It requires the Hamburg-Hannover route, for instance. I HAVE this route, but it does not seem to recognize the fact that i have this scenario.

Any Ideas ?

23. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

The filtering process does not always work. I restricted the installed routes filter to CSX-Hanover Subdivision and instead of the two workshop scenarios available for that route two for some Florida route appeared. Under two workshop scenarios for Hanover Sub do show up on the Standard tab, however. Obviously, there's still work to be done here!