Route Extension Proposals: Great Western Express

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Edward S (MilPop14), Sep 26, 2017.

1. Train simulator

Train simulator New Member

More great westen and heathrow airport and more oxford and other routes too please

2. Train simulator

Train simulator New Member

Like london paddington to heathrow airport. Train sim WORLD

• Like Like x 1
  3. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

they won't be able to Heathrow won't allow them to have a licence but they are thinking about having unbranded class 332 and 360 but i don't think they be able to build it to the stations cause they need access to the real stations and Heathrow won't allow them

4. Aquantis

Aquantis Active Member

Google maps and images is a thing

• Like Like x 1
  5. SeaHawk14

SeaHawk14 Member

I think a reasonably good extension would be from Reading all the way to Oxford.
    Not only does it add significant number of stations for the small commuter services, but it also seems to serve the Class 43's too. Whilst Bristol to Paddington would be a big ask, a route extension from Reading to Oxford would actually serve all three trains (43,166 & 66) and actually works in your favour for future proofing if the 43's and 166's are replaced by the newer 800's and 387's.
    Personally I feel that the 43's don't get much of a run, so this sort of extension should actually satisfy those that want more time in the HST's, as well as those who want to trundle about.
    Untitled.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
  6. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

This wouldn't work because the Heathrow line is underground so won't be visible on satellite images

7. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

That is a key point actually Edward. It shouldn't just be mainline, it should feature distances of each branch (e.g. Reading to Newbury, Reading towards London Waterloo, Reading to Didcot Parkway, London to Hammersmith, etc). This is because it is important that a sense of purposeful services exist and actually go to those listed destinations rather than it just being an excuse to despawn.

• Like Like x 4
  8. CresterYT

CresterYT New Member

This is an amazing idea It would be amazing to have branch lines to give more variety, if we can get more trains like the 387 and 801 and the main line extended it would actually make this game worth it

9. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

Definitely a much needed extension. As others have even said, maybe an extension to Didcot too. I would pay for it, but not much more than a tenner. I hope this one gets into the game sooner or later! :)

10. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I think with UE4 and the service mode for a 24 hour network it would definitely make for it, if TS2019 can have the mainline out of Paddington down to Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff and soon Penzance, surely in TSW it'll be epic! Excuse the pun.

I greatly support this!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Going back to the GWR Thames Valley Branches

Class 387s are moving to Heathrow Connect with the obvious advantage of providing one type of rolling stock for both GWR and HEX services. As pointed out, 345s will eventually replace the 360s on the Connect service. I think both units will be a great use to TSW. The 387 is easily adaptable to 377/6, 377/7, 379s and of course 387s on Great Northern, Greater Anglia, C2C and Gatwick Express. The 345s are very similar to the new London Overground 710s, Greater Anglia 720s and the units on order for West Midlands and C2C.

Big thumbs up to the idea, though my preference would be as part of a GWR Electric Expansion pack with 387s and IETs.

• Like Like x 3
  12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that the 387 was being developed, it was a long time ago though. I would love to see the Greenford branch with a class 165 2 car unit, the other Thames Valley branches would be great too. I am surprised that we have not seen any DLC for this route yet as it could do with something to give it a bit more variety.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wivenswold

I believe it's Master Key Simulations that were working on the 387. As it would not take much effort to reskin it to be 377/6, 377/7 and 379, I think it would be a superb addition. There's a distinct lack of modern EMU units in TS2019, along with the huge gap in the AC slamdoor coverage of course, it rather limits the possibilities on a number of South East UK TS routes.

14. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I still find it strange DTG haven't updated the Kuju assets, if you've bought the rights to a platform surely update it. TSW is nice but again, UE4 is all show and no go.

EDIT i have now got TSW on the sale the bundle and i'll say 100% I was wrong to go on other peoples reviews. Its next level!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  15. LewisInfiniti

LewisInfiniti Member

I have just summarised everything that has been said so it easy to read:

Proposed Extensions of the Great Western Express:
    • Newbury Branch
    • Oxford Extension
    • Greenford Branch
    • Heathrow Branch
    • Windsor & Eton Central Branch
    • Marlow Branch
    • Henley-on-Thames Branch
    The entire Great Western Railway network has also been suggested but quickly denied due to the size.

The Class 387, 800, 165 & 67 & 59 and other variants of the Class 66 have also been proposed.

My Proposals:
    • If added, the Newbury branch should be continued to Bedwyn, but with the option to run a Newbury-terminating service.
    • The 'First Great Western' Original and Plain Blue liveries should be included for the C-165 and a variant of these included for the C-166.
    • If permission by Great Western Railway is granted, all in-train announcements should be included on the C-165, C-387 and C-800 with an update to the C-166 adding these.

I hope the original proposals that have been noticed by DTG are added and that my proposals are noticed and added.

• Like Like x 6
  16. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

Okay so I've read the majority of the thread but I'm just going to add my little bits to it.
    As DLC:
    I'd love to see the GWE route lengthened by a couple of stops for the HST's as right now the vast majority are just straight through to reading and it can get at times.
    As part of the expansion some of the branch lines listed above could be incorporated in that DLC, especially interested in the Greenford line (so you can do the Greenford route fully) and the Henley line, as that has a couple of stops and doesn't require Heathrow.

In an update:
    Just like everyone else I'd like the Blue First Great Western Livery and I believe we could get it as the First group still have the franchise (despite wanting their newest colours only, at this point in time).
    More rolling stock in the sidings and yards, even if they were fixed and technically classed as scenery, it would still be nice to have a bit more colour along the lines.

Okay so this hasn't been mentioned before and I know this goes against the realism factor of TSW but here I go. I run Train Sim World (and Euro Truck 2) on my new-ish laptop which has an i7 but isn't the quickest of machines, would it be possible as part of an update for Dovetail to add an option to be able to toggle the overhead power lines? So keep the pylons and the arms that hang from them, but be able to get rid of the lines hanging from them as none of the trains require them and they do take processing power to render, especially near Paddington where there's loads. I assume they're in the code somewhere as an object or several, so I don't that would require much work, of course a menu in the UI would have to be tweaked. I believe this would only benefit a couple fps, especially as they would no logner require shadows, but would be worth it to people who have lower end PCs and play TSW to enjoy and not to nitpick details.

Hopefully some people agree with my last point so it gets implemented.
    Cheers

17. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I've heard that expansions wont be possible due to DTG focusing on more work to get more out.

But I dont know, i posted this thread on UKTS and it got shut down instantly, just a heads up as Matt P resides there

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  18. theorganist

I wouldn't say it got shut down, not many post on the TSW forum over there so you won't get that many replies.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I am keen to see the riveira reflected in UE4 just because you can do a lot more with this.

I gather DTG want to focus on making more routes but as SimUK said paying for branch lines and extensions at a reasonable fee would be a great option too. But the Class 387 and the Electrostar family is definitely a must. So I still bump this hoping its seen by the good people at Dovetail

20. LewisInfiniti

LewisInfiniti Member

I recently posted a reply to this in which I summarised all of the ideas and proposals.

I don't know if it's true since I've only heard it from one person, but apparently, the Class 387 and 800 were canceled due to licensing issues.
    If this is false, please let me know.

21. Wivenswold

That's bad news if true. Such licensing issues are rather going to strangle simulation of modern railways.

22. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

the rumour mill at the moment is that the GWR license is expiring this year and GWR arent replying to DTG renenwal emails.

23. RichGWR22

RichGWR22 Member

i hope its just a rumour as i would really like to see more Great Western Railway content in TSW and TS2019

• Like Like x 2
  24. Gabriel Jennings

Gabriel Jennings New Member

I wouldn't mind seeing the SWR branch from Reading even as far as Twickenham if Clapham or Waterloo is not posibble

• Like Like x 1
  25. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

they wont touch the GWE route. Even though its still the most bought route theyre not going to work on older content, shame really as i seen this route as a great base to work off and grow and grow each year yet no loco DLC still no bug fixes for the sound and just heavily working on 'old-style' UK routes or abroad, such a pitty.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

setting the route in 2015 might have saved 15 miles of overhead wires and added some construction interest. Its tied DTGs creative hands up I fear. Ditch the licenses work on the base route loco fundamentals and a fully comprehensive edit mode. 3rd partys can sort the PC users. Playstation and Xbox communities can use images ,in game editors for reskins and download scenarios from DTG. Get a game that does this and save many headaches, not to mention thousands of pounds? Im sure all these options have been discussed in the Dovetail office and its nothing they havent heard before, but just incase.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  27. YukiSuter

YukiSuter New Member

you dont need a license for freeware i dont think so I did start making that branch a while ago but i gave up considering I had no blender skills whatsoever xD (just track rn)

28. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

If the devs respond to this

Can you use 387’s possibly

29. UnlimitedMagic

Mainline TS series can’t use HEX so it’s a win win

30. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I still bump this.
    Maybe DTG should start hiring from the community to be able to make routes such as this, SCS did and now look at ETS

• Like Like x 1
  31. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

32. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I
    I rather have that and the whole line be extended much farther out of Reading to Bristol Temple Meads, Swansea, Plymouth, Penzance, Hereford, Newbury, Cardiff Central, Weston-Super Mare, Didicot Parkway, Worcester Foregate Street, Moregate-in Marsh, Exter St David's, Taunton, Great Malvern, Henley On Thames Banbury and Oxford

33. UnlimitedMagic

1)That can’t be possible since it would take too long for the devs to do that.
    2)Extending Reading to Bristol would add another 69miles so imagines how it would be for other destinations.
    3) They could still extend it to Didcot and Oxford since it’s not really a long extension.
    4) DTG are focusing on expanding the route collection at the moment so we won’t be seeing extensions soon.

34. tallboy7648

Anything is possible. They can do it, I guess they don't want to. Hell they have it in Train Simulator so I can't see why they can't do it in TSW. They keep neglecting the routes that don't go the full distance. It's absurd

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  35. tallboy7648

Also the route has been out for three years, they could probably get third party support. It's been neglected for far too long

• Like Like x 1
  36. UnlimitedMagic

Agree

37. tallboy7648

If they can do it in Train Simulator, then I don't see why they can't do it in TSW. It's nice that they want to make more routes, but most of the time they don't go the full distance and act like it's ok. Reviews of these routes ask for an extension so can they please finally do that.

38. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Maybe there could be a compromise. Add an extension but keep service mode split into the various dlcs and create scenarios that will go across an extension.

39. theorganist

That could be an answer, but it will kill immersion a little if you arrive at Reading for example on a Oxford service and then have to reload again to continue the journey. You might as well make the totally separate routes if you do that as if journeys cannot continue across the "join" then there is no point joining them up as far as I can see. That is just my opinion, others may not be worried about that.

40. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Seperate routes would work for me. In TSW currently there are trigger points where you could take on a scenario. Why not pull up at red signal at reading. Get off train to a nearby trigger point and take up an option of “Continue to Didcot” click, put kettle on come back and youre sat in same train at the same time. Ready for departure.

• Like Like x 1
  41. UnlimitedMagic

But in TSW I takes way longer since they use UE4 So they they have to give all the detail they can to everything unlike in TS2020 where they can but not as much
    Also before in the early days of TSW route were about 30miles long and there would be about a 2-3 month gap so imagine if they do full routes which are about twice that.

They might consider making extensions in the future but now they are expanding the route collection. So their priority is to add more content

• Like Like x 1
  42. tallboy7648

I would prefer to do the entire route instead of a split

43. tallboy7648

It's been far too long. Three years is ridiculous. I just feel like the new routes dovetail are gonna continue to add will just be short and not go full distance just for the money. It's a shame and it has to stop. If you guys are not gonna add the full distance of the line, then don't make it.

44. tallboy7648

I don't agree with that because it takes away the immersion slightly and isn't realistic

45. Sam6489

Sam6489 New Member

Look the route has been out for three years, they could've used that time to extend the Great Western Express route. They could've gotten third party support. People have asked for an extension for a long time. I'm sick and tired of dovetail making routes that don't go the full distance and they charge $30. I rather pay $30 for a full route instead of paying $30 for a short route. You can't get the full experience. You can't act like it's impossible, just another excuse. They should take their time on making "full routes" instead of making all these routes that don't go full distance. People would be satisfied then and not give it low ratings. I like quality over quantity. I'm dissatisfied with Dovetail Games and they need to change their ways. They don't seem to be putting effort and I feel like they'll just continue to release shorter routes. It's not a sim then.

46. theorganist

It is about cash flow, it takes longer to make these more detailed routes in TSW and the less often they release a product the less money they make, it is simple business sense and business practice, they are a business first and foremost, they need cashflow to pay staff and develop products, it is easy to say "make longer routes" less easy to actually do it. You might find if they released longer routes they might be less detailed than shorter routes.

I would like to see some longer routes, most would, but there are still some very good and immersive routes out there. My favourite is the Tees Valley, not a long route but detailed, full of atmosphere and plenty to do on it.

47. Sam6489

Sam6489 New Member

If they keep releasing shorter routes and with very few scenarios, it gets boring fast. Longer routes will allow more immersion and with more scenarios, they won't get boring so fast. And also, they made hundreds of thousands of dollars with there routes in Train Simulator so I don't think money is an issue. They charge more in Train Simulator 2020. Just another excuse

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  48. tallboy7648

Dovetail is perfectly capable of doing it. Train Simulator 2020 has a lot of detail as well. Can't believe someone said it's impossible. If that was a person from Dovetail then it shows that u guys are being extremely lazy. U should be ashamed. The unreal engine allows game developers to make very large and very long maps with unlimited distance so I don't see what's the problem. Nothing but excuse after excuse. Dovetail has made a thousands of dollars from Train Simulator with all of their huge dlc's that go the full distance. Hell, I have train simulator 2020 on my computer and a couple of dlc's so money is not an issue. Along with the fact that a lot of routes I Train Simulator have really good detaiI but not the graphics of tsw. I feel like genuinely they're just being lazy or they don't want to expand the Great Western Express. I rather wait for the release of a full route that goes where it says on the timetable instead of waiting for a route that doesn't go the full distance and only has a few scenarios. What a disgrace, DTG should be ashamed.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  49. theorganist

No one has said it is impossible. It is the development time, presumably it takes a lot longer to make a 70 mile route in TSW than it does in TS1. Therefore if they make longer routes they release far less routes a year, they generally charge the same amount per route, so they are making less money.

Why would they only release Paddington to Reading in TSW when they released Paddington to Oxford in the original Rail Simulator? In business products are made to a budget, everything is costed down to person hours, materials used and development costs, I work in procurement so I know something about this, I imagine it is the same for developing DLC.

Maybe I am wrong and maybe DTG are just lazy money grabbers but can you explain rationally why that would be where I am sure they know that selling a Paddington to Oxford route would be much more of a headline grabber than Paddington to Reading?

I agree with the premise that it would be nice to see longer routes, I would love to drive to Oxford, I would have love NTP to have gone to York or even better Liverpool which is a natural terminus but they are a business and have to make a profit, not sure they need to feel ashamed to be honest about that! The bottom line is it is your money and you should spend it how you want and if you don't feel DLC offers value for money then don't give them your hard earned cast.

50. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I think theres more to it. Such as a mid to low PC or console having to figure out 100 miles plus worth of services. A loaded scenario, it knows whats going on straight away dosent it. Thats why I suggested keeping the dlcs split but lining up the services as close as possible.