PlayStation The Train Mirrors

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by javionxavierdees, Sep 17, 2020.

1. javionxavierdees

javionxavierdees New Member

I don’t understand why the mirrors are not functioning correctly but on the ac4400cw they don’t move and so as other trains expect for the gp40-2 and you can’t see out of them.

2. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Never understood why the 66 mirrors don't work with either on the east Coastway, would be nice to see in them shunting back to unload

3. m.poznan

m.poznan Member

I believe its a game limitation, thats why none of the mirrors work, although you can move some of them!

4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

None of the mirrors work. Bakerloo line has mirrors at the end of the platform to look back at your train and they don't work.
    Shame

5. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

A mirror consists of the entire scene rendered again and flipped. Thus the performance cost is huge, and the reason they have not been implemented in TSW/TSW2.

Additionally, the reflections seen on shiny bodywork at very shallow angles, are a completely different system, so cannot be used as mirrors.

• Like Like x 3
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Surely it could be figured out a system which doesn't require the whole scene to be rendered again right?
    FSX (2006) allows you to open an infinite amount of "tabs" all of them showing a different angle or even visual of your aircraft without a big performance hit.

What about all the games that feature mirrors, such as all driving games?

I'm not an expert and I don't want to pretend like I know better than the dev team but is it physically impossible to find a work-around or is simply considered not worthwhile in the bigger scheme of things?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  7. m.poznan

m.poznan Member

As to my knowledge its due to this game being on unreal engine, and thats where the problems with mirrors start..

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

It's perfectly possible to do it. There are many solutions and ways to add them. Yes other games feature them.

It's an expensive feature (performance-wise) and as such we have chosen to put that performance towards other aspects of the software.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I always wondered why the same system couldn't be used for proper mirrors. I mean those shallow angle reflections are pretty nice with good detail, they even include rolling stock and such, so I tought "why can't they just be simulated in a wider view angle to make proper mirrors?".

Is it maybe something to do with the fact that those reflections show stuff that are already in view anyway? Therefore they don't require completely new renders?

Anyway I'm hoping that one day you will be able to come up with something. Even if they are not a must have, it would be good to have them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That makes sense got it

11. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Seems the mirrors do work if you stick your head out, to some extent

Attached Files: