Question For Dovetail Games (replying On Something Said In Livestream 1 September)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Purno, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I don't know where to post this question, since I'm a PC player I'll just ask it here.

In the stream of 1 september, at around 54:45,

Sam mentions that routes from the Netherlands are a popular suggestion. If they're third parties willing to develop any route, they should contact DTG. But, I wonder, what would be needed to actually get DTG themselves to develop such a route, considering they recognize it's a popular suggestion?

(I'm not posting in suggestions because I'm not making an actual suggestion. It's more or less a general question what is needed, and what we as community can do, to turn any suggestion into reality).

2. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

It's as we've mentioned a few times now, but bears repeating: moving to cover a new country takes a lot of work to build up a suitable library of scenery. We also have to ensure that track infrastructure works according to that country's system of operation. Then we need the licenses from operators with whom we probably don't already have any relationship. We'd need several members of the team to take the time to become conversant in how these rail systems operate so we can verify that what's designed reflects reality (where possible).

The set-up time for making routes in a new country is significant. For that reason we want to ensure that we've got several routes or locos planned to be created - those costs of set-up then being offset across multiple add-ons that are released. None of this is a small decision to make.

It really comes down to risk. Do we think there'd be interest in a Netherlands-based add-on? Certainly. Enough to warrant three or four releases? Maybe?

So it comes down to being a business decision, and those decisions are based on what the company thinks will be most popular with the least friction to development.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Does this mean that once DTG steps into a new country, we can expect more add-ons of that country in future? (Which, at this point would be Canada and France I guess)

Is there anything we, the community, can do to help and increase our chances for any country to be featured in an add-on? (be it the Netherlands, or any other country DTG hasn't done yet)

4. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Voicing your enthusiasm, as you have already done is as effective an approach as any. Suggesting particular routes, eras, trains as appropriate it's all helpful. Will we do more Canadian or French routes? I can only say "probably". That we've put in some ground work already increases the likelihood, but the TSW world is still in its infancy so it's as likely to be a while before we revisit them again... maybe.

(I humbly submit this as my entry into "least useful post of the day")

• Like Like x 8
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

While voicing our enthusiasm lets DTG know there's a demand for a new country, it doesn't really reduce the set-up time, which form an important part of the business decision because of the risks invovled. Is there really nothing else we can do? (At least, for those of us not having any modelling or programming skills). It feels a bit helpless just poking DTG "hey we'd like this country" and just waiting for it to happen, not knowing if it even might ever happen at all.

Canada and France are also countries that DTG made for Train Simulator. I understand most of the programming and modelling needs to be redone for TSW, but am I correct in assuming parts of the research can be re-used, and perhaps making new license deals for TSW might be easier if the licences have been obtained for Train Simulator?

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

For TSxxx there is a very active Dutch community. It is sad to see that DTG left it by side. This community developed a number of high quality routes. There are teams capable to develop signalling, level crossings etcetera. We have a fantastic guy that created most of the buildings you need. Chris Longhurst has the know-how to create all rolling stock we may desire. I believe all these people have sufficient skills to deserve a developer licence.DTGs policy to ignore the Netherlands completely has done a lot of damage. The downside of this policy has been that getting Dutch routes to work is cumbersome. The result for TSW has been a very low interest, as far as I can see. I can recommend to seek co-operation with those Dutch development teams and at least try to find out if there is a mode to co-operate and make some Dutch routes possible. If oy don't want, you should at least enable the Dutch community to do this. I think it is to easy to keep saying it is complicated. If I can help in this process, contact me. I do it for free.

7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I once searched for community made Dutch routes for Train Simulator, but if I remember correctly these routes required a very long list of dependencies, both free and paid. That really held me back, as I don't like the hassle of manual installation, and I wouldn't mind paying extra to have an auto-installer like Steam has.

I hope when the community makes content for TSW, they try to keep the dependencies as low as possible.

8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Has that dev team contacted DTG to get in the partner program?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Don't know. I am not part of any dev team, but I really would like to see Dutch routes in TSW2.

10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I agree with you, you also need quite a lot of commercial rolling stock to do anything useful. In part this situation exists because people use a lot of freeware content, but in general you are not allowed to use it in the package. A recent development is that people are developing bundles with freeware content for Dutch routes.

On the positive side, once you managed to to get 2 or 3 routes working, it will be far less effort for the next ones.

11. tloic16

tloic16 New Member

hello my friends say xbox one and ps4 TSW 2 ICE the roadmap controller a vibration yes. why steam pc not you is forgotten updates the roadmap while controller an xbox vibration in steam pc. I need to control a vibration in steam pc please. TS2020 already handles a vibration yes. I am a little angry to wait a long time and I am deaf !!!