A Little Perspective On The Yearly Ts Core Updates.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Not every year can bring revolutions. We had the 64bit version two years ago, that was a huge upgrade. As long as things are moving forward with TS, small steps or big steps, i think we have reasons to be happy.

If they fixed the OOM errors (which i had no big problems with) and added new functionally (this time the Workshop, which i don’t use, but many do) then i’d say it is a fine update.

2. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I get where you are coming from, but there are some real blips prevalent in the core which I would personally like to resolve.

3. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

What exactly has been changed? Isn't their usually some kind of changelog for most software updates?

So far all I'm seeing is a new startup screen, new main screen wallpaper, the workshop tab has moved one tab to the right and now has the additional functionality.

It was mentioned that a list would be published closer to release.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  4. Kim Olesen

Well ofcourse there is room for improvement. There will always be things that can be better. That goes with any piece of code ever made.

But i also acknowledge that there has been overtures made to find out what improvements we users would like to see.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kim Olesen

If, as Matt recently said, the OOM crashes has been dealt with, that is a quite big and important bug fix.

6. dunkrez

It is, and perhaps the new workshop functionality was linked to that issue.

Performance wise, the engine still needs an overhaul.

7. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

No one is really saying anything at the moment.

Is the day after close enough?

• Like Like x 1
  8. AlexTheMole

AlexTheMole Active Member

I've just done some very quick and limited testing using the 3 routes I have the most common crash issues with:
    Woodhead Blue, GEML (around Liverpool Street) using one of the very intensive AP scenarios, and Settle to Carlisle 1975 from the workshop.
    I cant run these 90% of the time without them crashing on me, but since the update yesterday I've just tried all of them 3 times each and not a single crash happened. Also they seemed to be generally smoother. I've done nothing else to the game different and am running on max graphics and all that jazz.

Due to the strange lack of patch notes we don't really know what they have done to the game, but all I can say is it does seem to be a bit better than it was. Shame that is being overshadowed by the atrocious issues with the WCML South.

• Like Like x 7
  9. dunkrez

I'm starting to strongly suspect that the OOM issue may have been caused by some kind of workshop fault.

10. AlexTheMole

AlexTheMole Active Member

It's possible, I don't know enough about these sorts of things. I've been playing AP scenarios on the GEML for a bit and one 3rd party scenario at Liverpool Lime Street with a LOT of AI traffic and have no hint of crashing and basically no lag. I've never seen TS this smooth!

I've also gone and looked at my paging file as I saw someone suggesting that helping in the bug reports section and have upped my memory limit on that. So far, and fingers crossed it stays this way, TS is more playable than it was.

11. dunkrez

I've been too ill to play 2021, but you've definitely whet my appetite for tonight. Tooth trauma is now fully under control so I'm free to enjoy driving loco's again with no pain! :) It's the little things. So, if it really is a smoother experience, I'm going to recreate a run I've already recorded and see how it compares.

Edit: I'd really love to see those changelog notes DTG.

Edit 2: OOM error after 5 minutes of playing, this time with the game left on the title screen.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  12. Kim Olesen

32bit or 64bit version. Matt recently said that it is not adviced to use the 32bit version.

13. dunkrez

64-bit version, always. Crash to desktop after 5 minutes sat at the title screen.

Oh well.

14. brummie

brummie Active Member

Just read this thread and decided to test out the Trent Valley route as I played it a few times this week. I was always getting around 15 fps for most of the route using the Pendelino scenarios. This unit is an fps killer, compared to the other stock on same route, whereby I get around 40fps and more. I was surprised when I ran the 'Pendo' scenarios after this upgrade to TS 2021 as I now get a good 20 fps, and I haven't changed any of my settings. Something must have changed under the hood, no complaints here on that score.
    Just had another longer run this time on same route and my fps was reaching sometimes 35 fps? definitely wasn't getting these before, that was in the first scenario in decent weather.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  15. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I really like the workshop update in TS2021. Unfortunately, I have lost it.

I crashed my installation and, thanks to advice I have read here, I had a Railworks folder backup. It was from just before the TS 2021 update. I was able to recover all the assets and mods, but I am back to TS2020. I was thinking that the game would just re udate itself, but so far that has not happened.

Is there any way of getting my install to once again update to TS2021. I have checked the "Always keep this game up to date" box in the Train Simulator properties on Steam, but I still can't get the update to occur. I have a copy of the "corrupted" Railworks folder available if it would help to transfer a file into my current Railworks folder.

Thanks!

16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

You could try "verify integrity of game files" (found when you right click on game name, select Properties, and then the local files tab) No idea if this'll sort your issue if not it might mean a clean install (but wait for others to post here first as I may be incorrect and I'd hate you to lose any custom content on my account)