PC Does Tsw Require Steam?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by metra99, Dec 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. metra99

metra99 New Member

Can someone please confirm if Steam is required for TSW? Or do they have a Windows PC version that can run without Steam?

2. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

If you buy it on Steam then yes it requires steam, or you can buy it on the windows store if you do not wish to use Steam .

3. metra99

metra99 New Member

Thanks ASRGT, very helpful! I should have mentioned that I run Windows 7, so don't have access to Windows Store. Do you happen to know if there is a downloadable version? I would have just added to cart to see, but CSX Heavy Haul is waitlisted currently.

4. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend to buy the steam-version or from a source that delivers you a steamkey. Every other platform is just half-ass suported and dlc's may not be available.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

^ This

Windows Store version is already behind Steam in updates.

6. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Hi, its my understanding that there is no version outside of the two mentioned. The Windows store version is I believe running on the UWP platform, this platform ( Universal Windows Platform) was first introduced in Windows 10 and there for does not support Windows 7. the UWP platform will be the same basis of the game that will eventually come to Xbox consoles but until then patch levels for this version tend to lag behind the Steam version of the game.

You really only have two options here from what I can see, if you wish to stay on windows 7 then Steam is the only game in town , or if you really do not wish to use Steam then you will be forced into an OS upgraded to access the Windows store version but as others have mentioned this version currently is not as up to date in terms of patch levels as the steam version. I have no personally experience with the UWP version so cant comment on any differences in terms of how the game runs ect.

Good luck :)

7. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Steam is the correct platform for you. It's a free service that catalogs all games purchased via the platform and keeps them up to date for you. If you game on the PC, it is essential software.

• Like Like x 1
  8. goes2jack

goes2jack New Member

Uht-oh. I ordered Train Simulator 2018 through the dovetailgames.com. I didn't know what was going to happen. About 20 minutes later I got an order confirmation and was told it would be mailed to my home address.

9. Raymond J

Raymond J New Member

If you purchase on Steam, you can download the game to your hard drive as a backup. I've been able to play my Steam purchased games offline just fine after downloading them.