I Think We Should Have A Modern Welsh Or Scottish Route.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by james64, Aug 23, 2020.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

All of the modern British routes so far take place in the south east of the UK, including the upcoming London- Faversham route. I can see this getting somewhat stale pretty soon, so I think it would be neat to have a present day route set in either Wales or Scotland- ideally one for both.

As far as Welsh routes go,one suggestion springs to mind:

My suggestion would be the South Wales Mainline, or "Swanline" from Cardiff Central to Swansea. It was mentioned that the reason DTG are adding the London- Faversham route to the game is because they already have much of the data for the route because it's in TS2020. This route is also in TS2020 as the Bristol- Swansea route, so it wouldn't require as much work to put in as a brand new route. As much as I'd love to see the full route from Bristol included, something tells me that would make it too long for DTG to want to put it in TSW2. I notice most of the routes they put in TSW can be fully driven in around 30-40 minutes, so Cardiff to Swansea is already pushing it, as it typically takes 50 minutes for the fastest trains to traverse the line. Then again, if I'm not mistaken London- Faversham is a fair bit longer than that so maybe they're breaking out of that pattern.

It's a nice route with wonderful scenery, and I think it would be a great addition to the game.

As far as traction goes, three trains come to mind. Firstly, although they don't run on the route anymore, it seems like a no brainer to put in the Class 43 HST. It would require minimal effort to implement, and it would be nice to drive these trains in a new environment. You'd drive these trains on express services along the route.

The Class 175 Coradia would be my second pick. They're probably the most unique form of traction on the route, and would be really interesting to drive. We haven't yet had a 100mph DMU in the game yet (166s max out at 90, and are more suited to suburban services than 175s), so I think it would be an interesting addition. You'd probably drive them on semi fast services, although I confess in terms of scenario implementation they probably wouldn't be that different from HSTs...

The final train would need to be something to operate local stopping services. I propose either the Class 150 Sprinter, or the dreaded and infamous Pacer- either Class 142 or 143, either would be accurate for the route. Like it or not, Pacers are very iconic trains, so it seems like a natural step to put them in DTGs flagship sim. They have bundles of character, and would probably be a lot of fun to drive. Not to mention on this route you'd be able to max them out, and see why they're called "Nodding Donkeys".

One final note about this route- a possible expansion of the route could be the branch from Bridgend to Maesteg.

The North Wales coast would be another great idea, although I get the impression it's too long for DTG to want to put it in, even if they started it at Llandudno Junction instead of Chester. And if they cut it back from Holyhead to, say, Bangor, it would make the route feel incomplete. You could also put the Class 175s on this route, as well as Class 221 Super Voyagers to run the faster services. Class 158 "Express Sprinters" could also be a good fit.

I'm not as familiar with railways in Scotland (seeing as I live in Wales), although I do have a couple of suggestions for a potential Scottish route.

The first would be one of the routes between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I say "one of" because there are actually several, and all of them are potential candidates. You'd be able to operate either fast expresses connecting the two major cities or local stopping services. Depending on which of the routes is chosen, a number of trains could be added, although one that I think must be added is the Class 385 EMU. They're the new workhorses of this route, and would be perfect. If the route only had 385 though it would probably be a bit boring, so below I'll list several trains that could be added.

- Class 220/221 "Voyager" (if it's the route via Motherwell)
    - Class 380 "Desiro" (pretty similar to the 385s, so I'd only want them to be added if there was something else as well)
    - Class 156 "Super Sprinter" or Class 158 "Express Sprinter" (almost entirely replaced by 385s on the route now I believe, although they could play it off as the route being set in the transition period, kinda like the Great Western Express route).

The other idea I had isn't that different from the previous suggestion, although I think it captures a better suburban feeling than the previous idea- Ayr to Glasgow Central.

I watched a cab ride of this route, and thought it would be a great fit for this game. I like the idea of a route where you watch a city slowly build up as you drive towards your destination. This route could feature Class 380 Desire EMUs for stopping services, and Class 156 "Super Sprinters", which would work faster services as they work longer distance services to Stranraer.

There you have it! Thanks so much for reading my ideas! Please let me know what Welsh and Scottish routes you'd love to see in TSW2. :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. Leapansumo

Leapansumo New Member

I'd also like to see the South Wales mainline, North Wales Mainline & Welsh Marches line make their transition from TS2020 to TSW2. I would also like to see a route that takes in the Pembrokeshire coastline or Barmouth coastline.

3. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Can't suggest any routes, because I haven't the knowledge; but because of my love for both Wales and Scotland, when DTG creates them, I promise to buy any such routes -- sight unseen!

4. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley on the Class 385

Glasgow Queen Street to Inverness,Alloa,Dundee and Dunblane, As i live in Stirling i always see the HST,Caledonian Sleeper,Class 170,385,156 and 158.

I would say these routes would be a good selection with the Locos.

• Like Like x 1
  5. no123

no123 Member

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s where some of my family come from, if we go back three generations.

I think any Scottish or Welsh route would be welcome, in any era, because that’s where the best scenery is in UK.

Junction to Holyhead passes through lots of great scenery. Having that set in the late 70s - early 80s would take me back to family holidays in the area. More modern would be okay too. ‘Junction’ as it’s known to locals was the last place I visited in Wales last year, stopping off there for some chips on the way home from a camping holiday, after taking a lengthy detour to walk over the Menai Bridge and visit family nearby. We didn’t go on the train, it was the last trip in our camper van before selling it. Too much info? Probably. But I’d love to see that route in TSW2.

7. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

I have put a list of suggestions on an other post, but a few Scottish routes would be good such as

Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley with Class 385

Glasgow Queen Street to Dundee,Alloa and Dunblane with the Class 170, 385, 156 & 158

Glasgow Queen Street to Inverness on the HST

8. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

I also think that we should have a welsh route, they are already negotiating for licenses, but I think you'll still find the best scenery in cornwall.

• Like Like x 2