Potential Bug On Peninsula Corridor

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mcskimmingj, Jul 23, 2020.

1. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

I encountered something on peninsula corridor I was trying to do the baby bullet journey 143 San Jose diridion to san Francisco but when I get to 22nd Street I stuck at a permanent red signal that never changes when I went to the 2d map to look ahead the special train that was added with the cal train switcher is stopped in the tunnel further ahead so. I restarted the service and tried again same. Thing third Time I. Started and went ahead on the map to see and at start of the service I can see the special train on the map stopping in the tunnel Its therefore impossible to complete this service has anyone else encountered this

• Like Like x 3
  2. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I’ll look into this later today (on my PS4)... sounds like I can just start the journey and check out status of the NB track and signals near the 22nd St. stop on the route map. Maybe other folks here can test this out as well, to see if this is an isolated issue or possibly an issue affecting everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stockton Rails

Update: I see the same issue with the Special Train stopping just north of the 22nd St platform at the start of the journey on my PS4 as well. The track in front of him is clear all the way to the 4th and King St terminal, so not sure why he’s stopping- unless he’s waiting for a particular platform to free up in SF since this is a long train.

Anyway, I tracked down the Caltrain Switcher journey where the Special Train heads out of SJ heading to SF (gave up control to ride as a spectator). I’m filming the run on my PS4 so I’ll be able to watch what happens when the train reaches the 22nd St area... should know more in about an hour.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stockton Rails

Ok, I did some testing, and here’s what I’ve discovered:

Not sure, but I suspect this might be an issue with the AI-controlled ‘Special Train’ getting rolling down the tracks right after the journey starts... which normally should be fine for all AI-controlled trains at the start of the Journey, Scenario, Service, etc. Except... there’s a red signal literally right around the left-hand corner from this train after exiting the tunnel north of 22nd St.- that it then doesn’t have enough time to stop for. And once this AI train violates one of its own rules- running a red signal (which the AI engine probably never expects to see by one of its own locos)- the train is simply stopped and left in place. Sort of like an error condition the AI never expects to see, and therefor can’t handle.

I also verified this signal is normally red for this train on approach, by checking out the separate journey they have for this Special Train traveling from SJ to SF. In this journey, the train stops for a few seconds at this red signal, then the signal turns yellow and the train then proceeds to the end of the line at 4th and King St. Again, some speculation here... but this might explain why this is happening. So far this seems to affect both Xbox and PS4... suspect PC as well, but someone will have to verify that. Feedback welcome on all of this.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Stockton Rails

...found this video of the issue on youtube last night. It doesn’t show the start of the journey unfortunately, but it does show the location of the Special Train within 30s after the journey starts.

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I checked this out (PS4) and saw the same results. From the video above this appears to have been a problem for some time, probably since the release of the switcher DLC. One thing the automatic running of the full timetable that DTG do to test for track blockages can’t do is find the errors that present themselves due to the starting positions of AI trains when a player starts a particular service, so some slip through. This service could be completed before the switcher DLC was released, introducing the special train that causes the blockage in this instance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stockton Rails

Thanks for checking this out on your system- and I agree, this was likely a problem as soon as the switcher dlc was rolled out. I don’t have any confirmation yet that this issue affects PCs, but I’m sure it would. I’ll probably submit a ticket for this issue in the next day or so and see what support says about it- whether or not they already have a bug filed for it, etc... once I hear back from them, I’ll update this thread.

I was also thinking of how they could possibly guard against this issue moving forward- and one way would be to modify the game AI so that it doesn’t start moving any AI trains down the track at journey/service start-up *if* there’s a red signal anywhere close to the train... instead, these trains would just sit and wait until the signal changes. Not sure if they actually have a way to calculate the distance between signals and AI trains in the sim at journey/service startup... but if they do, this might be a decent way to prevent this.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stockton Rails

...just opened up a ticket on this issue. I put some good info in there, incl the link to the youtube video above... I’ll keep you guys posted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. friskey.marcedes

friskey.marcedes Active Member

11. friskey.marcedes

friskey.marcedes Active Member

Glad to see this aired again as its really annoying if you spend an hour having to wait at a red signal. Its the only one mission for me to complete all of the Baby Bullet missions. Probably no chance of a fix...not to mention Miles Platting...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stockton Rails

I already thought about the (slim) chances we probably have of getting any TSW 2020 issues like this fixed, but at least I’ve made them aware of the it and that it likely affects all platforms. We can only hope... the ball’s in their court now.

I’ve also been wondering how many of the issues that exist in our current routes and DLC will still exist once these routes are brought over to TSW 2. If any of these more serious issues transfer over (where you can't even complete a journey, etc), I would think we have at least some leverage to get these fixed since they now operate under TSW 2. I for one plan on pushing for that... otherwise they’re just migrating code issues from one generation of the game to another, and that’s just not right.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Stockton Rails

...I heard back from DTG support today on the ticket I opened on this issue- their full response is listed below. Like I said, the ball’s in their court as far as resolving this... if this is still an issue with this route running under TSW 2, I’ll be contacting them again. I suggest anyone else impacted by this do the same.

“Thank you for contacting us regarding an issue with Train Sim World.

Please accept our apologies if your enjoyment of the game has been adversely affected by this issue and thank you for providing additional insight and resources relating to the issue.“ Unfortunately there issue is known issue with the 143 Service. This has been documented and flagged for further investigation by the development team but at this time we do not have any further updates.

Please monitor our official community channels for updates to this product:

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/news

This concludes our support on this matter and ticket will now be closed. Please feel free to contact us again if you need any help with any other matter.”

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Stockton Rails

• Like Like x 1
  15. grahamsarea18

grahamsarea18 Member

I have experienced this same situation many times on peninsula corridor with all of the locos. It's a timing/scheduling glitch. That dtg normally sends out a patch update and everything is fine. But after the release of tsw2 any glitches that remain on tsw 2020 will be there pirminatly. Because dtg already said they will no longer send out updates for tsw2020. Only the add-ons that are currently being played on tsw 2 as part of the preserved collection will be updated.

16. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

Thank you for the replies I did a test of my own as it was the special train blocking the line and the special train came with the switcher dlc I thought uninstalling the switcher dlc to remove the special train anen trying the service and it actually worked so this is a temporary solution to finish this particular journey uninstall the switcher dlc complete the journey then reinstall the switcher dlc not perfect but atleast I no. Longer have an unfinished service on my journey

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is service 143 the only service affected by this bug? Typically it is one of the services needed to complete Chapter 2 of the Baby Bullet journey in TSW 2. So one to be avoided for the time being? Are they looking to fix this?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stockton Rails

This is still the only service affected by this bug as far as I know... this bug is related to the double-length ‘Special Train’ which only appears in a limited number of services anyway (maybe only two) with the Caltrain dlc installed.

DTG support closed this ticket right away since they were already aware of the issue... I have no idea if they will ever resolve this at this point, especially since they’ve stated they will no longer address any issues in any of the legacy TSW 2020 routes. The Caltrain switcher dlc is still fairly new... DTG sure didn’t support this for very long- like 6 months, which seems pretty lame to me.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

They are resolving Cement Circle and Miles Platting, so fingers crossed.

20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Does anyone know if this is fixed in TSW 2?

21. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

I've been wondering myself. I opened a bug ticket for this issue in TSW2020, but I don't have it in me to potentially flush away over an hour to end-up jammed at the end.

It's a shame, as it's included as a service in one of the journeys - meaning you ultimately cannot complete the chapter. Same with with 2C09 on ECW.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

There is a train in the last tunnel when starting the service. Whether this moves later on, I don’t know, but an hour is too long to waste as you say.