Great Western Express Extension / Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by joshpratchett, Sep 3, 2020.

1. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Well they did upgrade CSX Heavy Haul (Sand Patch Grade) and added more services to that route so they could upgrade Great Western Express or at least add some content

• Like Like x 1
  2. jack.a.varley04

jack.a.varley04 Well-Known Member

There is literally a new team dedicated to do that job mate

3. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Yes but I am not sure if upgrading the whole route is what they are there to do. Considering that there have been more upgrades to the route since the 800s have been added.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

By upgrade I mean in adding new features not to research the whole route again (electrification is not the only thing that's changed) and add another 2 models. [And what are we doing with the existing 166?](That has never been done before!) That's what I call a waste of money, workforce and time. My point is everytime a new loco is coming dtg should update?, like 769 are they updating again then? So that's Not working in my opinion. Adam is only for adding "features" if the amount of time is given. Not adding 2 New models plus a New platform at ealing broadway, [going on for ages] etc...

• Like Like x 1
  5. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

Some people just keep saying things but actually don't know the effort that it costs, first of all it probably is too long until Bristol unless you provide a free 80 mile route research, if you want a 800 you can apply for a job at Dtg if you have any experience in this case... and actually do it, not just >All I say...<
    All I say I want company X to do Y and dumping Y for Z. First thinking then writing...

6. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

We excluding Me. My opinion is featured on multiple older forum posts so I am not going to repeat continuously. Btw I'm back again. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. tallboy7648

First of all it's called making a suggestion. To say if you want a class 800 then go work for dtg is just ridiculous. You shouldn't be saying that. This is part of the suggestions fourm for a reason

• Like Like x 1
  8. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

This forum title says extension and people have voted for an extension does it mean it will happen NO.
    Also no need for sarcasm we all here for improvements and to give feedback, suggestions and some people want Class 800 and some don't, do I go around in the forums saying if you want this go apply for dtg what attitude is that.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. johnjohn190690

Good to see that your back. Haven't looked through the older forums, just giving my opinion I've noticed Class 800 isn't much loved but for me I would love to see it appear in TSW2.

10. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

Great, now we're talking. Much better instead of We, that triggered me the most.

11. johnjohn190690

It triggered you, we all want to see different things brought into TSW2 these forums help we don't all agree on everything and it's why I like to see us as a community engaging.

• Like Like x 2
  12. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Along with my already suggested Class 180 and branch lines, I really like the idea of 57's, 59's & 70's. This would be fantastic. Some of the older DLC could be used on waste trains from Brentford and fuel trains to Colnbrook. I like the new Hitachi 800's, 387's and the HEx and the Crossrail stuff but this version of the route was set in 2015 and they weren't there then.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rail Runner

I guess so, but it was a route that wasn’t on Console, so I guess that it was an opportunity for them to do it so that it would be new to consoles and just an upgrade for PC.
    I don’t think it would be worth while upgrading it all... I would just say make a new route from Reading to Bristol or Bristol to Exeter, or even make Cornwall from Penzance to Plymouth, then you can get a new route, with new DLC, that can interest those who wouldn’t want to re-buy the GWE.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rail Runner

I totally agree.

15. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Exactly my thinking. And next time DTG makes a GWR route they should include branch lines. Would be nice to get some coastal stuff as well, when going more to the west, as there are big opportunities.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rail Runner

To be honest, a Class 387 is very similar, it isn’t the same, but is very similar to the Class 375/377 so when it arrives with the HS1, we could edit the livery to make it into a GWR Class 387
    Thats why I believe Cornwall to be the beat option:
    Quite a few Branchlines, plenty of freight which can also be increased by DTG, a mix of new and old with X Country HST and Castle sets, Class 150, Class 57, Class 66, Class 70, Class 800 and a vast range of movement like the Class 57, Mk3 hauled services from Par to Exeter (in the summers) which could be added if it was created. It has the sleeper services, it has Railtours quite frequently, amazing landscapes and features. The list goes on and on and on.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tallboy7648

I think it would be a better idea to just rebuild the route. I mean heck if they were to add the class 800s and 387s they would have to rebuild it anyway because old oak common depot is gone and newer parts have gone into the line in real life. At least make it go to Bristol Temple Meads station because that's where a lot of the GWR High Speed services seem to terminate. Also they could even add TFL Rail from London Paddington to Reading since they have the TFL license.

• Like Like x 2
  18. luis5700

luis5700 New Member

I personally would rather have Great Western Express completely rebuilt so we could get the Class 800/802 and 387. I would also like a extension to at least Bristol Temple Meads station

• Like Like x 1
  19. joshpratchett

joshpratchett Member

Thoughts on a 'Great Western Express 2020' route download? Meaning current GWE route is preserved as is, and if people want an 'updated/extended' version with new locos and electrification etc they can purchase the new version of the route?

• Like Like x 1
  20. tallboy7648

I wouldn't mind paying for a brand new upgraded/longer version of Great Western Express. We would have to anyways. I think it should get a upgrade along with new dlc

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rail Runner

Don’t get me wrong, I would still love to see an updated GWE, but I still am hoping for the Cornish Mainline as a route, or Bristol to Exeter.

• Like Like x 2
  22. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

For me i keep it short.
    Extension Yes totally
    More Features Yes
    2020 No
    So before putting in the effort for the same route they should work on another GWR route.

• Like Like x 1
  23. tallboy7648

I've seen vids of the Cornish Mainline and it looks so nice

• Like Like x 3
  24. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

Need a Pacer for the Cornish Mainline if it eventually comes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Rail Runner

Not sure if they have Pacers on the Cornish Mainline, but Class 150s are frequent.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Rail Runner

Amazing route, has decent gradients, amazing DLC opportunities, plenty mix of Passenger, Freight and Railtours/Specials (for example, Class 57 Sleepers and MK3 Services from Par to Exeter).
    Would mean that you have both loco hauled services and Unit services such as Class 150 services and Class 800 services mixed with the HST sets.

• Like Like x 2
  27. tallboy7648

This sounds cool. DTG could take advantage of this idea

• Like Like x 1
  28. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

When GWE comes to preserved collection will we be expected to pay for it?

29. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

If you own it no

30. Trainmania100

Technically I do own it ( on Xbox) but I've got TSW2 on PS4 :lol:

31. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

This would be incredible. The route would be so much better if extended in distance, had its branches added along with some rolling stock DLC. It was a great start but so far with no improvement. Living right by the line, I personally know that there is more that could be done with it, just needs that bit of tlc.

• Like Like x 1
  32. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Personally I think it’d be better if they redid the route from scratch for a post electrification version.

There’s far too many things to change in GWE for the current 2020 era including track layouts, signalling, stations, electrification along with many other things.

GWE is marketed as being in 2015/2016 era with HSTs and pre-electrification so it will remain untouched.

I’d like it to go further than Reading. Perhaps to Oxford and/or Swindon. Along with the Thames Valley branches.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  33. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

Im thinking an extension to Bristol.

34. Trainmania100

Would be nice to get some decent length routes in the game. An extension to Bristol would be nice, 2 hours driving fine by me I've been doing sand patch all week

35. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Passenger Info Screens and destinations on the Class 166 now be added to GWE also station announcements?

• Like Like x 1
  36. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

Better be!! This will complete the GWE. Having all stations with passenger info screens, would like to see more trains on the track and a busy Paddington station. Obviously we would all love an extension!

• Like Like x 1
  37. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Yes thanks to Easilyconfused for the thread link, but this would be great for immersion; an extension too beyond Reading would be better also de-training of passengers at the last stop. This is really silly to still have this bug

38. tallboy7648

If you own it then no

39. tallboy7648

A extension should come to be honest. I'm curious as to why we got no new content

• Like Like x 1
  40. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

In an engine that can do it, they just need to allow time to explore the limits of Unreal, which I don’t think the senior members of Dovetail are allowing for, we keep blaming the devs but I am certain the devs want the best but it’s the ones above them, probably wanting to cash in every month rather than lets let the creatives do their work, give them time to build a route of length.

or change their building practices. Lay the track, map the stations then think right, scenario possibilities, enable more cold starts on services, give time before a scenario starts!! Not half set up a train and run, it’s all a bit too rush rush with DTG

• Like Like x 1
  41. Rail Runner

To be honest, having seen some of the struggles that they have had converting with some Bugs coming up, I would like to see it just preserved, and then a whole new GWR route added instead of them them making an extension, and then finding a load of bugs with it. It seems that the TSW2 routes are normally pretty smooth in comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  42. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This. Old routes seem to generally have more bugs and are inferior to newer routes. Be it lighting, features or just the way they have built it.

GWE is very buggy when it comes to signalling, safety systems and its routings. I’d rather they start from scratch as opposed to building on a current route.

• Like Like x 1
  43. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

I would have a whole new GWR DLC with as follows

London Paddington to Cardiff Central, Bristol Temple Meads & Swansea with Class 800

London Paddington to Exeter St Davids,Plymouth & Penzance with Class 802

London Paddington to Didcot &Newberry with Class 387

Reading to Newbury with Class 387

West Ealing to Greenford with Class 165

Didcot Parkway to Oxford and Banbury with Class 165

Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour with Class 150,158,165 & 166

Exeter St Davids to Penzance with Class 158 & 255

Exmouth to Paignton with Class 143 & 150

Par to Newquay with Class 150

(All routes above to be played in full with the amount of hours it takes from start to finish)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  44. Rail Runner

To be honest, I would either make London to Bristol, Bristol to Exeter, or Plymouth to Penzance. It’s pointless just terminating at Reading at the moment, as the HSTs don’t stop between Reading and Paddington, if Cornwall was added, far more stations would be used by services like the HSTs or 800s. Same if it went to Bristol.
    More freight would be required as well. A lot frequently go via Didcot meaning that there was an actual place to swap drivers / start services which is the same at Plymouth with freight, St Blazey and Par have the facilities to terminate and start freight services...
    And this works too at Exeter.

It would just make more sense to just make a new GWR Route. There is some quite serious ‘Want’, if you will, for the Cornish Mainline, as seen by the common thread that pops up every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a Cornish branch lines DLC, incorporating the St Ives, Falmouth, Newquay and Looe branches with the mainline from Penzance connecting them. Personally, I'd find this much more interesting than a long mainline stretch as it'd offer lots of different driving experiences.

• Like Like x 2
  46. tallboy7648

I think especially for new routes the higher ups need to give the devs more time to release new products because constantly there is always a issue especially with some of the preserved collection routes coming to tsw2. They need to properly test their Content. They need to stop focusing on rushing things to make a profit and take their time releasing things. I rather wait for a good quality product instead of a rushed cash grab

• Like Like x 2
  47. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

I'm for extension to Oxford on GWE !

48. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This needs to be done but the thing with Old Oak Common Depot the HST Tutorial level is that they closed it down last month provided one of the Dovetail Games employees had the latest rail Express April 2021 Edition. Therefore if they want to do it it has to be set in 2020 so that Old Oak Common can be retained as a tutorial level for Class 80x Electro-Diesel Trains. While the Class 387 tutorial level takes place on the Great Western Main Line itself between maidenhead and Slough Railway stations. Actually includes stopping and accelerating from a commuter station. Furthermore timetable mode needs to reflect some Services starting at reading traction maintenance Depot one of those being 05:29 Reading to Twyford service.

49. Me with a train

Me with a train Active Member

Perhaps this so called ‘train sim world 2 update’ in the roadmaps will bring us route extensions.... or even steam............