Low Poly/demanding/static Ai

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rare_common_sense, Sep 21, 2020.

1. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Okay. So I am not sure if I have done this post on here before, but I do know I have spoken on the matter previously at some point in time.

I know there are many in the community that may not agree, simply for strict prototypical reasons. But I feel that aside from some of the demanding routes and select locos that cause fps issues. I feel it would be in best practice for DTG and their 3rd party counterparts to start utilizing AI that isn't as demanding as the player train, which can be both good for movement and placement of trains in yards along the routes

I feel it would do such wonders for scenarios for busy routes. Take into account the recent release of WCML south, which I'm sure has a lot of traffic flowing through it. This would also be beneficial for the majority, if not the entirety of the TS catalog. Mainly for routes that host heavy traffic flow. As well as allowing for better immersion for those who may not have the top-tier setups.

2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

A few North American Routes already do this, The Chicago Racetrack uses low poly Metra equipment for yards, especially near Union Station, but not for actual moving trains. they also use low poly Amtrak Equipment to represent any Amtrak trains on the route as well.
    Railworks64 2020-09-20 17-39-49-92.jpg

The Montana Hi Line also uses low poly cars to fill out the railyards.
    Railworks64 2020-09-20 17-45-58-76.jpg

It would be nice if more developers did this as well though.....

• Like Like x 2
  3. rare_common_sense

Blacknred81 Yes.. that is true. I forgot to mention that. That was one of the reasons why I started this post.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mike370

mike370 Active Member

3DZug are another high-end 3rd party developer that have produced various large collection rolling stock packs, with wide choice of lower LOD versions of all items for AI use. In fact many of their more recent (the last few years) DLC, both locos and coaches/wagons come with three different resolution settings (high, medium, low) for installation depending on intended use. There are also a number of very good freeware creators in the German TS community that have produced lower quality textured versions of popular locos for AI use - and they are very good, pefectly adequate for intended use.

And I'm also going to have to go through my extensive freeware addons collection, to remind my self of other such asset packs - I can't give you specific examples right now but I do remember there are quite a few decent such AI (use) only models available, I believe through UKTS, and some of the French/Spanish/Austrain TS communites - There are probably others out there!

So yes, a welcome precedent has already been set, especially for stationary rolling stock (coaches/wagons) to use parked and fill-up sidings/large stations - signficantly reducing hit on overall FPS & stutering. And to a lesser extent similar for locos & stock as AI trains. In my experience it tends to work really well, giving the intended game FPS performance boast, whilst allowing better visual interest value to scenarios.

I agree it would seem an obvious & smart thing for DTG work-on to help improve the game (actualy I'm really surprised they haven't done this more in TSW2 where they're also really struggling with performance, whenever areas become 'busy'). And would be great to see other mainstream 3rd party develpers follow the lead of those doing such work already.

It's easy for some newer players to forget (or not realise) that to some extent that was a core purpose of the historic kuju assets (i.e. the European & US Community Asset Packs) included as default in the early days of Railworks/Train Simulator. Their lower resolution texturing did allow for more generous use & positioning of stock throughout routes & scenarios. The old Kuju rolling stock is very rarely used by DTG now (I guess not considered good enough quality graphically) though JT frequently stilll make good use of it for some of their route scenarios. The old kuju packs definitely look dated now - but given the overall improved performance of the general game over the years (various tweaks to the core, including transition to 64 bit) , surely means it should be possible to create/provide an updated (compromise) half-way house LOD for general AI/stationary assets that would be able to be used as you've suggested.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. rare_common_sense

Yes, however, my thing is. I feel it should be standard practice, as DTG and a few 3rd parties have already done this out the gate with some of their offerings. I do know this was done for the NEC: New York-New Haven route. This is what I did forget to mention initially. And also should have stated that it should be standard practice.

I think it would be best for something like this to be done officially without the need to search for websites, and possibly download something that may potentially compromise their game and setups.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  7. mike370

mike370 Active Member

I think that's largely an unfounded fear. I've had the best part of tens years downloading/installing many hundreds of 'unofficial' addons from scores of different freeware sites - and can't recall a single time where my game has been comprised by such content. Sure, I admire your encouraging the upping the game for such products to be made available on STEAM. But when I see people so wary of 3rd party content (both payware & freeware), that's a great shame. The wider TS community appears to be a very safe one, frequently with far better quality control than you'll find with the game's official STEAM DLC. We don't want to unnecessarily put new players off exploring such alternative content - it's what helps keeping the TS gaming scene thriving. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately rare_common_sense seems to expect DTG to provide everything that is required in the game
    Never going to happen.

9. rare_common_sense

Yeah, you do have some valid points there. But there are certainly cases where installs have caused issues with the game. Althoughmost of the authors will put that as a disclaimer. If MSTS was any indication, is that a dedicated community can really do some wonders. Especially if the company behind it decides to abandon it. Now with the way digital content is distributed. They've found a way to monetize off of it and maintain their productfor as long as they're willing to support (or not).

Man, those days were much simpler, and I really enjoyed a lot of the content surrounding it. Some real good times.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have you looked on Railworks America for any Low Poly stock?