Just A List Of Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NW 1218, Sep 4, 2020.

1. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

This will all be for the US side of things:

1. Rework signaling system to understand the difference between absolute (must stop when signal is red) and permissive (can pass when red, usually without stopping) signals so that you don't have to stop at every single red signal everywhere.

2. Make the speed limits of certain signal aspects recognized by the game. Example: On the CSX, they use their derivative of NORAC speed signaling. You have Limited (45), Medium (30), and Slow (15) speed signals. Also, passing an Approach (Y, Y/R, Y/R/R) signal, the rule is freight trains exceeding 30mph must immediately reduce to 30mph. The biggest irritation I have with this is when running the Peninsula, you go by an Approach and can still run 79mph. Not how that works at all.

3. Some kind of way to either generically change the engine numbers in the scenarios already available with the game, or the creators shorten up the available number listings for the CSX locomotives. Since we've only been given the ex-Seaboard GP38-2s and SD40-2s having nose mounted headlights and bat-wing ditchlights, it would be more realistic (or prototypical) for these engines to only be numbered in the actual series in which they existed.

4. Some kind of a locomotive sound upgrade would be great for the engines involved with Sandpatch. Though I realize it's of no consequence to most people, starting with simply the horn would help. Though 99% of CSX's engines are equipped with Nathan K5LAs of some form, they do not just have a "generic" sound heard across all engine types. The CW44ACs sound completely different than the SD40s and GP38s due to different length of air piping, different solenoids, different acoustical shadowing of the horn itself, etc. The bell on most of the engines is way too loud for prototypical operation. The in-cab feature of an actual horn valve on the SD40-2 should be removed and replaced with a solenoid switch like the GP38s have on the box-car version of the engine since when the horns were moved from over the cab to behind the dynamic brake fans, the valves were exchanged for solenoids.

I understand the difference between a game and nit-picking...but if you're trying to recreate a "World" where one feels completely immersed by the game and railroad itself, it would behoove one's self to create the best experience that most closely matches what you'd really find out there. It also doesn't hurt that I run the darn things in real life.

So, DTG, if you'd like to talk about any of this, I'm open to providing any real-world knowledge you'd like to help enhance the game's real-world functionality. I could also provide new sound samplings and things of the sort if needed.

• Like Like x 8
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I completely agree with everything you just said. Especially about the horns. The horns to me are a big part of NA railroads. The signals too. When I play Peninsula Corridor, I obey the signals as they say, but since the game doesn't make me slow down, I end up late. Not cool.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

Running the Corridor, I've noticed that if the schedule is mirrored off of the real thing, if you slow down to 50 on a Limited, 40 on a Medium, and 40 on an approach, you can still get in on time. Sometimes, it's kind of hard to not be early since the acceleration rate of the F40 and MP36 are a little too high to be realistic. You're doing 30mph in 10 seconds from a full stop. It's a list of things that would greatly improve game play, in my mind, especially when you went to such great lengths to make operating a locomotive as realistic as possible. That goes from having to prime the fuel pump before you start it, to starting it, to all of the goofy headlight control intricacies.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JGRudnick

Oh, then maybe I'm not meant to be an engineer on a commuter railroad! ;)

5. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

I would personally like to see the horn lag fixed. With the Talent 2, I cannot blow the horns too fast or they will not work. On American trains, I would like more reverb and a generally higher volume (bells aren’t louder than horns), even if that means just subtracting the volume of other things when the horn is sounded. I would also like to see AI trains use their horns at crossings.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Thank you for taking the time to write up these suggestions, I can't promise any will get implemented, but I will pass on what you've said.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

Thanks a bunch. Again, I do this for a living, so I'm happy to provide any reference material or anything you guys need.

8. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

Programming the AI horn in is just too much work. That'll never happen. The bells need to be quieter outside. That's about it from what I hear. Just a simple volume correction.

9. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Physics and sound - are things that bring you closer to reality. My wishes:
    - the sound from the window must be external, different from the sound in the cockpit;
    - louder sounds of the clatter of wheels and rolling on rails, the roar of iron when driving;
    - more jerking, throwing, wobbling when moving;
    -night lighting.

10. jeremydunn8

I don’t know that it’s hard to program as they would just need a simple trigger for each horn blast, but I don’t think it’sa huge priority for them. Also, if you’ve ever heard an American train horn, you would know that they need to be louder with more reverb in the game. I see no issue with the bells, and I’ve been around quite a few trains. But I want to feel like I’m waking everyone up in the game.

One thing I mentioned that wasn’t addressed is that for most horns, you can’t activate them on and off too rapidly or they won’t work. There appears to be a sort of cool-down, if that makes sense, which will hopefully get fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

There is a train sim that has AI trains blowing the horns for crossings. So I think it is possible to do that.

12. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

I work for the railroad, so yes, I've spent some time around trains and hear American horns every day. I wouldn't say they need more reverb. The actual sound sample used for each of the CSX units needs to be from the actual model so it sounds proper. Then it won't be so odd sounding.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

The point is what's gained from spending all of the time defining areas where AI train's sound their horns, setting up the trains so they do it...If you're really into the "explore on foot" option of the game, okay, sure, but I'm playing the game to run trains, no watch them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

How about making the headlights on all the locomotives from Sand Patch grade shine farther down the track? It's difficult to see at night time and American trains have really bright lights to light up the ground far away.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jeremydunn8

I mean, fair enough, but it’s something that’s not too hard to implement which would add to the detail of the game. I will sometimes watch trains in the game, just to run in the background, and this would add to the realism of doing so.

16. JGRudnick

The new headlights are seriously bright. I saw a local regional rr train a couple months ago at night, and the train's headlight lit up everything in front of it for at least a hundred yards, almost like a parking lot at a mall!

17. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

How about an option to have a specific time to arrive at a destination like a station stop for the Scenario Planner?

18. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

I haven't even delved into the scenario planner.

As far as the headlights go, that needs to be toned down during daytime operations. In the daylight, when you're running down the mainline, the headlight doesn't illuminate anything. The way it's represented in the game, it blows out most trackside signage so badly, you can't even read it when you go by. Having actual ground illumination in the daytime is very odd to me. It's not realistic at all.

As far as night time operations, the headlights on a locomotive don't illuminate that far ahead of the train. Maybe 500ft...if that...ahead of the train.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  19. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

I do agree on the headlights they need to be toned down during the day since they wouldn't be brighter than the sunlight and they do washout signs making it difficult to read. Once the sun sets then maybe have them get brighter as it gets darker. Then nights aren't that dark anyways.

20. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

Why not have vehicles crossing the road crossings and have crossing signals shut off after a train passes rather than them always being down and have them not activate so early for slow parts and have them go up earlier after a train passes instead waiting so long after? I would love to see cars on the roads that cross the tracks. DTG can't time the crossings right for TS 2021 which I don't think it's hard to do and test the timing.

21. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Also AI trains using Horns when you are on foot and approaching you, and at Level Crossings. It’s so unrealistic especially in the UK, when you are walking around a yard, and a train just passes you without ‘Blowing Up’. It maybe stupid, but even if DTG were to add a button where you acknowledge the train, it could be implemented as a safety feature, as well as adding to the realism.
    Level Crossings and Foot Crossings where he Whistle Boards are present should mean that the AI Train sounds the horn. It just makes more logical sense, to me anyway.

22. oliverwest523

oliverwest523 New Member

AI using emengnery brake and whistle/horn to stop if never acknowledged & especially your in train way, another safely feature, Train/Tram horn/whistle and stop & go when its path is clear, Ai Trains in All TSW2 routes (TSW preserved route Too). Safely feature

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  23. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I think that the E-Brake could be quite tedious. I think that it should continue to blow the horn until you press the button. Maybe that would be better. Otherwise it could cause delays to services and mess up the timetable.

24. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

All I can really say about any of that is...one step at a time. The things I originally pointed out where things that to me, as an engineer, bother me running a simulator. I like the sim a lot. It's a very cool representation with awesome graphics. The functionality of what you can do is pretty wild. I'd much rather see prototypical operations implemented before I'm worried about whether or not the AI trains whistle for road crossings. The base model is already there with everything looking so realistic. The point now is make it act realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  25. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yeah I always understood that the HUD speed limit is simply the normal max track speed and if you want to drive realistically you have to ignore most of the HUD-related informations and hope the signalling and track side signs are accurate to real life...
    In fact I remember all these speed restrictions being in the Peninsula Corridor manual but not represented in the HUD speed limit.

Also the whole fact that after you pass a red signal you get a game over message is wrong, but at least it seems possible to pass some signals at danger if the real life procedures allow for it (implemented in german routes).

Anyway as it is it's a shame this game is not very realistic when it comes to real life operations and procedures or even physics to be honest...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  26. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

They built the sim to look nice and for the trains to move when you move the right levers and push the right buttons. Like you, I respond to the signals and run the proper speeds and all that jazz when I can.