There Should Be Ai Horns And Have Them Blow For Crossings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ScottN, Sep 20, 2020.

1. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

I think there should be a feature to have AI trains blow their horns at crossings.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

...or even just random horn blowings for that matter. Will add depth and reality.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mike370

mike370 Active Member

I agree with you both, it would be a really nice touch if possible. I'd also add in sounding of horn when AI trains meet the player train, particularly freight trains

It's such little extra touches that really add to the level of immersion, & would gently push TS20xx to that next (desired) level.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I think one of the games in the previous series (possibly as far back as Railworks) did used to get you using the horn (and even penalise for improper use of the horn) , so I guess the potential is there

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pookeyhead

I remember that... wasn't that long ago either.. It was TS2018 or so... I lost points in a career scenario for incorrect horn use. Not seen it since. Can't remember what scenario it was now.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'm often told off for improper use of the horn (stop sniggering at the back) but I don't recall ever losing points over it. Might've done without noticing of course.

8. Pookeyhead

Pretty damned sure I'm not imagining this LOL. Can anyone from DTG confirm?

9. Mobius12

Mobius12 New Member

Some of the class 465 scenarios on the Chatham mainline route had that, you would be penalized for not using the horn when passing the signs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

IIRC, B&LE scenarios would dock you 25 points for not blowing at a grade crossing. It didn’t have to be the proper long, long, short, long sequence; any horn use near the crossing would avoid the penalty.

• Like Like x 1
  11. darkknight1

darkknight1 New Member

It is possible. There are already some locomotives that have random horn usage added in their script

12. itstypicalrailfanner16

itstypicalrailfanner16 Active Member

I know this is probably an old threat, but this feature is way overdue. We need this feature. Sure, AI trains being present in almost every scenario are great, but what would really impress players is if they were able to blast their horns according to the situation. The only problem is that this is not only a lengthy process that can take a lot of time, but also a very difficult process since developing AI that can operate trains on their own and follow basic rules that exist in a scenario is not easy. Let me make it easier to understand:

If one wanted to improve the current AI for Train Simulator 20XX, they would have to alter the game's files that control the AIs' actions (that is, if such a folder exists).
    Then, new behaviors would have to be coded in the form of a script, into the game, or within the scenario editor. This is probably one of the most difficult parts since not everyone knows how to code or even what a script even is. I'm one of those freaking people. I don't even think my Autism and Asperger's Syndrome has anything to do with my unfamiliarity with coding and scripting, I figure it's just the fact the LOVE seems weird to me since letters, numbers, and special characters are being used to control everything. (This is usually how one can mess around with scenarios, by entering a script that can perform actions, behaviors, and events that couldn't just appear as options in the menus and scenario editor)
    And it doesn't stop there. One has to test the script and see if it works. And if it doesn't, then there are errors that you would have to check
    Such as relevant commands, strings, arguments, and other complicated LOVE I can't even understand even if God explained it to me a hundred times. The most I can do is alter a single digit or two digits in an already made script and that's about it. I even tried to take several items from large mods in the steam workshop for People Playground and turn them into separate mods, but I screwed up something in those mods I tried to recreate and alter. I can learn code for LOVE. Anyway:
    The script has to be remade over and over again for every update that somehow conflicts with it and breaks it or something within it. And that's just how I feel it should look like. I'm not sure if what I am actually saying is 100% correct or 100% has so much wrong written all over it.

The best examples of how AI Train Improvements Should work are as followed:

1. An AI Train detects an area where horn blasts and bell rings are needed and uses them according to the FRA guidelines, rules, laws and so on. At grade crossings, AI trains will use horn and bell patterns based on the route they are operating on. Before this part causes confusion, let me clarify. Now, we all know we love putting European rolling stock on American soil and doing the same with all other routes and countries, but the AI trains will only use horn patterns according to the route they're on. This, however, can be overridden by varying factors such as:
    -The Loco itself
    -The horn a locomotive has been scripted to use or came with (if a dlc loco or part of a dlc route)
    -The country the locomotive is from
    -The locomotives' horn was changed within the files, and it no longer uses its base horn
    -A command that prevents the loco from using its horn or a specific horn
    -The locomotive in AI control uses or has two usable horns
    2. An AI train is reversing; it must notify others that may be in its path.