Speeding On The Schnellfahrstrecke?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Alexandra, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

In the driver's cabin of the BR442 we drive in Schnellfahrstrecke Köln - Aachen there is a small sign limiting maximum permissible speed to 160 Km/h.

Since the 442 can easily exceed that, I wondered if anyone has noticed if there is any penalty for speeding. :o

2. m.poznan

m.poznan Member

By penalty if you mean less points no, but bear in mind if you try to use PZB you are limited to 165, over that it will trigger emergency brake!

• Like Like x 2
  3. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

If the track speed is higher than 160 no. But the Talent 2 doesn't go much faster, I don't think I ever made the 170km/h.
    Here comes the but, if you have PZB activated, you are going to get an emergency break the moment you exceed 160km/h.

• Like Like x 1
  4. m.poznan

m.poznan Member

Actually its 165 i believe for the PZB, at least thats what happened to me, forgot to set the tempomat :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

If you're concerned about Action Points then yes, you'll be 'penalized' (earning less points, but points will never be deducted). If youre driving with PZB enabled, then yes, it does limit you to 165 kmh, with a warning coming up just prior to that. You have to slow down back to 160 kmh, else there will be an emergency break application.
    Its the whole reason why LZB even exists in the first place. Its an extension of PZB, but since it would be hard for the driver to spot signals at 160 kmh+, you'll have in cab signaling above those speeds. I could be wrong, but I dont think the BR 442 has in-cab signaling, thus, why its limited. It could be its actual service top-speed too.

6. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

The table inside, and sometimes also outside, the cab reporting the max designed speed (designed by the constructor).
    The BR 406 DB ICE 3M along the Köln-Aachen route (over the LZB sector Köln-Düren) the max permitted speed is "only" of 250km/h. While for example along the Köln-Frankfurt (always over the LZB sector) the max permitted speed is 300km/h (maybe today or in next future also 320km/h). While the max designed speed for the ICE 3M is 330km/h: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICE_3

Now, in theory the 442 DB, where allowed, should travel at max 160km/h although in the high-speed sector between Köln and Düren (always under PZB) you could max out up to 165.0 because at 165.1 according to the PZB you would already be overspeed.
    Translated in practice, or correct conduct, reach the 160km/h and switch On the Tempomat, cause max designed speed for the 442 DB is 160km/h. Tempomat switch Off automatically as you move the throttle on zero/idle position.

By the screens you can see some example of max designed speed tables inside and outside the cab on ICE 3M and BR Class 66 (this one in mph, obviously).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1