Talent 2 Braking

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by thomastl59374, Sep 23, 2020.

1. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

What distance in miles is a good distance to start breaking if I'm at 103 mph. I'm starting to get sick of over shooting and have realised that I must apply more breaks than 5% at a mile.

2. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

There seems to be (I’m new) little or no punishment for being ‘late’ so 103mph I would aim to be at maybe 80mph @2miles away, 50 @1mile away etc.

Pretty sure a professional driver knows exactly when to touch the brakes to come to a compete stop on a dime.

• Like Like x 1
  3. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Well you do get fewer points for passenger loads if you are late, which could impact a gold medal (though these aren't on this route yet).

I don't know what the official rules are but I try to ensure I get into a station at no more than 50km on German routes. So generally apply some moderate braking around 1.5km away if going at maximum speed and then ease off depending on the weather conditions. It's trickier when the stop isn't right at the end of the platform.

I use PZB so it'll often force me under 85km for some station approaches.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to re-watch the PZB LZB stream and start using it to keep me occupied at high speed

5. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

In german rules (like italy) you need to approach a station at: 60kmh at the start of the passengers banking if the the banking is long (like essen station on HRR dlc) and 40kmh with short banking passengers area. Keep in mind that you need to continue the brake. The perfect one is to get 30kmh as soon as you see the station so you can slow down until the stop. Depends of your time. However the talent 2 is a very light train so you can completely stop it in under 500m. The perfect brake force is up to 50 or 60% depends of your speed. If you run with the pzb it will help you a bit if there will be a switch but normally there are no info to know if therr is a station or not. In real life we use the route miles table at the right side (44.2 - 45.8 - 25.2 ecc) to know where we are at the moment. The problem is that in real life we have the train time table so we know everything about the journey. Station, speed limits, switches. However a good idea is to start to break at 1mile or 1.5km before the station, depending of your train. Just experience. Continue to play and you will see that every time will be better. Take in mind that until 2 minutes it is not calculate as aa delay in real life so keep your time. If you need more help just write me

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't know that thanks for sharing, turns out I'm usually a bit too aggressive...in SKA you would need max brakes anyway to stay in the expected PZB braking curve (85kph within 33s), but I remember in the 160kph Rapid Transit sections I used to brake 1km/900m out before the station using step 5 or 6 brakes in the 182+DoSto (about 50-65% braking force) or 1.5/1km out with 80% to Max Brakes on the Talent... on SKA you are restricted by PZB for all but 1 stop when coming at full speed anyway

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  7. delucadomenico2009

On SKA you need to apply up to 6/7 brake force on talent 2 as soon as you see the flashing green light with the new speed limit. It is possible to stay under the pzb restriction, than you can use a little brake to stop the train. If you have a locomotive (not a EMU) the correct ones is step 4 of the train brake if you are at 160km. Step 3 if you are at 130/140. 2/1B if you at 100 or below. Depending from distance. However is better to start brakes ~1,3 km before the station. 1.5 or more if you are at 160

• Like Like x 1
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yeah that should be feasible, I'll try to make that my new standard, I do it from time to time but usually I just want to stay safe and use Max Brakes anyway... But I'll try to not exceed 70/80% brake application.

I figured I had to use step 4 (maybe 5), as it's the one that more closely matches with the 1.5km out with 50% braking force you wrote earlier. But thanks for going the extra mile and being this specific, I'll do my best to follow these rules until they become my new "standard".

Again, thank you very much for answering and giving us specific information, I had no idea about all this.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  9. delucadomenico2009

To be more specific. If you see a stop signal (yellow on distant) apply a great force immediatly to take the train as soon as possible at the sefety speed (40kmh - 60 for passengers but it need to be at 40 250m before the main signal) than reduce it. For a stop (station/yard) makes a slow force fist to compact the train than increase a bit while you are arriving at the station release it if you are at 40 kmh (or 1A to continue to brake a bit) than apply up to 3/4 when you want to stop it. Just a moment before the train stop take the brakes down to 1A to reduce the stress of the train (passengers confort), for freight same think just slow down and increase to to stop it

10. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yep, to prepare for the 500Hz activation, makes sense.

All of this is very interesting, I'm happy to say I got at least that part right, except for putting the brakes to 1A just before stopping, I've always done it in the 377 on ECW (where you go to step 1) because it was recommended in the manual but never done in on any other train, I'll keep that in mind. Again, thank very much

11. delucadomenico2009

Not just for it. Expetially on heavy trains takes a sefety speed soon means that the main signal has more time to change status because you are moving slowly but not too slowly. The most frustating thing is when you are near the main signal (red) and the 500 magnet is active, than you need to slow down until 25 and continue to reduce until a stop near signal. Now, if you are stopping the train and the signal change to green or yellow, the heavy of the train will stop it and to make it start moving again could takes up to 20 seconds. So the key things is keep the train moving. For this reason if you are at 80 and you see a distant yellow (main red) start brakes immediatly, if you are lucky the distant will change status before you pass it, so you can apply power again and you don't need to continue to go at 40 until you see the main signal (~750m)

• Like Like x 1