West Somerset Railway Consist Ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rob39, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Class 33 pulling mixed freight. We have some of that available in TSW? How about a 12t van consist option.
    D6575-11-10-14-BL-MD-CHURCHLANDS-AS.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

Unfortunately, we cannot do formations that mix DLCs together that aren't already setup to be together. This was the issue with the East Coastway Railtour formation that had to be removed.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

What about making it that these consists can be made, as in setting them up so that they can? Is that completely out of the question with the way the DLC system works? I know this may be a core team question but are new locos and rolling stock being made more compatible so that there is more scope for mixing items across DLCs? After all, a wagon with vacuum brakes should be able to work with a loco that has vacuum brakes regardless of what DLC they were released in, if you make them compatible in the game. Feel free to go into massive detail in answering this, if you have the time!

4. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Couldn’t the Class 40 from NTP run on the WSR with freight? Means you could get some freight action on there.

5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That would involve mixing DLC’s which Adam said can’t be done. At least not yet or anything he wants to commit too.

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just a question on back of this TrainSim-Adam, if DLC cannot be mixed, how does off the rails work when putting trains on routes that should never see those trains e.g. the ICE 3M on Tees Valley.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I can only imagine its down to purchases. Cant put consists up like the recent ecw railtour, that a player may not own. This is an issue going forward. Now we have off the rails in tsw2 dtg could split dlc content from its attatched route, for future sale?

8. TrainSim-Adam

Hopefully, I can explain:

The Class 33 locomotive is designed to operate on the West Somerset Railway route. Thus, when making formations for the Scenario Designer, we can assume anyone with the Class 33, also has West Somerset Railway, and therefore we can provide train formations that see the Class 33 hauling rolling stock from that route.

The BR Heavy Freight Pack is designed to operate on the Northern Trans-Pennine route. Thus we can provide train formations for the Scenario Designer that has the Class 40 hauling rolling stock from the Northern Trans-Pennine route.

The Class 33 and the BR Heavy Freight Pack never cross paths and neither needs the other. We, therefore, cannot provide train formations that include stock from both packs.

With regard to 'Off the Rails' mode, each route is given a list of trains that are realistic to be running on that route. Thus, under normal operation, the Scenario Designer will only provide a list of appropriate trains. When switched on 'Off the Rails' mode ignores this 'realism' list and simply allows all trains available in the Scenario Designer to be chosen for the scenario, regardless of the route the scenario is for. It doesn't allow trains to be mixed within a formation, only that a 72stock tube train can operate alongside an AC4400 diesel locomotive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. It’s much appreciated.

10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thank you for your explanation. I can understand that it may be pretty hard to develop proper filtering based on what a user owns if you need to do that for an individual rail vehicle.

WSR is for me a number one candidate to do a lot with with my home brew scenarios. I would love to to create aDiesel day, or a day with some work trains etcetera. Would it be possible to be a bit generous for WSR with some maybe a bit fancy consist:

An NTP class 08 with 3 standard box vans.
    Some short mixed trains.
    How about the a class 31 with an engine at either end and 3 Mk1 coaches?

In the long run, I think a consist editor is a must have for the roadmap. Looking forward to that.

11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This is a pretty big limitation IMO, especially as our collections expand over time. I hope this will be worked around in future, so it'd open up more possibilities.

12. TrainSim-Adam

Purno This has been the case for the entire existence of the TrainSim franchise at Dovetail (from RailWorks in 2009, through to the present day), and will likely continue to be the case going forward. That is the required level of compatibility for DTG routes and trains.

A Formation Editor in TSW2 is a very good idea.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a fair comparison. In Train Simulator 20xx we had a consist editor, a quick drive mode to use these consists, and the ability to share user-created scenarios (which are of greater quantity, and in general also greater quality, compared to the DTG-created sceanriso that came with the DLC). Additionally, for good old Train Simulator DTG sold loco add-ons and even wagon add-ons (see Marketplace-section) that do not rely on any specific route add-on. Sure, you'd need specific routes or locos for the scenarios, but you could use any of such loco add-ons and wagon add-ons in a custom consists in quick drive or user-created scenarios.

That's something that TSW doesn't have. You cannot create your own consists, and you cannot use any train you want in timetable mode.

If the TSW Class 31 can be used on the West Somerset Railway, and uses the coaches from WSR, then why does the Class 31 *need* Tees Valley Line DLC (as the steam store page says)? That's one of those limitations that Train Simulator didn't have. I could buy any loco, couple it to any wagons, and use it on any route I had. I just wasn't able to play the scenarios, that's all.

TSW timetable mode is pretty nice, but it misses the flexibility that TS Quick Drive had. TSW scenario editor does offer a bit more flexibility than timetable mode, but TBH I'm not bothering creating scenarios if I'm not able to share them. I enjoy being able to share my work, and get satisfaction out of people enjoying it. I created several scenarios for Train Simulator and enjoy all the positive comments and reviews I got. That was my main motivation. TSW doesn't have that. Why would I spend time creating a scenario if there's only one person able to enjoy them?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  14. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Preserved liveries are a fantastic planned addition. We will only be able to unlock a fraction of its potential if we cant plan the routes and stock ourselves. Hope it gets on the roadmap in future.

15. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

It wouldnt. The 40 comes with freight on the ntp. By Mixing dlcs we mean ie a loco from GWE (a 66) pulling stock from another (TVL HEAs)

16. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

If anyone has been to WSR...the easiest train to drive there...is this one... :cool:

Can't say it goes well, but the slide at the back is fun... WSR.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Nice touch

• Like Like x 1