Country Steam Across The Swml And Beyond

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dom Whibley, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Dom Whibley

Dom Whibley Active Member

Below is my proposal for the introduction of steam into TSW 2. I have taken into consideration both practicality of development for Dovetail Games and what would be a popular addition to the game, including for people who may not be interested in this specific area. Please do give it an upvote if you like the idea as the more it is shown to be liked, the more attention it will draw. :)

So my proposal is the route between Woking and Winchester. This route would be set in the 1960s and allow for existing locos to be used and included locos to be used elsewhere.

So the route would join Winchester and Woking via both Basingstoke and Alton. This would involve a portion of the South Western Mainline as well as a country branch line involving what is now the Mid-Hants Railway, increasing interest for those wanting to see a popular heritage railway in game in its heyday as well as those wanting a mainline or longer route. Set in 1960s UK, many assets from the slightly more modern existing UK routes can be used.

The locos included with the route would be the unrebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific, the Ivatt class 2MT and the Hampshire Unit. I have thought each loco through as to why it would be wanted. The class 205 Hampshire Unit would allow those who aren't necessarily steam fans to also show an interest in the route. These units operated passenger services around the Alton area during this time. The Ivatt 2 tanks operated freight around Alton and would also add a loco which could in future be used for the IOW if the steam route was to later be added on prior to the introduction of steam to the game. It would also appeal to those who are more of an LMS fan or if they are not too keen on Southern region steam. The Bulleid would be a great addition as so many of these are preserved, meaning many people have had an experience with one of these in preservation. They are also incredibly popular locos.

The route could also incorporate the class 33, giving people more a reason to purchase this loco. During this time, there was also a small 1.5 mile branch for the RAE at Farnborough. This could quite easily be missed out, however, this being the work place of the Isle of Wight's 0-4-0 tank engine Invincible, who has even had a road in Farnborough named Invincible Road after her. This would mean that once again if the IOW was to be extended, there would be another loco that could be carried across either way to the other.

Thank you for reading my proposal, even if you don't appeal to the idea. Please do give it an upvote if you like the idea as the more it is shown to be liked, the more attention it will draw. :)

2. Dom Whibley

Dom Whibley Active Member

Just throwing a map in there upload_2020-9-30_12-31-40.png

3. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Maybe Mid Hants on its own would be good. Maybe just slightly too far for steam as it’s their first go?
    Still a good suggestion.
    I think we will be waiting a long while though.