Ge Genesis (p42dc) And Superliners To Run On Sand Patch Grade

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FD1003, Sep 30, 2020.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Sand patch grade seems a pretty cool route, it's a shame I haven't explored it fully because I do not like to drive the US Freights very much, the combination of slow speed, seemingly toy-like physics just kills it for me. So I would think it would be cool to have passenger services on various US routes, first of all of course Sand Patch Grade.

This shouldn't be too difficoult since Amtrak has a decently standardized rolling stock for its long-haul trains (if we ingore the new Chargers).

Also the Genesis was in MSTS and Railworks and it feels kinda wrong such a widespread and widely used loco is missing in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I like the idea but perhaps with its own route? On SPG only 2 (I think) trains run per day and only 2 services would be a shame. You could of course increase that number higher than realistic, but where would the train actually stop?
    There‘s only one station on SPG (the one in Cumberland). A „random“ stop at Rockwood would not be realistic at all.
    I think a route with more Amtrak traffic and more stations would be better suited. You could then have that route add services to SPG (like MSB adds services to HRR and SKA for example).

• Like Like x 3
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I think it would be possible to start and stop a service at a danger signal, it's just barely less realistic than ending it at a random station such as Finnentrop. I agree there are better routes for this, but it could be used almost anywhere really

• Like Like x 1
  4. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

“Toy physics?” Have you not played “fully fueled?”

• Like Like x 1
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Sorry "toy physics" is quite a bad way to describe it... but still it doesn't feel right, especially the camera sway...

I can't fully put my hands on why, but the physics feel very strange, it is noticeable on the havier german freights as well but with the US ones is unbearable. For example you get like random "kicks" forward or backwars for no reason... or like during the departure from the yard the tractive effor just goes up and down randomly... I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not but it is not an enjoyable experience and is very different from Railworks, no idea how Run8 (which is supposed to be more realistic) is

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Run8 is better in terms of physics, but the new SPG feels really solid and not so far from the competitor.
    TSW is better in terms of in-cab realism and overall immersion, because of graphics, but not only.
    Totally different games.

If You don't like US freight operations - TSW2 is enough to 'enjoy' those things ;)

PS I love both these games. The new SPG makes me wait with impatience and optimism for the upcoming US routes in TSW.
    Fun fact: The CSX Hanover Sub for TS2021 recently charmed me!
    I recommend it to someone who would like to love American heavy trains.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Oddly enough I don't mind US freights on Railworks but TSW is just killing all my interest.

http://www.twitch.tv/fd1003/v/756292345?sr=a&t=573s

Go to timestamp 9:28 this surely can't be realistic with the tractive effort just jumping from around like that... I genuinely thought the consist was braked...

8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Try to forget about the HUD. Without it, it's much better. 'MFD' data are close to OK most of the time :)

9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yeah but sadly the camera sway portrays the same state as the HUD just going back and forth...

I'm not saying I'm expecting the trains to behave like maglevs, I know there is a lot of resistance and friction on those huge trains, but sometimes it feels way over the top. Particularly at that service having two engines at the back, you would expect these issues to be less pronounced since the train is also being pushed from behind...

10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

As I mentioned, the new SPG is a step in the right direction. Still far from ideal!

The specificity of American freight railways is not for everyone. My story ranges from indifference to love. TSW omits some important aspects, and this simplification makes the love a little harder :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Eh... I don't know... TSW as a whole seemed like a step in the wrong direction for US freights, but that's my personal opinion

12. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That's called coupler slack. It happens irl.

• Like Like x 1
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

With empty wagons, it could be quite a bang :)

14. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes I'm aware of it, but is it really that prounced? It feels over exaggerated. Maybe it's just the camera sway that is over sensitive, also wouldn't it be less noticeable if you have to loco pushing the train from behind as that service had? but as I said I'm not too familiar with them so I might be wrong.