Isle Of Wight - Is The Price Right?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LucasLCC, Sep 30, 2020.

?
  1. It's too expensive

110 vote(s)
    53.9%
  2. It's just right

91 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It's too cheap

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Simple poll for a simple question. Genuinely intrigued if I'm in the minority or majority in thinking it's a little too pricey for me.

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m happy with the price.

Of course, I’d always prefer to pay less and I might be able to if I wait for a sale, but for me, I’ll be buying it on Day One for sure.

3. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

£20 for 8 miles, really?

Thanks DTG, you are saving me a fortune this summer.

• Like Like x 2
  4. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Where is it? I want it? Hand it over! :)

8 miles or 100 miles, $10 or $20 i don't really care.
    It's a new route and a new loco, new stuff..
    That counts for me and i'm very excited.

• Like Like x 3
  5. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I think it is a tad too steep but will pay it. At £25 I would not, as it is only 8 miles and unlike the train simulator route, they are not included the heritage line at all.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s not the length or the size, but what you do with it that counts in the long run.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Too early to say. It will depend on the content. Length is not the only factor.

• Like Like x 4
  8. LucasLCC

Realistically, what content can a 8 mile, passenger only, all stop service, actually provide? I can't imagine the scenarios have much potential either, as operationally it's probably one of the simplest lines in the UK.

• Like Like x 8
  9. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

I have to admit I'm slightly divided here. On one hand I can understand why it's priced as it is, simply because of the effort and work that goes into the route and loco. At the same time like LucasLCC has said, it's only a passenger all stop service that I can imagine, might get a bit boring quickly. But I suppose being given a 483 that can be used on the Bakerloo line (and probably on all other routes?) is nice too?... Now if you was to tell me that steam would be something implemented on this route in future life with the extension I don't think we'd be too divided on the cost. But hey, sales exist ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

You're exactly correct it is what you yourself get out of the route that counts.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

An 03 with some wagons would make this so much more interesting

• Like Like x 2
  12. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the IoW route, but in general I wait for routes and locos to go on sale, so I'm not that concerned about its regular price.

13. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Please post in English there is Google Translator available to use.

• Like Like x 2
  14. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

I just picked up Football Manager for 0€ in the epic store.
    THAT was a good invest ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

translates as: The money saved should be used to purchase longer routes, such as the United States

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. longo239

Definitely.

17. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Given that DTG charge £11~ for a loco dlc, the extra £9 isn't too bad for a route given the hard work that's gone in

• Like Like x 3
  18. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I will be giving this one a miss.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I did not yet see the price set. So all I would say now is speculation. For me if it is worth the money depends not so much on route length, but on what it has to offer. Things I judge:
    Loco variants
    Route length
    Yards
    Mix of passenger/freight services
    Type and variety of activities
    Usefulness for other routes
    Landscape
    Era in which the route is set.

For IoW am not convinced yet that is worth the price of a full route.

Some examples:
    RRO, MSB and RSN give far more value for money that RT
    WSR is a real beauty, which I really love even though it is short and has a very limited amount of services. (This route really needs the scenario planner).
    The best route is still Sandpatch, lots of features, variety and the last upgrade is amazing.
    TVL is better for me that NTP without the freight pack.

Without the heritage line, the short length and only one loco, it really needs some pleasant surprises.

• Like Like x 3
  20. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

The price was confirmed by rivet on their Twitter yesterday, so that is confirmed to be 19,99 pounds.

But your arguments make absolute sense. IOW seems to be missing out on alot of possibilities since there is just that one train and no freight. They need to pull a good one with the scenery to really sell this route!

21. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thanks, I don't use Twitter since a long time. To me it seems the upper limit. It may be I buy it despite the high price because I appreciate Rivet as a company as a valuable addition in this market.

22. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It's not a route I'm overly interested in, I wasn't going to buy it when I found out what it was and won't buy it upon release. Maybe once it's on sale I'll pick it up but for now i'm happy to hold out for routes I'm more interested in; St Pancras - Faversham & Marseille - Avignon.

• Like Like x 3
  23. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

As ever some know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

If it doesn't interest you fair enough, you probably wouldn't buy it anyway.

But try and think of the time and effort going into making this content, it isn't a five minute job. For me the value will be what I get out of it and what will probably a lot more than other things which would cost me £20.

• Like Like x 6
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It's fine

25. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

• Brand new train
    • Loads of custom assets
    • High level of detail and (from Tsx Rivet Games products) probably well optimised and documented
    I'm happy to pay £20...

I can understand that people need something to pick on to put a value to but 40 miles or 8 miles doesn't mean the 8 miles is worth LESS to the people who made it.

• Like Like x 9
  26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Exactly - this is not a mileage fee. Let's wait for the product.

27. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Yes route lenght here is obviously not the selling point. Neither is the inclusion of one train. So if everything else which relates to railroading simulation, sounds, features, remain the same than why even bother with this add on? It will get boring on day one. One journey and that's it. No replayability as it stands.

• Like Like x 2
  28. mclitke

I am absolutely on the same page with you on that. It is worth as much as you get out of it and a smuch you are willing to pay for it.
    My issue here is that you need to set it into relations with other similar products.
    The TSW DLCs are already on the high cost side, I know there goes alot into creating a route or a Loco but other companies charge less for arguably the same or more content and effort. Just think what whole games you could get for the same amount.
    Plus you can argue that IOW has less content than other routes, even WSR which has the same price tag, in terms of length, timetable and consists.
    Yes they have to pay more cuts, but still I feel it distorts the relations, so I think the criticism is not unfair.

Edit: just to make sure, I am still more on the "buy at release" side right now, but I just wanted to put some critical thinking out. Just because you are fine with something doesn't necessarily mean that it is without flaws :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  29. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I say with any DLC for TSW, wait for a livestream, videos and/or reviews before you purchase anything.

I can’t see there being an awful lot to do in this DLC, but I haven’t seen any gameplay yet.

• Like Like x 6
  30. mclitke

I will at least watch one stream beforehand. Actually I like the fact that the route is short, so I could fit that in where I don't have time to run a 50 minutes service.
    And if the details along the route are well done, that might be enough to win me over.

• Like Like x 3
  31. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

How do you value entertainment? If I don't count the cost of this computer, TSW 2 is my least expensive form of entertainment and Rivet hasn't disappointed me yet.

• Like Like x 5
  32. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE =“ Michael Newbury,文章:183801,成员:1624”]请以英文发布,其中有Google Translator可供使用。[/ QUOTE]

忘了用英语交流一段时间

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well sure feels a bit much for such a short route with only one rolling stock, but I'm still looking forward to it, as it was one of my favorite routes for Train Simulator. Hopefully it's really great quality to compensate. Though I will probably not buy on day 1, will wait for what the reviews say.

34. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I will wait until I can see some gameplay before I decide if the price is right or not.
    I played this route in TS many times, so it really has to be much better to be worth it for me (specially since it does not include the historic steam part of the line).

• Like Like x 3
  35. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I think it’s still a lovely route in TS Classic, that I still play and the section between Pier Head & Esplanade is beautiful in that, and it was one of the original pieces of DLC!

So looking forward to the effort in TSW2!

• Like Like x 2
  36. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Length of route seems to be the only thing that matters to some people. I’m going to buy IoW and drive it three times in a row, tripling its length and therefore its apparent value in one fell swoop. Can you do that? I hear you cry. Yes you can. Drive it more often and get your value for money that way and you might actually have more fun than driving a long, more expensive route less often. It’s the time you spend using the DLC that counts not the length of the route.

• Like Like x 7
  37. longo239

To be fair there isn't much more you can do other than drive to one end and then drive back again.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Which is ultimately the same with all routes in TSW. You go from A to B and back again.

• Like Like x 3
  39. longo239

8 miles at 30mph, 16 mins from end to end or you could slow down and drag it out a couple more minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you stop at some stations you could easily add several minutes. It’s going to be fun.

• Like Like x 1
  41. theorganist

Yes I think so too, however some aren't here for fun!

I am quite looking forward to walking the track bed too, that will probably take a couple of hours, good way to see the detail.

• Like Like x 5
  42. Class395

Class395 Active Member

I'm going to get it just for the simple fact that it will enable me to drive a 82 year old tube train

• Like Like x 8
  43. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

It makes me laugh how so many of you are all complaining about how much the IOW route is at £19.99, you moan because its 8 miles etc but you totally forget about the visuals etc and how well done they have been done by Rivet Games. Yes i know its been in TSx but like many people ive never played the route so im looking forward to it

• Like Like x 5
  44. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Lots of whiners. A movie ticket here in the States costs $10-$15 and lasts 2 hours of entertainment. Isle of Wight will cost what? $25. I expect it to out perform the movie ticket in terms of price to hours ratio. End of the day, we vote with our wallet. If you don't like the price, don't buy it at all, or wait for a sale. DTG does not owe you DLC at a certain dollar per mile ratio. You are not entitled to DLC.

Or, of course, you could always write the Queen and ask her to pretty please make the railway on the Isle of Wight longer so you'll get better value in your train game.

• Like Like x 7
  45. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Absurd right? Just like the darn flight simulators where all you do is take off and land again. And don't get me started on those truck sims and their pick up and deliver, pick up and deliver. What nonsense.

Bro, you've literally complained that a TRAIN GAME...is about going from one end of the route to the other...that's what trains do...

• Like Like x 9
  46. LucasLCC

The vast majority of posts on this thread have been constructive, with people giving reasons for why they do, or do not, think it represent value for money. Just because some people do not side with you, this does not make them whiners. Your sarcasm etc is not appreciated. This thread was created to see what people feel about the price of the route (good or bad), as opposed to other threads which are more directed at it being too expensive. Save your faux outrage for those threads please.

Comparing this sim to a movie ticket does not work, in the same way that comparing Euro Truck Sim does not work. As you've been so keen to point this out on other threads, I'd have expected you to not fall into the same trap.

The only true comparison we can make, is to compare this route against the other TSW routes. This route is short in length, with only one service pattern, one train and very limited variety. Some people will be happy with spending £19.99 on this, others won't. Personally I feel it offers less variety and play time when compared to West Somerset Railway, and as such I'd value it less.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. mclitke

I do not completely agree here, why can you not compare this to a movie ticket? I think you gave no reason to why, just said "you can't". It depends on what you want to get for that money and what you are actually getting, and if it is worth it to you.
    Like say I set myself a limit of 50€ a month on entertainment, whichever kind, can I not compare spending it on a video game to seeing a movie at the cinema?

Personally I like to think in relations, micro an macro. In comparison to other routes one can have a better feeling against comparing it to other things in life.
    I myself spent about 70€ last week for 3 brick wagons (basically Lego but by another company) and really like them. But I have no space left to properly display them and am too old to play with them, so right now they are kinda hidden away at home.
    Now comparing that to the route, with about 25€ cost, I feel better in spending that right now because I know I will use it alot, arguably more often than the Lego wagons. It is of course not the same but you can get your own sense of worth out of that comparison I feel.

• Like Like x 5
  48. theorganist

But it isn't any fairer comparison as some are deliberately not taking into consideration the time and effort going into making something and just looking at the length, they are not factoring in the fact there are three companies involved in making and hosting the route. It is easy to say it is worth £8.99 when you haven't actually got to produce it and sell it for £8.99, I bet if you actually explored the costs involved you would find it wasn't realistic to sell it at that much.

We all have totally different perspectives on what we want, it might have taken Rivit games longer to produce this from the research stage to finishing it off than it might take DTG with a lot more personnel to make the Kent High Speed route. .

It is all down to how much enjoyment/time spent that an individual will get out of it. £20 could be a Friday night out (pre-pandemic) infact that would be a cheap Friday which lasts a few hours, you might get a hundred hours out of this route. If you know you will have one run up and down on it and then never load it up again then obviously it would be silly to purchase it.

49. LucasLCC

I think you've misinterpreted my post. You (and I) can value your money however you like. If you feel that this represents better value for money than going to the cinema then that is entirely your prerogative.

The poster I quoted has been going around quashing any form of comparison based on it not being the same, which is exactly what I've done here. If we can't compare entertainment gained from Euro Truck Sim to Train Sim World, then why should a cinema (which needs a big building, security, cleaners etc) be a better comparison? Ironically, I think going to the cinema represents better value for money at the moment. With tickets at Vue being £4.99 each, I can view four films for the same price. I imagine six hours of film experience would be more than I'd get out of the IoW line personally.

That's why all along I've been stating that it's up to the individual to decide how much they value this route. I even stated that it was my personal opinion that it doesn't represent as good value for money as other routes. For me I've always valued this route at around £15. It's a route that I'd do on occasion, very similar to how the Bakerloo line only gets used on occasion. I'd much rather a route with variety, and would happily pay for that.

50. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

well atleast you get timetable services too