German Freight Services Max Speed.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by FD1003, Oct 1, 2020.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I have a question. What is the max speed for the german freight wagons? I took a look at some of them and they seem all limites to 120kph, and do you know a source to get that information?

Also, a bit of a suggestion,it would be very useful to add the train's max speed in the little prompt we get at the start of the trip... if it doesn't require much work or add these damn info on the damn manuals

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. Class395

Class395 Active Member

PZB has three modes:
    - O (Obere): Passenger trains with good acceleration and deceleration rates. Max Speed: 160km/h
    - M (Mittlere): Fast freight trains with average acceleration and deceleration rates. Max Speed: 120km/h
    - U (Untere): Slow freight trains with low acceleration and deceleration rates: Max Speed: 100km/h
    If you want to learn more about PZB and german signalling check out in depth guides from Matt or PTGRail on yt as they are complicated systems but are very rewarding if you learn how to operate them

[​IMG]

That being said, some locomotives have lower design speeds than the maximum PZB speed, usually you will find a plaque somewhere around the cab with the maximum speed this particular train can reach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Plus: "wagon modes", but this is some for hardcore stuff, often corresponds with train type because of total tonnage :D
    Happens that the M-Freight train sometimes contains V-Max 100 kph cars. Nuance!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2020
  4. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Wow I didn't even realise that was the case lol. A 114 page dossier about freight cars omg, the more u know

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

And some of the 'good ones' from v2020

Attached Files:

6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This is the PZB max speed, what if you are hauling 1 wagon that is limited to 100 kph? Each wagon type has its max speed, a BR182 in full LZB in the Köln Aachen is still restricted to 160 kph as the DoStos have a max speed of 160 kph. This is what I'm asking, the freight wagon's max speed, for the one I checked was 120 but I didn't look at all of them...

A plaque in the 182 itself might tell "max speed 200" but it's not the TRAIN max speed, that is determined by the piece of rolling stock with the lowest speed...

7. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

one of the most interesting threads (imo)
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/pzb-modes-for-freight-on-german-routes.27384/

8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

16015718767075641122449080240654.jpg
    This is completely unreleated to PZB.

If you managed to couple this freight wagon to a TGV Duplex even in the LGV it would still be limited to 120. The rolling stock with the lowest allowed speed determines the train's max speed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

Just reading this thread reminds me of what an interesting game(?), sim(?) this is. I tried the game by chance when it was on game pass and enjoyed it. So when I saw that TSW2 was coming out I treated myself to it.

Of course I told myself I won’t become an ‘old man’, and study all the manuals, and become a bit sad.
    That was three weeks ago.......

:):)

• Like Like x 2
  10. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Exactly, and wath is wrong in my link above?

11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Nothing, I remember closely following it when it was new I even took some notes. It's just not the piece on information I was asking which was simply if there was a list or if someone already worked out the max permitted speed for every german freight wagon type in the game, nothing to do with PZB, or BrH or braking performance.

The closest to that info was a this post: "This harmonizes nicely with the maximum permissible speed of such heavily loaded wagons - usually, probably max 100 kph"
    which was completely fine in that context but it's not really here.

I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining what I needed, so let me try to re-phrase:

To my knowdlege every piece of rolling stock has like a "nominal max speed" for example in some locomotives is indicated by a plaque in the cab and in freight wagons is usually written in the wagon itself. Since I didn't look at every type of wagon, is there a list where there is the max speed for each type of wagon in-game or has already figured it out or do you just use PZB max speed as train max speed? Or was it standardised for example at 120 km/h and I'm just unaware of it?

12. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Damn me for missing this little reply, that file is exactly what I was looking for thank you very much

• Like Like x 1
  13. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

My father works for Deutsche Bahn (not as a driver but inspects the stocks at the depot) and he always told me freight trains are only permitted to go 120 at maximum for safety reasons. Of course depending on the load it might be max 100 (they of course have to use PZB)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

Every wagon type has a maximum speed that it can run. Normally you can see it on the wagon, but for exemple every wagon has a classification, for exemple the wagon for containers has "Sgns" or "Sgnss". -s means 100kmh max speed and -ss means 120kmh max speed. Normally when a train is composed is used to use all wagons with a same max speed (if is possible) and all theese things are done in the depot or in the freight yards. Normally, before to start a journey we will get a table of the train that is just a recap that inform us about the max speed of the train that is called rank in italy, or Pzb mode for german

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

So, technically, is it possible to get BRH M train but with 100 kph prohibited wagon involved or such a train becomes U?

16. delucadomenico2009

No. All the train becames U type. For this reason is used to use all "M" or "U" wagons for a configuration if is possible. This is why today if you see a freight train many times it is formed by the same ty of wagon (all intermodal, al petrolum, all closed car, all car/truck transport ecc ecc)

• Like Like x 2
  17. delucadomenico2009

Thanks to you. However yes all wagons can run up to 120kmh (this is the service max speed, however they max real speed normally is 10 or 20 kmh more fpr stress test). Yes there are a lot of information that can be set in the pause menù like a train table in real life, like the breaking mass too, but honestly the max speed of the complete train could depend from a lot of variables. First the type of the loco for exemple the br 143 as a lower power instead the br 185 so around 700/800t of the train is better you set the pzb on U mode. The br 185 can arrive up to 1100/1200t before set the U type. But again it depends from the route and from the wagons, from the loco or locos ecc ecc. Exemple on MSB dlc when you run with a banking loco is used to run with the U type because you are in a "special" configuration.

• Like Like x 1
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I think, in TSW, Falns 183 from DB BR 155 DLC are max-100 kph sometimes :)
    PS That's why I asked delucadomenico200 about PZB in this context, because I think DTG set M for these trains, paradoxically. Nuance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2020
  19. delucadomenico2009

The Falns car as the name says can run at max 100kmh when is loaded. You can see on the wagon the marker S and 120 with 0.00t that means if the wagon is empty it can run at 120 kmh but with a full cargo 65.5t it must run at max 100kmh. The 2 "**" means that in spectial case (mixed freight) it can run at 120 kmh with a cargo too but max with a B2 rank (47.5t of weight)

• Helpful Helpful x 2