Idiots Guide To Fuelling Up On Sand Patch....brakes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 2, 2020.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Hi all

I’ve made it all the way to the summit, 2 miles out and the train has stalled. I cannot for love nor money get it moving.

I’ve followed the the set up guide in the manual and I’ve followed the post that was on here and neither seem to work. I have banking radio on, I have the loco 1 and 3 set to leads I believe and 2 and 4 to trail. The rear locos aren’t powering up and I can get the train to 0.2mph and then it spins every time .
    Is there an idiots guide to how to set each loco up sequentially front to back as I’m fed up of running a mile up and down trains or mucking with camera.

fed up engineer now

Thank you

DTG Protagonist is this covered in one of your live streams step by step?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

He is on holiday until Monday 12 October

3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

It's sad that one of the devs who created the models can't take the morning off to write a line by line instruction for settings.
    This could be easily tidied up by one of the community managers and posted on the website.
    Would save an awful lot of continuing complaints on the various forums.

If one of your flagship routes is still creating problems why not fix it and end the continuing frustrations.

4. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

chieflongshin I don't believe there is currently a stream offering a step by step guide, however we are looking into creating video tutorials as you aren't the only person experiencing difficulty.

Your frustrations are completely understandable, but please watch your language. I have edited your posts slightly to keep them appropriate.

5. chieflongshin

DTG Natster Ha fair play. Noted

Id be happy with an excel chart showing the train front to back and how each thing needs to be set.

Some sort of loco one you need to set switches, valves fuses to x.
    Loco 2 need to set as....
    Loco 3 etc
    Loco 4 etc.

The gen switches, cut off valves etc is perplexing as heck and I want to get to the summit

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In the steam forums there is a recent topic with a solution. I will include that solution in the Sandpatch Route Guide. Coming in a few weeks, probably.

7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

About proper DPU setup :) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o7zeIn-Nshe7_bzqkd7hQg2QrV0G9xNvBevPoxTunA8/edit
    PS The locomotive in the back must "help" :)

8. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I don't specifically remember which locomotives are used on that scenario. But the set up should generally be as follows:

Lead loco (1):
    • Engine Run, Control Switch, and Field Generator switches on the control stand must be set to ON
    • Reverser handle in and set to neutral, throttle set to idle
    • Brakes cut-in valve set to Freight, MU-2A switch to "Lead or Dead"
    • Headlights set to Controlling Unit Connected at Long Hood End
    • Banking Comm ON (the radio & HOTD switch must be turned on in the fuses panel)
    Trailing loco (2):
    • Engine Run, Control Switch, and Field Generator switches on the control stand must be set to OFF
    • Reverser handle out, throttle set to idle, automatic brake set to Handle Off
    • Brakes set to CUT OUT, MU-2A switch set to "Trail 6 or 26"
    • Headlights set to Single or Intermediate Unit
    Assistant loco (3):
    • Engine Run, Control Switch, and Field Generator switches on the control stand must be set to ON
    • Reverser handle in, set to neutral, throttle to idle, and auto brake set to Handle Off
    • Brakes set to CUT OUT, MU-2A switch set to Trail 6 or 26
    • Headlights set to Single or Intermediate Unit
    Trailing loco (4):
    • Engine Run, Control Switch, and Field Generator switches on the control stand must be set to OFF
    • Reverser handle out, throttle to idle, auto brake set to Handle Off
    • Brakes set to CUT OUT, MU-2A switch set to Trail 6 or 26
    • Headlights set to Controlled by Unit at Either End
    Banking Comm should ONLY be turned on in the lead locomotive (which you're driving). Once every other loco has been set up, you can put the reverser into forward and apply throttle. You can use the external camera and fly it back to the rear loco, and look through the window, to verify that your instructions for throttle are being replicated in the cab.

The AC44 differs slightly in that the brake cut-in/cut-out is set on the IFD, and there's a Distributed Power switch on the back wall that I believe needs to be turned on in the lead loco.

I would like to see two things changed in how this is handled in SPG. First, to have in-game tutorials on setting these up locos set up properly for distributed power: it's a necessity for getting a lot of these consists up to and over Sand Patch Summit, so it's important for new players to understand why their massive freight trains are barely moving so they don't get frustrated and quit. Secondly, it would be nice if locos were set up properly when spawning in on the scenarios, at the very least. Possibly the timetable, too, although I enjoy setting up the trailing loco: but it also doesn't make much sense if you're taking over from another crew and they didn't have it set up properly beforehand?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. chieflongshin

Thank you so much. It’s all powering up now but I think I’m stuck lol. Full revs and still won’t budge

BC reads 28
    MR 137
    ER 89
    Bp 0

Have I locked brakes?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

U have to be patient building tractive effort - notch 1... wait... 2... wait... 3... wait
    BC is a loco brake - set to released and bail off (hold until BC = 0)
    Plus: double-check valves settings

11. chieflongshin

I’ll go back and double check. I think it’s powering all four locos but just can’t get it making headway. 1.7% grade

12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is 100% possible if you set everything right :)
    Start low notch, perhaps max 3. Wait. Use sand. Good luck :)

13. chieflongshin

Proper stubbed here. Triple checked brakes along train

Attached Files:

14. chieflongshin

Am I missing something

Attached Files:

15. chieflongshin

Comm on

Attached Files:

16. chieflongshin

Notch 4 spins and makes way back down hill. notch 3 holds train.
    is there a notch 3.7?

17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

go 4 but with a sander
    or blend 3-4-3-4, gentle, with patience :)

you will sense it and it will move on
    if it accelerates to a few mph you can give +1 notch, but no too much
    and so on, but take your time, no rush

moving a heavy freight train up the hill is such a mini-game :D gl&hf

• Like Like x 1
  18. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

well you wanted a sim, you have a sim ......;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...have you verified your rear DPU units throttle up and down in sync with the lead pair of locos up front with this config? I’m pretty sure that loco 3 in your config should have the MU-2A valve set to ‘Lead or Dead’, not Trail 6 or 26. The front pair of locos is a std Lead-Trail MU pair, and so is the DPU pair in back... with the Banking Comm radio in the lead unit at the front of the train turned on and talking to the lead unit in the DPU pair in back.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

This makes sense to me. Sounds like the brakes on unit 3 are still engaged.

OP, i didn't see you mention what your lead unit is, but if it's the SD40-2 or GP38-2, looking at your EOTD readout (the two sets of red numbers on the radio above the banking comm button) can help in these siutations. IIRC, the leftmost number shows the acceleration of the end of the train relative to your loco, and the rightmost number shows the pressure in the brake pipe. The lower that number, the HIGHER the braking force, so if that number is increasing, the brakes are in the process of releasing, and vice versa. I've found that the number usually settles around 90 when fully released, and will drop to zero when fully applied.

It can take several minutes for the brakes to fully release, especially from full application on a very long train. With the steep gradient, any braking force is gonna keep you stuck.

My advice would be, once you've verified that your DPU setup is correct, is to put it in notch 2, fully release all brakes, and watch that #. If it keeps climbing steadily you're on your way, and you can SLOWLY increase throttle as it gets closer to 90, but you shouldn't rush it- if you get wheelslip reduce power a notch at a time until it stops.

If it stops at, say, 65, you've still got brakes applied somewhere. If it fully releases and you still can't get moving, it's likely a setup issue and one or more of your helpers aren't generating power.

I got stuck at the exact same place in this scenario and was able to complete it. Keep at it!

21. chieflongshin

I think there could be a valve issue yes as I tried the above set up kindly posted and I could only get 15mph at the yard ( tried starting scenario again ).

I don’t personally think the rear is throttling up so it could be that valve.
    If I place the camera near the throttle handle of loco three does that move when applying power? I guess that would be an easy way to know.

22. Stockton Rails

I think the throttle handle in the lead dpu unit moves in sync with the lead unit at the front of the train... I usually just check the exhaust and/or radiator fans on both dpu units to make sure those locos throttle up and down in sync with the units up front. Check that MU-2A valve in loco 3 and let us know if it’s set to ‘Lead or Dead’.

Also (important)- if you do have to change the MU-2A valve setting in loco 3, be *sure* to turn the Banking radio on again in the lead unit at the front of the train... this radio gets reset to Off if any changes are made to the DPU units in back (discovered this in my early DPU tests in Oakville Sub).

23. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

The valve wouldn't affect the powering up, it controls the brake connection.

Yes, i believe that the throttle handle should move on unit 3. The ammeter should also increase as you increase the throttle (as long as the reverser isn't in neutral), which you should be able to see through the window- turning on gauge lights can help.

24. chieflongshin

Thank you so much for all your help guys. I can confirm the spreadsheet at the top was the one that got it going. Really appreciate all the inputs as this was doing my nut. I’ll report back if I make it to top.

All four locos are spinning up.

I think from what I can input into this from experience is just methodically check each logo and the fuses. Start at the back and work forward

• Like Like x 1
  25. chieflongshin

Finally done . 2.5 hours and 40 miles. Deceptively long. Thank you everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I remember falling in it once. You've shown a hard spirit! GJ

• Like Like x 1
  27. Stockton Rails

...funny what you said at the end of your text- start at the back first. Some of the actual railroad DPU setup instructions I’ve seen online (and I have seen a few) recommend doing exactly that- ‘condition’ (or configure) the DPU units at the rear of the train first, then condition the units at the front of the train. And once that’s done, then you enable banking between the two sets of locos by ‘turning on’ the banking radio in the lead unit up front.

In real life, there’s much more configuration needed on the two radios involved in the banking communication- the radio in the lead DPU unit in back, and the radio in the lead unit at the front of the train. DTG couldn’t easily replicate all of that detail in the sim of course... so they just have you ‘turn on’ the radio in the lead up front to enable banking.

All of that said, glad you’re good to go at this point.

28. chieflongshin

I feel inspired to have a crack at another. I think main reason in all honesty I started at back was the mission structure. That said it’s better to start at back, get to front and drive rather than needing to leg it all way back to front