Help Modifying Files On The Class 58...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Oct 3, 2020.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Would anyone be kind enough to walk me through modifying some files please???

I have the Skyhook Games Class 58 and as far as I'm aware the AWS "clear" sound is wrong!!! They [Skyhook] have made it as a bell instead of the modern "sonar ping"...

The 58's were (again, as far as I'm aware) the first locos to be fitted with this new style of tone...

I emailed Skyhook ages ago (well before the pandemic) telling them of their mistake, but never received a response...

I'd like to rectify this myself if possible... I'm certain you can replace the bell sound for a ping sound but don't know where to start without messing everything up!!!

Thanks in advance

Eric

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

How are you at copying and renaming files

Go to railworks\Assets\SHG\Class58Pack01\Audio\Cab and find aws_bell.dav - rename it aws_bell.bak
    I chose the Class 66Pack03 which is the EWS version for the new Ping
    \railworks\Assets\RSC\Class66Pack03\RailVehicles\Audio\RailVehicles\Class66\Cab and find T_CAB_AWSClear.dav
    COPY that file and paste in to the Class 58 folder then Rename to aws_bell.dav

That is it

I think the AWS "Ping" is maybe a bit quiet from the Class 66 so you could use a different one if you wish

Peter

3. ntypeman

Hi Peter...

Thanks for that... :cool: I don't have the 66 pack you have, however I do have the other class 66's, class 142, 156 & 158 & many modern EMU's... Is the basic process the same???

Eric

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes Eric :)

The game looks for a dav file to play whatever the sound is - as long as the replacement has the same name it works
    I had a problem where the AWS Horn in the 68 was too quiet for me and I changed it

Find a unit/loco that you wish to use the AWS "Ping" from and find the AWS file.
    Even if you don't have the same Class 66 the sound files are very similar between the locos

The Class 142 is in railworks\Assets\AP_Waggonz\Class142Pack\Audio\RailVehicles\Cab AP_142_Cab_AWS_Clear.dav
    Try that one.

Peter

5. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...

Will do...

Eric

6. ntypeman

Peter...

I tried this morning to do as you said... I go through Railworks\Assets\SHG\Class58Pack01 but when i get to Class58Pack01 there is no audio file folder...

Upon entering Class58Pack01 all that's there are Blueprints.pak & Class58Pack01Assets.ap

Apologies in advance to appear to be a thicko when it comes to stuff like this... That's why I mainly stick to driving the trains!!!

Eric

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

All the Downloads that come thru Steam is in the form of an ap file .
    When Steam checks your files it just look to see if you have an ap file

If you have 7zip installed Right Click on the Class58Pack01Assets.ap and chose Extract Here
    The folders will then appear and you will see the Audio folder

If you use another program for unzipping the files the process is slightly different

Peter

8. ntypeman

Cheers Peter...

I'll let you know how i get on...

Eric

9. ntypeman

Peter...

Just the job, perfect... Think I need to amend the AWS warning tone now as I'm guessing it should be the more modern screech than a hooter... Don't suppose you know if I'd be correct on that or not???

Eric

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes Eric,

The AWS Horn Sound sound should also be the newer quieter version
    Same as before - rename the Class 58 AWS horn aws_alarm.dav to aws_alarm.bak
    The copy the AP_142_Cab_AWS_Warn.dav to the Class 58 folder and rename it to aws_alarm.dav

Easy when you have done it before

I think there is a Marketplace version of the 58 in EWS livery which installs to a slightly different folder Class58Pack02
    So if you had that then you would do the same to change the "Horn" and "Ping" sounds

Peter

11. ntypeman

Cheers Peter...

I thought that may have been the case... Dunno why Skyhook couldn't have gotten it right in the first place...???

Incidentally, does it have to be aws_bell or could it be aws_ping??? Just wondering that's all or is it opening another whole can of worms renaming files messes other files up & causes a domino style effect so to speak...???

Eric

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Hi Eric,

It all depends on how the file was named by the creators. A dav file is an Audio file that TS20xx recognises
    The system looks for the dav file called aws_bell and then plays it. It could be anything it plays - like a Steam Whistle :D
    If you called the replacement file aws_ping the system would not use it.

If you replace a file in a folder the replacement must have the same name for the system to see it.

Peter

13. ntypeman

Peter...

many thanks for your help... all files swapped & sorted now... My 58's sound like i think they should now in the cab "AWS wise" anyway...

Eric

• Like Like x 1