Cambrian Coast Line For Tsw

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gswales, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Gswales

Gswales Member

This would make a brilliant route for TSW starting from Shrewsbury Station in a medium sized town to climbing over the Cambrian mountains to Machynlleth where the line devices with a line going to Aberystwyth and another line climbing through tunnels and clinging to the coast to more seaside destinations. The main motive power in the line is the 158 DMU and freight services from Class 37 locomotives. This route is close to me as I live along the route and it would really come alive in TSW

• Like Like x 5
  2. lukeb4472

lukeb4472 New Member

what about in steam days. think; manors, dukedogs, 4mts (and the mogul version), 3mt tanks, 4300s, 2251s and the 2mt tenders

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think this could provide good interest in several ways.
    Firstly it is a very scenic route with good opportunity for passenger and freight. Second it has a completely different signal and operation system to the mainlines, being in cab signalled with KM/h rather than MPH signing and also that many services are split serving, so split at Machynlleth to go to either Aberystwyth or Pwllhelli, so running a service which basically must be back to meet up with a joining service would be a decent challenge.
    Only downsides I can see is it is a bit long at 80 miles from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth or 118 to Pwllhelli, and a lot of it is single track through countryside so trackside interest is minimal

4. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

OMG Yes i was thinking this would be a great route, it should be a period setting though because the last freight train on the line was in the 90s maybe?

5. Gswales

Gswales Member

There is no freight now but still ballast trains that travel along the line in the evening and early morning

6. Cheesypuff2

ahhh ok, maybe the route could be shrewsbury to Macchlynth with the idea to extend in the future?

7. Gswales

Gswales Member

Be nice to have the Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth section be an interesting route section and yeah could have the coast route from Machynleth as a future add on or extension in the future.

8. Cheesypuff2

yea sadly dont think it will ever happen but we can live in hope, issue is its quite slow line really

9. ARuscoe

This would be my less preferred option as all trains basically call at the same places so besides some ECS moves at Machynlleth there wouldn't be much variety.
    Would much prefer the other end from Machynlleth to the two termini allowing for ECS moves, joining and splitting trains etc

10. Cheesypuff2

yea maybe your right actually, dont want a repeat of RT just doing the same route back and forth!

11. ARuscoe

The other thing to note is that between Shrewsbury and Machynlleth there are only three stops! So in a 70 minute journey you'd mostly be speed checking and looking at yet another green rolling hill passing by

12. Cheesypuff2

yea fair enough, plus the coastal bits would be nicer to see, so a route from Pwheli to aberystwyth via Machnllyth would be good

13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Personally I would love to see this, but if we could have one section only I would choose the Machynlleth to Pwllheli as it is very scenic. I would love to see it in the 80's with a class 25 and mark 1's (and/or the Welsh named class 37/4's in large logo blue) plus the class 101 which has already been made.

• Like Like x 2
  14. c1t9b

c1t9b New Member

I started creating this route for Train Simulator 20xx however have decided to hold off. Upon release of the editor tools for TSW I will be creating this route as I live on it and have cab footage of the route I recorded.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gswales

Gswales Member

Now that sounds like an awesome idea just hope if you can do it that it can be put put for console as I play TSW on console and thus route is one I would enjoy driving

16. c1t9b

c1t9b New Member

I'm not too sure how it'd be put on console, but I'm sure they would be a way

17. Class43Harrison

Class43Harrison Member

Great! Agreed! :D

18. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I’d definitely love to see the Machynlleth to Phwelli/Aberystwyth section. Particularly with regard to the in cab signalling, I think this would make for a great gameplay element as it’s something new to TSW

• Like Like x 1
  19. Class43Harrison

Class43Harrison Member

Yup. Certainly agreed. :D