Class 31 Training

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by michael hooley, Sep 28, 2020.

1. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had a problem completing the Class 31 training scenario?. I do as instructed but it does not go on to the next instruction, twice the brakes have not realeased fully leaving me in limbo.

Any help to complete this training would be welcome.

As far as I can see I have performed the instructions to the letter, why are not the brakes releasing fully when set to release?.

2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Hm I did the tutorial and a couple of runs with the 31 by now and never had that issue. How long did you wait for the brakes to release? It takes about a minute or two, you can watch the needle drop slowly as it is an old loco.

Other than that, the only things that I can imagine are stopping the train, are the direct break or handbrake...

Edit: Also I remembered you have to switch the can a couple of times, did you make sure that you released all the brakes in the other cab?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  3. michael hooley

Yes I watched the brake needle drop to almost zero then it stopped and did not completely release, I tried applying and releasing the brakes a few time but it never relesed completely. I did carry on and hook up the first set of wagons and then the next rake with the instructions following on behind. Lol.
    I missed the run around instruction till my forth attempt, the good thing is I am getting plenty used to the class 31 with i suppose is the object of the training.

4. mclitke

I really don't know then. I mean as long as there is no red indicator in the HUD, you should be fine to move.
    If the issue persists I can try and rerun the tutorial this evening and look for anything that causes problems.

5. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

But where are the replies from the game developers?
    I'm not sure but before releasing the brakes you could try to change the braking mode on the back wall. If set to air to vacuum or vice versa.

6. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Sorry to see you are having difficulty with the training scenario, I have made a note of what you've experienced and will look into it, if anyone else experiences the same thing please let me know.

7. mclitke

Well the idea is that if there is an issue some community members might be able to help before the devs need to step in here.
    From what I remember changing the braking mode should not be necessary, I never touched it and the tutorial worked fine for me still.
    Like I said, later when I am back from work I will gladly load up the br 31 tutorial and have a look if I find an issue or something that could cause an issue if wrongly operated - not saying that op did, but you never know.

8. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Don't remember any problems when I did it.
    In use the brakes seem old and slow like the loco itself.

9. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

My suspicion would be you have used the release position of the brake handle and then applied the brake within 2 minutes. Don't do this. Only ever use the running position on the brake handle. The release position counter-intuitively is not used to release the brakes... well it does but not in the way you might expect.

The release position is used for releasing stuck brake distributors and has a very specific operating procedure, put simple when used it increases the brake pipe pressure up to 78psi causing any stuck brake distributors to release, and then slowly bleeds it down over a period of 2 minutes so as to not activate the brakes.

However, if you apply the brake within the 2-3 minute bleed down period the distributors will stick at the pressure they were applied at, so if the brake pipe has dropped down to 75psi when you apply the brake, you must increase the brake pipe to 75psi for the brake to release fully. However the running position is 72psi and so you cannot release the brakes. As such you must repeat the overcharge procedure. The overcharge procedure is quite simple, hold the handle in the release position for 30s to a minute and then let it return to running and leave it alone for 2-3 minutes! If you do have to apply the train brake, repeat the procedure. However, simply just don't ever use the position and leave it well alone, just use the running position to release the brake.

The other thing to note about the 31/PCA is the wagons run on goods timing and so will take 30-45 seconds for the brakes to release, longer if on a lengthy train. Do not be tempted to use the release position to speed this up, as it will not have any effect at all. Just let it do its thing.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

I tried it this morning without any issue. if the brakes are taking a while to release press the ; key to overcharge. it speeds things up (a bit). also, when applying the brake set it back to running. if you do not, it can reduce the reservoir, which can result in a longer release time.
    Either way, it is not a quick release brake...

11. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I've no problems with brakes or the Class 31 itself but i've found another gamebreaking bug. It was a thing in TSW2020 too:

01. Before coupling the remaining 10 waggons everythings fine. The closed door has a trigger and can be used from the outside.
    01.jpg

02. After uncoupling all waggons, the closed door has no trigger anymore but as you can see, the Drivers seat has the trigger now. You can't go on or finish this Scenario anymore.
    02.jpg

03. Same scenario, but this time I left the door open, still without a trigger but Drivers seat has a trigger.
    03.jpg

04. Once you enter the driver’s seat the door trigger reappears. The order of the triggers is wrong here and breaks the whole Scenario if you uncouple the waggons while the door is closed.
    04.jpg

12. michael hooley

Thank you for the info, I thought i would give it another try, game crashed 3 times, so frustrating, I have given up.

13. michael hooley

It is getting more frustrating, just done a verify cache, it reported 3 missing files and is now downloading 13.8 Gig.

14. michael hooley

Well I tried again, this time it crashed twice.

Persevered and I have done it, Yes!. I did the following three things and it went flawlessly, I do not know which of the three made the difference, I suspect the graphics card driver.
    1. I installed the original driver (446.14) for my Nvidea 2070 super Graphics Card.
    2. I turned off sharing overlay in Geforce Experience.
    3. I started TSW2 form the Steam Play button.

Hope this is not a fluke.

Mike.