Main-spessart Bahn: Laufach To Heigenbrucken

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by forteanjo, Oct 5, 2020.

1. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

I remember reading somewhere that the even with the help of the banker locomotive, in TSW the climb from Laufach to Heigenbrucken would really struggle with anything over 2,200 tonnes.

It seems this is still the case in TSW2 as I've just taken about 6 attempts to get the DB 83158 service up the hill from Laufach. The service is 2,418 tonnes. I eventually managed to get enough momentum to reach Heigenbrucken by starting with my throttle at 83% and slowly reducing it to counter wheel slippage.

Anybody got good tips on the best set up for this climb.

2. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

I have also the problem to drive this one at Journey mode, but it is not due to train setup but due to brakes.
    Before leaving the Laufach set loco and put train brake to Full Service for a minute than release brakes completly (for sure is good to overcharge brake pipe to 5,6bar and wait till it get back to 5,0bar) and start run uphill. You get no wheelslip even on full throttle if you drive about 50km/h.
    Seems like brakes on wagons are little buged and are locked in some small preapplication and need to be reset!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Cheers for that Matto, that does make a difference.

4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

TrainSim-Matt in his MSB live stream last week said they had to change the Fuel scenario on MSB so that the train was double headed and had a banker locomotive because the new physics hindered it getting up the Spessart Ramp. Maybe these trains need to be double headed too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I have definitely already made it up easily without wheelslip going about 55 km/h. Just overcharge the brakes a bit to make sure they‘re released (I started in Aschaffenburg so my brakes were definitely set right in Laufach).

• Like Like x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Some HPPT ratio makes this impossible in TSW2, especially on a wet track. Locos are weaker these days :)
    It can be seen in the case of the V-Max. For me, it's like ~~75% of the 2020 value.

8. Lamplight

Sorry if I seem stupid, but what exactly is this?

9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am sorry - my bad :)
    Horse Power Per Ton

10. Lamplight

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks:)

11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In the case of Preserved locos, this value is greater than 10 sometimes (some passenger services) and there are problems with the train.
    UPDATE
    2 is a lot and usually enough for 2% grade eg. MSB is weird now. "Remastered" SPG Cumberland -> SandPatch trains are about ~ 1,5 and everything is just fine (and 20 MPH most of the time haha yeah)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2020
  12. Lamplight

If MSB has shown anything than it‘s that there are problems with loco power. Sorry to put it so bluntly but the Br 146 is simply atrocious right now. Hope this will get fixed when DTG moves from preservation to bug fixing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I usually rely on borrowed data and someone else's research work, besides, I am an amateur haha, and yesterday I even powered the locomotives from two pantographs, hoping it will help :D :D It's playable, but yeah it's broken too :(

14. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

The problem is easy. With the tsw2 physics (that is much similar of real life than tsw2020) an uphill with 2,1% of grade is very complicated to get with a 2000t+ freight train. Also here the problem is another one. The br185 is not good to do banking operation because it is designed for running not to apply a great tractive effort. The solution in real life is easy. More locomotive to the train or just operating with a banking from the start of the journey (in italy we call it symmetric-couple). For exemple if the banking loco was the br155 the train will go better. Also overcharge the brakes help a bit to get inmediatly an highter speed at the beginning of the ramp. 2.200t is near to the limit of the br 185 in normal situation. As this is a particulary situation the banking loco need to push more than 4.500t of mass, for this reason is just like if you haven't it on the train. It just need to lose 200t and the train will go on the ramp at ~35/40kmh. What to say..... fix it by putting 2 br185 like a banking configuration and you will go up to the ramp without problem.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lamplight

That‘s why they used Br 151s in real life. Br 185 saw little to no use in banking operations; at least on the real MSB. Would have been cool to get them as loco DLC for MSB. The banking operations in TSW are not accurate to real life but a six axle engine in the back would have been more realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

So we fall prey to some really realistic game physics improvements. It is even a great consolation :D
    No irony. Now only the rest needs to be adapted to these new realities.

• Like Like x 1
  17. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

I know. There are a lot of locos that the games needed to be much real. But at the moment a better banking loco could be the br155 but because it is a separate dlc, so you can't use it (because if someone haven't this loco can't do this type of service) so a better things is just to set 2 br185 as banking locos. Not realistic but for the moment it can work

18. Lamplight

Not terribly unrealistic either though. Extraordinarily heavy trains used 2 Br 151s as banking locomotives. If we accept the use of Br 185s as banking locos then having 2 of them is not really any more unrealistic as having Br 185s in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trainoob

Trainoob New Member

Hi, i'm having really a hard time doing this route on journey mode. I'm not a train expert by any means, can you show me a step-by-step guide on how to overcharge brake pipe ?
    About wheelslip, is it something related to brakes ? How do i know if my train is wheelsliping ?
    Also, i find on youtube this video and i'm a little bit confused on what he's doing cause it seems so easy for him to climb the Heigenbrucken hill while i'm moving like a turtle.

Thanks and happy train to everyone. :)