Model Trains

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GuitarMan, Oct 5, 2020.

1. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

So - We are all train fans - or gaming fans who like trains...

I thought it could be fun to start a thread on Model Trains - does anyone have a setup inspired by any of the routes included in TSW?

Does anyone have any strange "Off the rails" type of collections where all the "rules" of Model Railways have been thrown out of the window?

Lets see you pictures of your layouts - good or bad, loads of work to do, or finished, weird or wonderful, whatever you have :D

I'll kick off, I have started a basic layout with my 4 year old son. He loves it, we have three trains - a standard 3F (he calls Thomas) with a wagon, a tanker and a brake van, a class 120 railcar (he calls Daisy), and a Eurostar... The layout is very much work in progress (I'm sure you will see the cardboard underlay), but it will grow with him over time - maybe I can get him inspired to model after one of the routes.

IMG_1852.jpg 20201002_171106378_iOS (2).jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

No layouts myself, though I do have a small collection of OO gauge Diesel and Steam locos from Hornby and Bachmann.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I started a thread asking about model railways in the Steam forum a few years ago which had some interesting comments. One chap was planning a model of Broomielaw (in the Weardale and Teesdale Network in the '60s route) and, IIRC, had chosen to do so because of his experience in TS.

4. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

I have an N gauge layout that is proceeding at a glacial pace due to other commitments. It was used a number of times as the UKTS DCC demo layout on our stand. It is small enough to fit in my current car (more by luck than judgement) but was originally sized to fit my old Toyota Verso so it is portable.

Mostly BR blue era but I do have the 9 car Pendolino with DCC sound which is great fund to have on the layout.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  5. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Awesome thread!
    I'm a model train poser. I love model trains, I keep up to date with the newest releases on DTG Media/Rapido Trains, but I don't own any.
    I will someday though, I know enough about them! I really like N Gauge models and the amount of detail we can fit into them is absolutely breathtaking, technology in 2020 is phenomenal.

I love seeing other peoples layouts and trains, lots of fun!

6. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I agree, I love seeing other layouts.

I normally volunteer at the local steam railway near me (Covid has severely limited that this year) but they have an OO guage layout of Stafford station, pre electrification, it’s a fantastic layout to watch they then have another OO layout and 2 N gauge layouts in the same room.

My son often spends more time in there if we go, than he does around the full size trains