Just Trains Midland Main Line

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael hooley, Oct 7, 2020.

1. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Is it just me approaching 80 that is confused with the Just Trains policy of sales, take the Midland Main Line as an example, nothing is stand alone anymore?. you need this you need that. (it is a lot of money to lay out on an add on) that needs you to spend even more for it to run.

The result is I buy nothing.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  2. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

People complained about the quality of both the routes and the scenarios in previous routes. They still include scenarios that don't require lots of DLC or they include realistic ones also.

The majority of people support the choice and the majority also support the shift towards very high quality routes over some extremely lacklustre efforts previously.

Perhaps it is you slightly, but I'm loving all of the MML stuff just now and will be adding Erewash Valley to my list also.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Just added Erewash Valley to the collection, but tonight WCML South will be on the menu.

4. AlexTheMole

AlexTheMole Active Member

Actually the two Midland Mainlines routes ARE stand-alone routes, the newly released Erewash Valley and the Derwent valley are route add-ons.

You can buy the MML Sheffield to Derby and it will work.
    You can buy the Derby-Nottingham-Leicester route and it will work (there is a SEPARATE version for if you do own the MML).
    The Derwent and Erewash lines are both secondary routes that connect to the mainline so obviously need the mainlines to work.

It's no different to how JT did the Chiltern routes. Both the Chiltern Mainline and London to Aylesbury routes work fine on their own, but if you own both they combine.

Edit: Maybe having a better way of categorising their routes on the website could help. "Main Route" - for stand alone routes and "Route Extension" - for add-ons like the Erewash?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Some people like shorter routes and others longer routes
    Just Trains is giving people the option to just buy the sections they want to build up the MML section at a time.

Which is better than the DTG version where you start with one route - like Chatham Mainline - and then they extend the route to Tonbridge but you have to buy the complete route again if you want the longer version.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

JTs policy is to have main lines and then extend them with short extensions. Works for some, doesn't work for others. I bought all of the WML add ons, but am waiting for a pack bundle on the MML

7. michael hooley

I think that is going to be my best route, excuse the pun, wait for a sale of the complete set.

8. Odd1ne

Odd1ne Active Member

I think it is an excellent route I can see why they have done it like they have and obviously you can see the time and effort that has gone into the route the modeling is really good I'd recommend it

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it would be good if, in each segment of the route, they add to the description a list of what each part of the route is with links to each part.

As for the comment about DTG's method of rereleasing it and charging the same price for a slightly longer version (for me, about $43.49 or $45.49 most of the time in CAD, which is still better than some JT prices after conversion, though I have picked up some good deals from JT as well), I do note I'm not completely a fan of the pricing method used. I would prefer if they just release the entire thing as one long route. However, in the case of something like Western Mainlines, getting the complete collection in that example (yes, it exists as an item) can result in a very expensive price tag. For Western Mainlines, you don't even get a train with it and you have to pick up the 153 and the Voyager Advanced to play the lion's share of the scenarios for it. I guess it's comparable to buying the full route twice (the smaller and longer versions in the DTG example of Chatham Main Line), but it would be nice if those coming along later were able to pay the original price. That said, I'm aware that JT isn't as well-off as some might believe given how much it can cost to make these types of projects and maintain the web site, as well as all of the Just Flights stuff. It still sucks for people like me who are relatively poor and who usually look around for deals. Hence why much of my buying is on Steam to date, though I did pick up Southwestern Expressways and Bristol-Avonmouth at their discounts yesterday through the JT site (one isn't on Steam, the other at a better price with more varied content that uses extra trains once I can get them, or that I can swap out if I decide I don't need them).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

11. Cyclone

What I meant is a full list of all extensions for the route on the route page, and a list of other extensions on the individual extension pages. Basically, the same static list but modified slightly for the page that contains the part in question.

12. michael hooley

Not noticed it before but route sets on the Just Trains website have a diffetent colour banding across the cover, this is great to know which download is part of the group. and make me more comfortable when ordering.

Mike

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

JT.jpg If I am looking for something from Just Trains I click on the section, say Routes, then click on Publisher and select Just Trains and it only shows their items

14. Cyclone

Right, but I mean go on the initial route page and see a list of extensions as part of the description. Then on the extension, get a list of all extensions. I do believe you were replying to the other post and not me, however. And I did not notice the banding before, it's very obvious in this picture.

15. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I agree Mike. Being retired too I am waiting for a reduction and like ARuscoe, I too have been waiting for a pack bundle. Just Trains could have a Christmas sale, but think they missed a trick. I think that the many times they have been streaming this route, they would have earned quite a bit had they discounted them for the day of the stream.

Rivet recently bought out two new routes and discounted them as a pre-order which encouraged me to purchase. JT should adopt the same policy.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  16. Cyclone

I actually bought Suburban Glasgow too. I would not have bought it full price, and the main reason I went ahead is to myself show off the route. Think I'll launch my channel with it, in fact! Though I'm also still playing through London-Brighton, and by then I should be a pro at electric trains and drive well on the new route.

17. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Just because you are a pro at one particular route doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good (pro) at another route...

Route knowledge takes time to learn (as I'm sure Peter (749006) & 805Benbow who both worked on the footplate IRL will vouch for me) and driving a train and the physics involved is vastly different on each route...

Just because you "have signed the road" on one particular route doesnt mean you will be accomplished at another... The traction, maybe, but drive a familiar train on an unfamiliar route & I'll bet my bottom dollar you don't fare too well...

Please, please, please don't take this the wrong way... I'm not saying it to put you down, just saying as it would be in real life...

Eric

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Driving a Modern EMU is simple with one lever to operate power and brake - like the 377, 378, 395, 444, 450 etc
    The older EMUs have two levers for power and brakes. but still simple. 319, 320, 321 etc
    Try a Class 86 or 87 if you want a proper Electric driving experience.

And whilst you are on the Brighton Line there is a great scenario called League Cup Special - drive London to Brighton "Non Stop" but you are following another service so very few Green signals. Try doing that one to time.

19. Cyclone

You might laugh, but I was playing Clydesline Direct this evening (it also led to a weird game crash post-run, posted in bugs) and actually found the yellows and reds I ran into helpful. I took a minor time penalty at one station, the next station then had me sitting there for two minutes (why did I have to leave so early to get there, hmm) before the interfering train removed itself and I could proceed. So I actually like having yellows and reds because, once I know the amount of time needed to safely stop, I can actually play it so that I see the red, slow down, and continue at a slow pace in case it goes green or yellow. And sure enough, I did have a moment of adjustment to the 320, but I figured it out and I'm ready to go on that one now. Scored 958 due to issues speeding down a hill because I didn't plan properly for it, and also because the emergency break tripped while I was stopping at a station anyway, penalizing me 12 unnecessarily deducted points (yes, red signal at the platform end). Still a good run, particularly since I was recording and was trying to read off information at the same time. THAT makes driving hard. The commentary? Maybe not as much, but I tried.