Snow And Ice

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Tvblue1959, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Tvblue1959

Tvblue1959 New Member

How long does it take to drain the brake cylinders after coupling to vehicles in the Snow and I e scenario on xbox,I've been waiting 10 mins and gets no lower ghan 2psi in cylinders ?

2. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

What route is this on?

3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

10 min is too long for anything including US very long trains, but...
    I don't fully understand what are You asking for?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Class395

Class395 Active Member

If you have the Alerter System on it also activates the PCS valve. What happens after you couple to a car with PCS active, the valve will hold the brakes on for around 2 minutes ish (i think). Only then the valve will let you release the brakes.
    This is from the Sand Patch Grade manual:
    upload_2020-10-9_10-18-30.png

This is for the AC4400CW as it's a more modern locomotive and works differently:
    upload_2020-10-9_10-20-1.png

Switching (or shunting whatever lol) is bit of a pain with the alerter on since PCS activates every single time you couple to a car so I switch with the alerter off while doing work in the yard and turn it on before heading out on the main line. I don't know if it's the correct operation procedure though (probably not)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. wbuzz1

wbuzz1 New Member

Great Job

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Actually, it can take up to 10 minutes to drain the BC on the Powering America scenario, as I recall. I thought it was a bug the first couple times.

7. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Yep, depends on the length of the train and the locomotive that powers the braking system. The brakes work sequentially meaning they release and apply car by car. It's standard operating procedure to apply independent (locomotive brakes) and then release the train brake. That way when the train brake releases the train doesn't roll away.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

But BC is the loco brake. It should unbrake almost immediately. BP - another fairy tale.

9. Class395

Class395 Active Member

*DICLAIMER*
    I have been interpreting brake gauges in US rolling stock completely wrong, proceed at your own risk

I'm pretty sure brake cylinders are on all wheels of the train though, not only on the locomotive and thus are part of the Train brake. The pressure that shows on the gauges (red needle) in the locomotive is the pressure in the locomotive brakes but also the target pressure in the cylinders on the entire train which will take a while to apply at the rear of the train. We know that the brakes are applied/released on the last car when the Brake Pipe pressure at the rear (digital indicator on the banking radio) is more or less similar to the white needle on the brake gauge which indicates the brake pipe pressure at the front.

At least I think so, I'm no expert on US rolling stock, european trains are so much simpler to operate lol

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Term (in-game tag?) BC is for loco only! :) 100% sure - but, a nuance. We know what is about.
    I only worry something is still not good with someone's loco settings.

Since the locomotive is typically shorter than the entire train, air propagation for the BC alone should be correspondingly faster (instantaneous in principle). BP, on the other hand, depends on the length of the train. We consider the train to be un-braked if the BP Rear is greater than 75 and the Flow is less than 60. Then it is not full PSI everywhere, but we can move :)

If the train does not move or the BC, despite releasing the automatic brake and the independent brake (we can hold the bail-off to be sure), does not show zero - we did something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2020
  11. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Do you mean BC as the hud indicator or as in Brake Cylinder?

12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Both HUD and in-cab indicators for an engineer
    BC = Brake Cylinder = Loco Brake (Cylinder)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2020
  13. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Oh well, I guess my twitter bio is true then (certified idiot) lol. I've been reading the brake gauges in the US rolling stock wrong for over a year.

14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Oh, don't worry, The men from Run8 have been sticking it in my head for months :D This is counter-intuitive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Thanks for the info, I just put in a diclaimer in my earlier post so people don't commit the same mistake as I did

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a little off-topic in this thread but we had this discussion in a previous thread and got information from a real CSX engineer that I‘d like to share.
    In real life, the brake pipe is obviously only connected once someone climbs down from the loco and connects it while it‘s instantaneously connected in TSW. When you couple to cars in real life you first put the auto break to full application and wait for the brakes to apply (on your loco; brake pipe not connected yet). Then you can connect the brake pipe and there won‘t be the large pressure difference in the brake pipe that triggers PCS. You can now release the brakes and continue switching.
    The problem in TSW is simply the istantaneous connection of the brake pipe that doesn‘t happen in real life.

• Helpful Helpful x 1