Route Editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Armardar, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Armardar

Armardar Member

Hi,

Is it possible for two people to edit one route from two different computers at the same time?

Trying to accelerate the development time of a pretty ambitious project.

Thanks,

Armardar

2. mike370

mike370 Active Member

Yes it's absolutely possible (though not physically at the very same time, no slick linkage of machines involved), by simply dividing up the route into smaller numbers of distinct scenery tile sections, and have each route builder focus working on just those tiles - before then combining the work into the master copy of the route (which will be installed on just one pc i.e. the project manager's machine). It's only track laying that's extremely difficult to split. You could keep track of the tiles shared at any one moment via a simple spreadsheet.

I know I have a number of tutorial reference resources squirreled away (somewhere) that provide top tips on how to best go about the process. I'll try my best to find them & dig them out for you this coming week.

In the meantime, I can point you to a very good tutorial (by Cactus Juice - his whole YouTube series on TS route building is excellent! I believe a dozen or so episodes in total), on route building collaboration. Where he guides you through the file structure of a route, explaining what's key and what's not as important for the build process - plus gives a decent intro as to how you might go about sharing files during a collaborated route build. The collaboration tips start about 11.30 mins in. But I strongly suspect you'll find the whole video helpful. Here's the link:

Hope that helps! :)

3. Armardar

Armardar Member

This is a brillaint response and greatly appreciated. Thank you Mike. If you find any further resource. That would be brilliant.

• Like Like x 1