Upper Part Of The Hud

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by montes_1234, Oct 3, 2020.

1. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

For me the earlier version of the upper part of the HUD was better looking compared to the new one. This especially relates to the size of it. It was perfectly visible from a range of distance. Lower part ie speedometer is ok.

• Like Like x 4
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The TSW2020 one was better all round. Better font, better size, better design. Most aspects of the speedometer section are better in TSW2. Apart from the things that aren’t working correctly yet the only thing I really don’t like about that is the seven segment number displays, which also appear in the time display in the upper part of the HUD, and the very odd selection of divisions on the speedo.

There doesn’t appear to be any plan to change anything about it though as those initial complaints have dried up. Let this thread be a reminder that it’s still difficult to read for many players and more so for console users sat a little further from the screen than most PC gamers. I can’t play from the sofa any more, I have to get what is now known as ‘the gaming chair’ out and plonk it right in front of the TV. As this chair is also the cat’s bed it causes much hissing when I turf him out. Even my cat hates the new font, that’s got to be a first for a simulator game.

• Like Like x 15
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Full modularity, configurability. Maybe someday.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. Add the TSW2 numbers for the brake system to the TSW 2020 HUD and I‘d use that in a heartbeat.

That would be ideal.

This is so true. If anyone from DTG happens to read this: Please increase the font size or give us the option to do so. The TSW 2020 HUD was perfectly readable for console users; the TSW2 HUD is extremely difficult to read on a sofa etc.

• Like Like x 4
  5. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Our complaints may have dried up, but we still don't like it :)
    Perhaps they've been drowned out.
    Still would like to see the next signal/speed change dropped to the bottom left.
    Hate having to keep my eyes scanning bottom right, top right,
    back to left again.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. DROGE

DROGE Active Member

I'll add my name to the list that thought the TSW2020 HUD was superior in pretty much all areas to the TSW2 HUD. I can't see how adding more black to a HUD can ever be a good thing, regarding transparency and it not interfering too much with gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I like minimalism, also when it comes to colors, but it's a matter of taste.

8. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I can't get used to the TSW2 UI, it's cluttered and tough to read. It takes me an extra second just to find the information I need. I wish there was an option to change it into the 'classic' style. Very odd decision on DTG to move forward with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DROGE

DROGE Active Member

I was more referring to transparency/opacity and reflectivity, rather than taste or colour aesthetic preferences. Black is usually kept far away from HUDs in most games.

And yes, I'm sure as many people prefer the TSW2 that preferred the TS2020 HUD. All just opinions and preferences.

10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Still about taste. For me, TSW2 is better. And better than TSW2 would a simple choice :)

11. DROGE

DROGE Active Member

The scientific aspects around the opacity of some colours is not "taste". And great, I gave my preference as part of the discussion. I'm not sure why I need to be challenged in two posts and told your preference.

If it's that you'd like the "last word" on this, apologies - go ahead and post more about your preference, and I'll not reply. ;)

12. Lamplight

Besides font size that‘s my main problem as well. I get that they probably did this to make it easier to read but without the background the HUD just blended in better. It was overall less intrusive.

Edit: Grammar

13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Don't care about the last word. I like the opacity in some colours. Matter of taste for me, not a science.
    I'm sad that it makes you so unhappy :)
    I also hope you keep your word!
    Best regards

14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The text still needs to be made bigger/easier to read at the top of the screen and in most of the menus.

I like the new lower right HUD apart from the enormous ball for the accelerometer, the location of the door open icon and the way the speed is spaced out around the outer edge. I would also prefer a red line rather than a red whatever it is reflecting the track speed.

The rest of the HUD, particularly the dark background is not an issue for me. The dark background makes seeing the HUD a lot easier.

• Like Like x 3
  15. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The new hud has grown on me, but still has a few issues:

> Arrival time at next station is repeated, wasting space.
    > Accelerometer is a circle. Why? Nobody knows. It's next to useless, especially as the circle doesn't even line up perfectly centre (seems to always be slightly too low)
    > Gradient takes up far too much space. Why do we have a huge train icon?
    > Speedo divisions are rather odd. Why can't they match the trains Speedo? Gives consistency and most likely will be more equal divisions on the speedo.

A few simple UI changes would make the HUD far better.

• Like Like x 8
  16. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

Still not a fan of the 7-segment LED font. As I’ve said before, it’s harder to read. (And the fact that the gradient indicator had to use a different font’s period and percent sign is an sign of its unsuitability.)

Hoping the HUD can become customizable, rather than forcing specific locations or fonts upon us (as we all have slightly different preferences).

Thanks for considering any improvements that could be made!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lamplight

Indeed.

18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Stop at station 913yards.......... 2060 AP Points
    That’s the TSW2 HUD showing how important and not important information is shown respectively!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

This was a very interesting thread to read, and it's good to see a mix of opinions.
    It would be nice if you were able to have it looking the way you personally enjoy, even if you were just given a different style option that was similar to the TSW2020 version. This isn't a promise that anything will change however we will look into it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Because why commit to fixing an accelerometer that is useless. Even if you ignore the fact it's a circle, it doesn't even center.

• Like Like x 3
  21. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

For me, the only improvement in the new HUD are the brake gauges. I use them often, nice to have 'm there.

As for the rest....
    - the infamous beach ball for the accelerometer needs to be changed back to small line. As it is now, it is completely useless
    - Who ever thought it would be a good idea to make speed partitions in km that go 0 / 35 / 70 / 105 / ... What's wrong with the normal, logical 0 / 40 / 80 / 120 ??
    - when using PZB: when in restricted monitoring the HUD works fine. Blue 85/70 alternates and flashes. But when in normal monitoring in the HUD the blue 85 should also flash to signify you're still in monitoring, but it doesn't. Blue 85 is lit up solidly, so one easily thinks you're cleared to line speed.
    - the text font on top of the screen needs to be changed back to font and size that was in TSW2020
    - The 'hill steepness' marker must be 'uncoupled' from the official front side of the loco in use and should be coupled to the driving direction

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  22. Lamplight

Agree with all of this. Some really bizarre decisions were made when the TSW 2 HUD was conceived...

• Like Like x 1
  23. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

I
    I agree with OnlyMe1909 the break gauges are clear and easy to read and with the HUD speed partitions and the gradient marker.
    the new font size is to small to read when playing from a TV can we go back to the the old font from TSW2020 please
    as for the beach ball for the accelerometer it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot

• Like Like x 1
  24. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Yes, the accelerometer needs to go back to the way it was it is hopeless as is.

• Like Like x 3
  25. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Actually I wonder about the necessity of an accelerometer.
    Because I don’t like the current implementation I never look at it.
    I find it easier to check how fast the numbers are going up and down.

And as for the indicator about the direction of travel......
    We have two choices. If we can’t remember or can’t check the in cab setting, we really should be playing outside.

Hud’s should be simple and uncluttered without unnecessary icons, like the inclinometer.
    As Sam said they desperately need a Ux designer.
    <Thinks> Johnny Ives has effectively retired.

26. martschuffing

I use it a lot especially now wheel slip is implemented, gives me critical info of how much power I need to safely put down on the wheels, wheel slip is a bad thing right? And I am pretty sure that not spinning the wheels for a train driver is a matter of pride.

27. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

I’ve learned to do without the accelerometer in TSW2 because I had to, it simply isn’t readable.

It’s a luxury to occasionally play the routes I have in TSW2020 where I’m able to tell at a glance whether I need to keep the power on, or to ease off in order to avoid going over the line speed.

• Like Like x 2
  28. martschuffing

Hence why I asked for it to be reverted.